PDA

View Full Version : Im new to the forums

Snakeman
08-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Hello, just thought I'd give a quick post to introduce myself and talk about my current project. I've been in the auto industry for around 15 years, 7 of those I was technician. The cars I get into are older General Motors and 5th and 6th generation Toyota Celicas( I also like the Supras). I'm currently replacing the 5sfe engine in my 95 Celica GT. Hopefully I'll have the old engine out and the new one in by the end of next week if all goes well. I plan on taking the old engine when finances work themselves out and rebuilding it and perhaps adding a turbo and doing a few other things to get a little performance out of it. I look forward to getting to know you all and learning some of you guys tricks. :banana:

Shadowlife25
08-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Welcome to the boards.

bloodMoney
08-18-2013, 06:16 AM
Welcome! We need more 6g love around here :)

There is a wealth of knowledge here. I have a 96 GT, so if you have any questions, ask away!

grimmythereaper
08-18-2013, 08:09 AM
i agree with bloodmoney, and welcome to site, i cant wait till u post some pics ;)

Snakeman
08-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the welcomes guys, and I'll be sure to post some pics soon. I just got my new dayco timing set in mail yesterday and got it all put on. I'm going to pull my old engine tomorrow and try to get my new one in. I want to go ahead and put a new front input seal in my 5 speed manual as well before I put engine in, but the parts stores are giving me all kinds of options on the seal depending on which 5 speed tranny I have. What is the easiest way to determine this? All info is appreciated. I'm fairly new to Toyota, so I know this is probably a noob question.

MCcelica
08-26-2013, 11:41 PM
If you have a 5sfe, your tranny is an S54. The only other 5 speed transmissions are associated with different engines. At least in the Celica platform. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the MR2 tranny seal is different though.

Snakeman
08-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Thanks so much for the tranny info. I have my old engine out now. The block I'm putting in came out of a 95 Camry. There has been a few things I've had to switch over with no problem but the oil pan and dipstick tube have been a pain. The camry dipstick tube was longer and wouldnt clear my exhaust. It broke off while being removed so i took the oil pan off with the balancer assembly and tapped the broken piece out with a 1/4" drive extension. The Camry block I'm putting in has what's called a balancer assembly I believe located under the crank and my celica doesn't. I was going to just take the balancer assembly off along with the oil pan and put my old pan back on due to clearance differences but I don't know if it will harm the Camry block or if it is needed. I wasted a oil pan gasket and I'm out of rtv until tomorrow. I can't wait to get this thing in.

Doowstados
08-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Thanks so much for the tranny info. I have my old engine out now. The block I'm putting in came out of a 95 Camry. There has been a few things I've had to switch over with no problem but the oil pan and dipstick tube have been a pain. The camry dipstick tube was longer and wouldnt clear my exhaust. It broke off while being removed so i took the oil pan off with the balancer assembly and tapped the broken piece out with a 1/4" drive extension. The Camry block I'm putting in has what's called a balancer assembly I believe located under the crank and my celica doesn't. I was going to just take the balancer assembly off along with the oil pan and put my old pan back on due to clearance differences but I don't know if it will harm the Camry block or if it is needed. I wasted a oil pan gasket and I'm out of rtv until tomorrow. I can't wait to get this thing in.

You can remove the balancer assembly, just make sure you put something in the hole it leaves behind. It won't cause any problems.

Alternatively you could keep the Camry oil pan because of the higher oil volume, keep the balancer for some additional ride comfort and just extend your exhaust a few inches (this is what I did).

One more thing - the BGB recommends just using black RTV if I remember correctly. Gaskets are fine and dandy (easier to clean up after later on) but I would stick with the factory recommendation.

Snakeman
08-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Extending the exhaust and keeping the oil pan and balancer sounds awesome, but my other issue would be the aluminum mounting piece that bolts to the block under the oil pan that my tranny bolts to. With the bigger pan and balancer it won't bolt back on to the block. The camry block didn't come with this piece so I'm left with no choice but to use the one I have( money is tight right now). As far as plugging the hole the balancer leaves, what is a good method to do that? I read in some other places that tapping the hole and threading a bolt in with lock tight works. What method do you guys use? Sorry for being such a noob. After doing this job, I'm sure I'll be more prepared next time with what to expect. I can't say this enough, thank you guys for the help. Hopefully I'll be able to help some other people soon with what I am learning from this.

Doowstados
08-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Extending the exhaust and keeping the oil pan and balancer sounds awesome, but my other issue would be the aluminum mounting piece that bolts to the block under the oil pan that my tranny bolts to. With the bigger pan and balancer it won't bolt back on to the block. The camry block didn't come with this piece so I'm left with no choice but to use the one I have( money is tight right now). As far as plugging the hole the balancer leaves, what is a good method to do that? I read in some other places that tapping the hole and threading a bolt in with lock tight works. What method do you guys use? Sorry for being such a noob. After doing this job, I'm sure I'll be more prepared next time with what to expect. I can't say this enough, thank you guys for the help. Hopefully I'll be able to help some other people soon with what I am learning from this.

Hmm. I'm not sure which aluminum piece you are referring to, I didn't have that problem. Can you take a picture?

Snakeman
08-31-2013, 02:50 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure which aluminum piece you are referring to, I didn't have that problem. Can you take a picture?
I ended up tapping the hole the balancer shaft assembly left behind with a m8x1.25 thread and inserted a bolt with red lock tight and a smidge of black rtv toseal it up. I currently have the engine and everything back in car just got to make one more trip to the parts store for some fluids before I crank it up. The piece I'm referring to is kinda hard to see while everything is bolted in but I will take a picture or 2 tomorrow with my phone to show you. The best way I can describe it is a mounting piece to bolt the bottom half of tranny to the engine. It sits right under the back half of the oil pan and the Camry pan was to deep (due to the back half of the balancer) to let it clear the pan and bolt back to the block. I also noticed that my celica pan had a baffle and the Camry oil pickup screen wouldn't work. I cleaned my original screen out and filed of the support brace and used it. Tomorrow I should be able to crank it up and hopefully drive it again. The motor I took out had a really bad oil leak at the pump and after inspection apparently disintegrated a main bearing.

Doowstados
08-31-2013, 08:16 AM
I ended up tapping the hole the balancer shaft assembly left behind with a m8x1.25 thread and inserted a bolt with red lock tight and a smidge of black rtv toseal it up. I currently have the engine and everything back in car just got to make one more trip to the parts store for some fluids before I crank it up. The piece I'm referring to is kinda hard to see while everything is bolted in but I will take a picture or 2 tomorrow with my phone to show you. The best way I can describe it is a mounting piece to bolt the bottom half of tranny to the engine. It sits right under the back half of the oil pan and the Camry pan was to deep (due to the back half of the balancer) to let it clear the pan and bolt back to the block. I also noticed that my celica pan had a baffle and the Camry oil pickup screen wouldn't work. I cleaned my original screen out and filed of the support brace and used it. Tomorrow I should be able to crank it up and hopefully drive it again. The motor I took out had a really bad oil leak at the pump and after inspection apparently disintegrated a main bearing.

Ohhh you mean the flywheel access panel that gives you access to your flywheel/pressure plate bolts (auto).

I just bent it slightly and made it fit, wasn't terribly difficult.

Either way, happy to hear another Celica will be back on the road soon!

Snakeman
09-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Ohhh you mean the flywheel access panel that gives you access to your flywheel/pressure plate bolts (auto).

I just bent it slightly and made it fit, wasn't terribly difficult.

Either way, happy to hear another Celica will be back on the road soon!
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=23233&catid=member&imageuser=19258
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/9/2/5/8/img_20130902_164848_476.jpg
Here are some pics of my 5sfe bottom to bottom of S54 tranny. Doing this from phone and kinda new to posting in forums so I hope pics show up.