PDA

View Full Version : Hand Brake Cable

ctgriffi
08-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Pretty common problem, I betónoticed that my emergency brake wasn't working well, got underneath and saw that my right-rear cable was broken so only the left wheel was doing any stopping.

So, now I'm trying to source the correct cable, without buying the dealer part if I can help it. There's a couple of different aftermarket ones online, but this NAPA part, UP 94789 (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Parking-Brake-Cable-Right-Rear/_/R-UBK94789_0413024698), seems to be the closest one based on the measurements I've made of the original cable (about 65.5" long). Photos look right, too.

Any suggestions? Got another part you'd recommend? (93 GTS Liftback, MT)

Galcobar
08-21-2013, 03:41 AM
Be careful that the cable is the appropriate one for your rear brake setup -- disc or drum. The length is about the same, though I'd not want to try it with two different cables, but the cast piece which bolts to the backplate is distinct. It's quite odd that the right cable is 66", while the left cable is 61" and specifies it is for drum setups. Guess they couldn't enter the two cable types any other way, but the brackets built onto the cables are side-specific if I recall correctly -- which would explain why there are three part numbers for parking brake cables.

CABLE ASSY, PARKING BRAKE, NO.1 46410‑20340 (that would be the short section from the parking brake handle)
CABLE ASSY, PARKING BRAKE, NO.2 46420‑20290 (right)
CABLE ASSY, PARKING BRAKE, NO.3 46430‑20390 (left)

Rockauto.com has Beck/Arnley cables listed according to the Toyota part number (enter it without a dash and don't specify a manufacturer) for $38 each, versus the $67 for Toyota parts from Lithia Toyota.

Galcobar
08-21-2013, 03:49 AM
I should add this to the brake conversion sticky...

muscle_bound89@Live.com
08-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Rockauto.com
the short cable connecting the e brake to the rest of the brake cable was split in half on my 91 gts. THis website is fairly cheap and has OEM quality. Do not go throuh toyota for anything.
Asia and mitsumoto are all of toyotas OEM manufactures they get their part from at a quarter of the price.