PDA

View Full Version : New to this Site -- Need confirmation about Head Unit and System 10 speakers

AllTrac90
07-30-2013, 01:28 AM
Double din fits my 90 all trac correct??

PC richards guy try telling me otherwise...

Also, I need to replace all my speakers and I wanted to know if there are any 8" subs that have the right dimensions to fit in the livesound door panels

METDeath
07-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Yes, just about any double din will fit, you may have to do some light modification to the air duct that is behind the HU if you don't use right angle RCA connectors, or have an overly deep unit.

As for speakers, start here (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?45443-The-secret-project.-.&p=30071925&viewfull=1#post30071925). Probably the best bang for buck with no metal cutting involved for the 8s... granted, you can go with an adapter ring (custom) and put in a 6 or 6.5" no problem.

crymson
07-30-2013, 04:43 AM
I'm running focal access 210 CA1's in mine. They're a shallow 8, but need a slight spacer (I think their 1/2 inch, I could check if anyone cares) between the speaker and the system 10 mounts, but they fit perfectly behind the doors with no modification.

AllTrac90
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks for info. Yah I want to keep 8" in the door so maybe ill try those focals but are they discontinued ? I think from manufacturer site they cannot be purchased. Maybe eBay.. But I haven't heard anyone get an 8" with no modification. The spacer is for what exactly? And with my 90 all trac. I hear there are issues with some of the harnesses available? I gotta double check around for one that works with amp and door subs. But if u guys know off hand. That will help. Thanks

METDeath
07-30-2013, 09:43 PM
90 All-trac? The only working "harness" is one from the UK. Runs about $40 USD or more. However, they have the standard two part plug that everyone in the US will try to sell you the harness for. So if you bypass the System 10 amp, and run all your own speaker wires to a 5 or 6 channel amp you can get the best sound value. I will try to get around to doing my stereo work sometime in August as I have a 91 GTS with System 10 that I will be doing a full replacement on. You can see my parts list in my build thread that is in my signature.

You can also look at The Captain's 90 All-trac build as his is done, however, I think he used Kicker SSMB8s in that.

Galcobar
07-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Thanks for info. Yah I want to keep 8" in the door so maybe ill try those focals but are they discontinued ? I think from manufacturer site they cannot be purchased. Maybe eBay.. But I haven't heard anyone get an 8" with no modification. The spacer is for what exactly? And with my 90 all trac. I hear there are issues with some of the harnesses available? I gotta double check around for one that works with amp and door subs. But if u guys know off hand. That will help. Thanks

I'm also running the 210 CA1 woofers. Seems as if Focal has moved to sell them only in a bundle since I purchased mine. I did have to modify the rear of the mount, in order to fit the much larger than stock magnet of the Focals. The cuts were essentially identical to the ones described in The Captain's secret project thread. The spacer, which sits between the rear mounting rim of the speaker and the door mount, brings the entire speaker out of the door slightly. I found that it was necessary to allow the window mechanism to clear the magnet.

Detailed sizing discussed here: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?36020-System-10-8-quot-speaker-dimensions

93celicaconv
07-31-2013, 02:27 AM
If you can handle the cost, Toyota still sells the 8" System 10 Door Woofers (or at least did 4 years ago, when I got a new set from 1stToyotaParts.com). At least with a direct replacement, no alterations required. Plus, my old ones still worked great, just the foam cone suspension was worn out and cracked apart, I found a local audio shop that resuspends those cones, so I have a 2nd set good as new also. Planning to hold onto them though - good 8" System 10 Woofers are getting hard to find.

crymson
07-31-2013, 05:31 AM

I used a nylon bushings between the speaker and the box in the door. I'll take one of my door panels off tomorrow and show you what I mean.

AllTrac90
08-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Thanks that pic will help explain. Gonna check on toyota stock system 10 woofers But I think I have found a few 8" woofers with right dimensions but want to see them in person first. Will definitely post process and info when I go ahead. Probably 2 weeks from now. Just need head unit and want double din but need to make measurements. Plus get that auto leads harness

METDeath
08-01-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks that pic will help explain. Gonna check on toyota stock system 10 woofers But I think I have found a few 8" woofers with right dimensions but want to see them in person first. Will definitely post process and info when I go ahead. Probably 2 weeks from now. Just need head unit and want double din but need to make measurements. Plus get that auto leads harness

So you're going to keep the System 10 Amplifier?

AllTrac90
08-02-2013, 02:28 AM
for now.. It most likely will be the last thing I change, but if I do it should be just plug n play? swap the factory system 10 amp with a after market right? or is it all factory clips?? I didn't look at it yet but I did do measurements for my double din deck plenty of room in there.

AllTrac90
08-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Scratch that last post.. I just looked under the seat. I guess it would be best to cut those factory clips and hook up a new amp -- should I bother getting the autoleads harness then? it seems like best way is to just re wire everything individually but id really like to plug n play my head unit so I can interchange if I ever decide to swap it out.

So I guess get the autoleads harness adaptor but at the amp just figure out which wire is which and set it up accordingly? Every speaker goes to that factory amp right?? or is it just the 8" door woofers? I will be doing my homework tonight and this weekend but any input is more than welcome.

also..

I just wanted input on some speakers I was looking to purchase. I am replacing every speaker in the system 10 as well as the head unit and most likely the amp(seems like a waste not to)

first I want to say sorry about the links I am not old enough to post them but you should be able to fill in blanks

im planning on purchasing this pioneer double din deck

ht tp://w ww.crutchfield.c om/p_130X700BT/Pioneer-FH-X700BT.htm l

now the rear speakers I found this bundle

h ttp://ww w.crutchfield.co m/p_113KFCP509/Kenwood-KFC-P509PS.html?tp=106#overview-tab

for the 4" I saw a post by mda and wanted to know if anyone made these fit and how much modification was necessary

mda185 wrote:

...Building your own is almost always going to sound better and cost less than commercial sets. This is particularly true if you replace the factory amp with an aftermarket unit with built in crossovers. Parts Express has a very good inexpensive 4" driver that has more X max than anything I have ever seen from a commercial car stereo speaker. X max is how much travel the voice coil has before significant distortion sets in.

ht tp://w ww.parts-express.c om/pe/showdet ... er=290-212
I like the LPG and SEAS tweeters sold by Madisound Speakers better than most of what Parts Express sells:

htt p://ww.madisoundspeakerstore.c om/auto-tweeters/

You can do this for far less than $200 if you take some time to learn how. If you upgrade the amplifier under the passenger seat to one with crossovers built in, this becomes very easy. Just set the high and low pass frequency to somewhere between 2500-5000 Hz depending on how low your tweeter can go. Higher is safer for the tweeter. Lower usually sounds better. Tweeters that will fit the OEM pod on the door will all have high crossover frequencies. It takes a larger, more expensive design to get a tweeter you can cross over around 2500-3000 Hz. You will also have to set the amps' input gain so the tweeter and woofer are equal loudness.

also if those tweeters he likes fit as well

If so far all of those fit...( I will do the measuring this weekend but if anyone knows offhand that'd be great too although I will double check lol)
then that would be my setup besides my 8" that I have to choose and the amp

please any suggestions/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated

crymson
08-02-2013, 05:46 AM
If you replace the amp you'll need the standard 87+ toyota harness, the plugs for these are further back and plugged in to another harness.

Be aware that the rear boxes are 6 1/2, not 5 3/4 like crutchfield lists.

AllTrac90
08-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks, i was browsing forums and i thought i seen a consensus that they were 5.25"

but id rather 6.5 and either way i will pop them out to ensure proper fitment before purchase

so if i get a new amp i just need to use the stray plugs that are behind head unit..? those im assuming go to everything but the doors?

METDeath
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks, i was browsing forums and i thought i seen a consensus that they were 5.25"

but id rather 6.5 and either way i will pop them out to ensure proper fitment before purchase

so if i get a new amp i just need to use the stray plugs that are behind head unit..? those im assuming go to everything but the doors?

Correct, and really, if you go with a new amp, you only need the power/antenna wires as the all the speaker connections won't be needed as they will be replaced by the amp and it's new cable runs... which you should be running new wire since you are taking it all apart anyway.

Shadowlife25
08-02-2013, 06:32 PM
If you go with an aftermarket amplifier, I have a nice writeup that you can follow.