PDA

View Full Version : Bad subwoofer? Amp?

4thgenceli
08-19-2013, 02:53 AM
Just finished the install on the truck's audio system. The build idea behind this was simply get rid of the stock head unit and add a bit more of bass to it with the help of a single 10" woofer.

Once it was all installed, I used the regular settings on the system and turned on the subwoofer. Thing crackles and sounds like something is hitting the cone. Turn down the gain and adjust the freq on the amp and it seems to go away, but at the loss of all the bass.

I turn and adjust the frequencies on the head unit (I can tune the amp to play on a selected frequency on the subwoofer). I tried matching (setting them both to 50htz) and it still sounds like crap. I think the sub and/or amp are shit. I swapped out the sub with another one (I have two of the same sub) and it's the same result. The subs are Sony xplod 10" woofers and the amp is a VR2 amp. I'm running the amp bridged to the one woofer. It's in a Scorche 10" truck box (.75 cu/ft space). From what I can tell these woofers need .78cu/ft. Would that be my problem?

I'm thinking I should just ditch the old shit and buy a new woofer & amp. What would be a good cost effective setup for a single cab truck?

METDeath
08-19-2013, 03:27 AM
I doubt that little difference in space would make a huge impact, if anything the woofer would just perform poorly.

However, new amp at least (find a good return policy place).

celica9303
08-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Problem #1: the sony car audio is junk, go buy a real sub woofer and amp combo. I personally run JL audio and MtX. Kicker and alpine is also great equipment.

What ohm are you running when bridged?

MrWOT
08-19-2013, 05:10 AM
He's right, Sony stuff is garbage. But it still shouldn't do what you're saying it does. Post specs on the sub/amp/headunit and is it a single channel amp or are you bridging?

celica9303
08-19-2013, 05:56 AM
He said it's bridged.

We need more information Timmy whats the amp rated at? Preout from the hu? What size cables? Braided or strande rca's?

Luni
08-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Cables arent going to make a difference. They never have for me.

Sounds to me like either the woofer is running out of phase (sucking in instead of blowing out) or not enough power, too much power, or the box isnt sealed. Maybe improper crossover slope on the box.

Tim, be more specific about "sounds liek garbage"

Is it hitting but not sounding right? Is it whoomping? Is it just QUIET as all hell? What is it doing?

david in germany
08-19-2013, 06:56 AM
If it is a dual voice coil sub check that you have the polarity on both coils correct. I have heard systems do this because of that specific reason. Try running one voice coil to see if it does the same.

The Captain
08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
If it is a dual voice coil sub check that you have the polarity on both coils correct. I have heard systems do this because of that specific reason. Try running one voice coil to see if it does the same.
Bam.

Sounds like a coil is out of phase or a blown voice coil.

Know how to use an ohm meter? I'd check the coil resistance.

I use the Pioneer shallow mount subs (TS series) and I have to say I am impressed for a $100 woofer.

4thgenceli
08-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Lack of description fails.

It looks like one of the coils is gone. I did a little probing last night and was getting weird readings. Song I was using to tune my system was Sir Mix a Lot (baby got back..duh), Korn (Blind) and Disturbed (10k fists and Mistress). I know the notes on all those songs and know where each should be for the different ranges. I was tuning the amp/sub for the low notes. When it was supposed to be a hard hitting note, it would pop (not cackling, but more like something was bouncing around or touching the cone). Only way to get any tone out of the sub would be to have the gain all the way up. Anything less and it wouldn't play.

I looked at the sub I removed and noticed the rubber around the cone had cracks & slits in it all over the place. Safe to say I think these subs are caca. I"m going to pick up some better brand ones, namely a 10" Fosgate P1 and a MTX 300w amp my buddy has. Then I gotta re-tune the whole system again. :gags:

MrWOT
08-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Don't go buy anything Tim, I've got somethin that'll do ya. Pioneer 10", already in a box, with an MTX 6152 in bridged mounted to box.

In the wifes Accord, but she wants it gone to make more room for stroller/baby stuff. It's a little dusty, but works flawlessly.

http://s24.postimg.org/rygm1v82t/100_MEDIA_IMAG0250.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/5nsr1wasl/100_MEDIA_IMAG0251.jpg

You can haz.

4thgenceli
08-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Joo got PM.

david in germany
08-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Don't go buy anything Tim, I've got somethin that'll do ya. Pioneer 10", already in a box, with an MTX 6152 in bridged mounted to box.

In the wifes Accord, but she wants it gone to make more room for stroller/baby stuff. It's a little dusty, but works flawlessly.

http://s24.postimg.org/rygm1v82t/100_MEDIA_IMAG0250.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/5nsr1wasl/100_MEDIA_IMAG0251.jpg

You can haz.

Charge him for the dust removal!

celica9303
08-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Loved that amp.... good setup.