PDA

View Full Version : help getting a whilteine rear swaybar in

crymson
08-21-2013, 06:18 AM
So, i got my stock sway bar out easy enough. wheels off, endlinks off, and now I can't get the whiteline in. It seems like I need to do one or more of the following to make it work: remove the exhaust, lower the rear differential, remove one or both of the tie rods?(I'm not good with suspension parts, the ones towards the center of the car that run mostly north/south), or remove the strut and coil spring from at least one side. Am i just looking at this wrong?

I believe that I have an aftermarket exhaust, I can't find anywhere to disconnect it south of the exhaust header.

ChrisD
08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
wiggle wiggle twist wiggle wiggle. That seems to be the way. Try going in from the opposite side of the car. It's possible, sometimes not especially easy. Strut/spring assembly is probably easiest to move if something has to move.

4thgenceli
08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
I had to slightly drop the tank to put one on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Galcobar
08-21-2013, 05:17 PM
I had to slightly drop the tank to put one on.

Also true when installing the naturally-aspirated version.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-21-2013, 10:00 PM
I disconnected the tank straps and placed the tank on a jack stand. Watch your old brake lines.

With your suspension hanging, you'll rub the bar on the struts. Might be a good idea to lift those up and compress the springs a little.

celica9303
08-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Alltrac or na Celica?

crymson
08-22-2013, 11:02 AM
It's an alltrac. Thought I put that in, my bad

4thgenceli
08-22-2013, 08:21 PM
We're just stupid. Its in the alltrac section.

You will just need to play with it. Aside from completely removing everything it just takes patience and finesse to get it in. The na models dropping the tank slightly always helped.

ChrisD
08-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Yeah it won't be the tank on the alltrac, just a lot of finesse. Worst case, start moving stuff out of the way. On both the 165 and the 205 I did it pretty painlessly though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

underscore
08-23-2013, 01:04 AM
If you can't completely remove your exhaust, try unhooking the rear hangers to drop it a bit. The very last one by the muffler should be bolted to the car so you can unbolt it if getting the metal out of the hanger is a pain.

mrdb
10-03-2013, 03:40 PM
stand at front of car. now from back right work from that side.

Guide

1) most important remember how you took the old one out and reverse.
2) if you forget no1 then goto 3
3) Hook arb over diff with bar end facing down
4) push through as far as pos.
5) from left side make sure arb is to the rear of drive shaft.
6) from right side rotate anticlockwise and push hub down to get clearance whilst pushing all the way through.
7) It should be in.

HTH.

crymson
10-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I got some help to work on it, but with the aftermarket 3" exhaust the PO put on it there's just no way. We got it *really* close, but we'd still have to have one of the arms off, and since I've got cut springs I'm just going to go coilover eventually, and since the only trip it's making any time in the near future is for emissions (~10 mile round trip) I'm not gonna waste any more time on it.

crymson
03-25-2014, 02:14 AM
So, I said I wasn't going to waste anymore time on it, but... I'm trying again, and I can't remember if the bar is supposed to go over or under the exhaust.

underscore
03-25-2014, 04:34 PM
over.

crymson
03-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Cool, that's what I thought, but my helper was insistent it must go under.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk