PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I may be selling my Celica...

Doowstados
08-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Unfortunately I may be selling out here.

Car has been running rough lately and I finally got around to figuring out why. I found two cracks where the intake manifold is bolted the engine block.

I no longer have a garage to work in and can't do this repair on my own. I'll need to take it to a shop, where I anticipate it will cost in the neighborhood of $1,000 - $1,200 to have the manifold changed (can anybody chime in on this? I won't have time to actually get a quote for it until next week. Maybe one of you Toyota techs can check the book for me?).

I'm tired of pouring money into this thing, though I can't think of what else could possibly go wrong. There always seems to be something. People who have followed my project thread know that this car has had new struts, a new radiator, a re-manufactured engine, an auto to manual swap with new clutch and flywheel, a reman alternator, a new catalytic converter, new axles and more all done within the last 2-3 years.

What do you all think? Should I drop the $1,000 to have the intake manifold taken care of or should I try and sell it? If I did sell it, would I even get $1,500 for it? The re-manufactured engine has less than 10,000 miles on it. It's been a fun ride but I'm not sure I can keep doing this. I don't even have the luxury of A/C anymore!

If I sell it I'll probably get a used 7th gen GT-S.

187flatliner
08-19-2013, 03:53 AM
i know your feeling but is it worth it to sell? this is what you need to be thinking of....whats a new ride gonna cost and what if any NEW problems with a new ride, like you said alot of bumps, but YOU KNOW OF THESE. Also you know you fixed them....your always gonna have maintenance problems with a car your regularly drive......fix it and keep chugging is what i say.

celica9303
08-19-2013, 04:47 AM
Intake manifold cracked or block? My vote is get another manifold and gasket and swap it out. Shouldnt take but an afternoon and some basic hand tools.

crymson
08-19-2013, 05:03 AM
Expect to spend in the neighborhood of $8K to buy a good gen 7 that hasn't been "improved" by a PO. In my mind you know what you've got, and buying another car just opens up new problems to be solved. I only bought my gen 7 'cause I got a really good deal on a car that was single ownered by an old rich couple who used it to drive to the beach a couple times a year.

Shadowlife25
08-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Having the IM and gasket changed (If those are the only issues) shouldn't cost you anywhere near that much. As previously stated, you could have it done in a day with basic hand tools if you can find a spot to do it. Especially simple since it is on a 5s motor.

Doowstados
08-19-2013, 07:39 AM
If it's really that easy to do I'll just fix it then. I was under the impression that to gain access to the bolts you need to be able to lift the engine out of the car or at least lift it up, which I can't do right now.

Should I be able to just jack the car up and take off the lower crossmember to get access? Is that it?

I may be able to borrow somebody's driveway for 3-4 hours if that is the case.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Wobble socket extensions, sockets and a wrench. We can have that manifold off in 30 min with just hand tools.

The Captain
08-19-2013, 03:31 PM
5S manifolds have to be a dime a dozen in the boneyard...

An afternoon of cussing and you'll have it good as new.

grimmythereaper
08-19-2013, 04:30 PM
i would think you would be able to get to the manifold from the top of the engine bay.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-19-2013, 06:12 PM
You really just need a can of PB Blaster and small harbor freight torch to make things less swear-prone.

celica9303
08-20-2013, 02:36 AM
Hey Michael arent you 2 close by eachother?

celica9303
08-20-2013, 02:42 AM
No need to remove any crossmembers may jave to have a jack to lift the car up a bit to get under it to get the bolts under the runners but nothing you cant handle.

jdm_celica_gts
08-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Would you be able to take of your north/south motor mounts and rock the engine forward? I remember reading this somewhere but never found out if it was possible.

Doowstados
08-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Would you be able to take of your north/south motor mounts and rock the engine forward? I remember reading this somewhere but never found out if it was possible.

It would probably require taking off some more. The shift cables would need to come off the trans, so would some wiring, exhaust would need to be disconnected, etc.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-20-2013, 04:40 AM
4 bolts on the heat shield, 2 bolts on the O2 sensor, 6 on the manifold and 2-3 on the down-pipe. Seems reasonably simple.

celica9303
08-20-2013, 06:23 AM
4 bolts on the heat shield, 2 bolts on the O2 sensor, 6 on the manifold and 2-3 on the down-pipe. Seems reasonably simple.

Intake manifold not exhaust manifold :-)

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Haha. Man.

I need more sleep.

It's a pain, but totally doable.

Luni
08-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Dont be using a torch on anything in the IM location. There are WAY too many wires and coolant lines and crap down in that area.

Intake manifold swap on a 5S with engine in car? Not the easiest thing, wont be TOO hard though.

Dont you have ANY friends that have a garage? Anybody? Someone in your family? Seems silly to sell a car and inherit another potential issue over something like that.

Doowstados
08-20-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm just going to take it to a local shop that I trust to have it done. They're going to let me provide the part(s) and only charge me labor ($350).

I'm not in a good position to do it myself right now and that seems like a good price. I've had them do work for me before and they're very upfront and honest about what they do.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tokyo-automotive-repair-placentia

Thanks for convincing me to hold onto it guys!

allTRACway
08-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Good choice, it is a pain in the butt. You do have to jack up the front and CBB is right, no cross members or motor mounts need to come off just 2 brackets that hold down the IM. The hard part is getting it all back together especially if you don't have a small flashlight.

Doowstados
08-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Alright guys, so I wanted to verify that was in fact my problem before taking it in to get fixed. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the area and it didn't do anything to the idle, so I did some more poking around. The crack in the manifold is small and only located along the bolt hole on the top passenger side.

For those of you who didn't see my other thread, the engine is surging/hunting at idle.

My O2 sensors are new and I have a new fuel filter.

As of last night I got a diagnostic code 25 - air/fuel lean malfunction.

Turning the steering wheel makes the surging/idle problem worse.

While poking around I unplugged the TPS to see if there was any change. nothing happened.

I also unplugged the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator and the engine smoothed out a bit but still surged/hunted at idle.

Unplugging the IACV increases the idle to ~1000 and the surging seems to stop.

Unplugging the injectors one by one stops the idle hunting and it sits right at 850 - 900 RPM.

Sorry I ask so many questions guys.
I'm not a tech so diagnosing things like this is a bit out of my league. Ive learned a lot here but problems like this still test my patience. If some of you more enlightened guys could help me out with your experience that would be awesome.

Thanks again everyone.

allTRACway
08-22-2013, 01:30 AM
You just have the 5sfe you rebuilt right?

And A/C is for rich people.

Doowstados
08-22-2013, 01:39 AM
You just have the 5sfe you rebuilt right?

And A/C is for rich people.

I swapped my old dead engine with a re-manufactured 5SFE, yeah.

celica9303
08-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Which injector being unplugged made the difference?

Are these the fuel injectors that were used on the old engine?

I think he's asking if you still have possession of the old motor.....maybe

allTRACway
08-23-2013, 03:35 AM
No he gave me the answer I was looking for. My thought was maybe a bad sensor somewhere or a broken wire in the harness or bad ground.

celica91gts
08-23-2013, 08:18 AM
I've seen people bolt on? (might be wrong) 3sge intake manifold and it will move your throttle body to side feed which is more fmic friendly. don't know about throttle body and size though. but you can probably find one at a local junk yard and fix your car for an affordable price!

Doowstados
08-23-2013, 05:06 PM
I've seen people bolt on? (might be wrong) 3sge intake manifold and it will move your throttle body to side feed which is more fmic friendly. don't know about throttle body and size though. but you can probably find one at a local junk yard and fix your car for an affordable price!

I can't do that, CA emissions policy is a drag. I wish though.

Also, I don't think the manifold will bolt up to the 5S.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-23-2013, 07:18 PM
You'd have to find someone friendly to the swap or replace the manifold each time for smog. A truly convenient process.

Doowstados
08-23-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm definitely selling the car at this point.

The old school Japanese guy at the shop basically told me that he doesn't even want to work on it, it isn't worth it for me. My power steering pump started groaning yesterday because it was leaking and low on fluid, so I took it in to get that done as well. He got it up on the lift, looked at it and called me back into the shop. I had fluid all over both high pressure lines, my rack was leaking and the pump was leaking. I knew it had a leak but it got dramatically worse yesterday - it looked like one of the high pressure lines had split at the fitting. I drove the car five miles home from work and by the time I got home the reservoir was almost empty. This all combined with the intake manifold crack is going to cost me well into the $2,000 range (mostly due to the labor needed for the rack), which is not worth it to me. For someone with a garage and tools and time who could fix it, it would probably cost ~$600 and a weekend to have a like new car. I have none of these things right now.

I'm going to post an ad in the CelicaTech classified for the car, anybody who wants info on the car gets first dibs if you're interested. It really is a nice car, I just don't have time or money for it right now.

EDIT: I was a little pissed coming home from the shop, so I exaggerated a bit on what happened. This is a more accurate description.

grimmythereaper
08-23-2013, 10:25 PM
man i wish you where in houston, id let you use my drive for how ever long you needed. have you thought get a storage unt for about a week or so so you can fix it?

Doowstados
08-23-2013, 10:55 PM
EDIT:

In this post I was being a sissy little bitch who didn't want to fix his car, but I grew a pair and changed my mind.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-24-2013, 12:27 AM
$7 bottle of Lucas Powersteering Stop Leak might repair your rack.

Sorry to hear sir. Working on older cars can be very frustrating.

Doowstados
08-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I'm gonna fix this damn thing. I'd be a damn fool to sell it after everything I've put in it. I'll do it in my apartments freaking parking lot if I need to.

crymson
08-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Does that mean you're not selling it?

Doowstados
08-24-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm going to fix it and drive it until it falls apart. I've been through too much with this thing to give up on it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ[/url]

allTRACway
08-24-2013, 09:22 PM
just run a manual rack. I'm pretty sure the ST had them. Less weight more power and bigger muscles... wait this isn't the Honda forum.