PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start, fuel issue?

gonzo1
07-17-2013, 01:43 AM
Thought I'd have this figured out long time ago by now by myself but i can't so thought I'd see if someones been thru this or someone who can lead me to right direction. A couple months ago I was at a stop sign ready to make left turn as soon as it picked up it died out so I rolled it to the side of street. I wont start anymore, it cranked but no start up. I checked battery voltage, checked dist,plugs,wires.. all good condition. Now when I turn key I heard the VSV making a ticking noise, replaced it and made same sound. I leave car for a few weeks and try starting it and no more ticking noise but still crank no start. So i decided to listen for the fuel pump and i turn the key and dont hear it, so I crossed the FP&+B at the DLC while key was turned and I heard it and felt fuel line for pressure. I checked the fuse and relay they're ok. Seems like the pump is not being turned on when the key is turned or fuel is not reaching the cylinder walls. I'm clueless at this point and want to enjoy my Celica this summer :( Sorry for the long story and thanks for any help guys

I drive a 93 celica gt 2.2 5sfe manual trans

Facime
07-19-2013, 12:12 AM
The pump doesnt always run when cranking, just for the first few seconds. Will the car start with the FP jumper in place?

Start with the basics:
You need to verify spark at all 4 plugs. Grab a spare plug, pull each wire individually and ground the body of the plug to the engine. Test for a good bright blue spark when cranking.
Next check for fuel flow at the return line leading out of the fuel rail back to the tank. (be careful. You will likely have to rig up some sort of a catch bottle to verify flow).

if you have spark and fuel, you will want to doa compression test to verify the motor is still pumping air.

You probably have a fuel pump failure, but it would be wise to replace the filter first as they are cheap and easier than a pump.

underscore
07-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Try cranking the car over and have someone hitting the gas tank near the pump, this will usually get the car to start when the pump is dying.

silversurfers25
07-20-2013, 02:01 PM
I had a problem with my celica st183. Turns out the rotor in the dizzy had burnt out. Tested the resistance and there was no electricity passing thru even after getting some sandpaper on it. New rotor in and all is fine :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

gonzo1
07-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Ok so I removed the return fuel line and it was pumping gas thru rail. So I went straight back to the ignition components, I was now not getting a spark thru plug wire. This was all new, distributor, plugs, rotor and cap. I went to checking plugs that go to distributor. With ignition key on, the plug that has 2 prongs gave me full voltage, the 4 prong doesn't give any voltage. Is that normal? So I went to ecu and followed wiring diagram for that plug to ecu. I unplugged the plug with wires from ecu, checked voltage thru pins on ecu coming out that connect to distributor, it was giving full voltage. So what would cause the plug not to get voltage?

gonzo1
07-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Does anyone know if + voltage come from distributor plug with the four prongs located on top of distributor when on engine???

Facime
07-27-2013, 02:48 AM
wat

Lonestag
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
It could be the engine computer ECU, I have seen those fail before.
As far as diagnosing that, or what it would be doing (besides cranking) i'm in the dark,

andy
07-29-2013, 05:10 PM
the black and orange wire on the dizzy is for the coil. it should have 12v when the car is on. The 4 wire plug is the pickups for the crank angle and shouldn't have any readable voltage. Just check continuity between the plug and the appropriate pin on the ecu plug. But first plug it all back up, pull a plug wire and check for spark.

90GTS
08-06-2013, 01:04 AM
I have similar problem before. It cranks but it won't start and turns out problem was the coil. Check coil reistance with multimeter.

gonzo1
08-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys! I looked at all the wiring check coils etc. the car starts for a few seconds when I spray starting gliud in throttle, so fuel is not being sprayed in cylinder. I just tried to see if I can get a ODB reading from car and ODB tool can't communicate with ecu. Now I'm thinking I have a faulty ecu cause it won't read it. Am I wrong?

gonzo1
08-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Anyone got a working ECU for a 93 Celica GT 5sfe 5 speed manual?

93celicaconv
08-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Do you have the Toyota-specific OBD-I adapter that plugs into the diagnostic port for your scanner? If so, is your scanner capable of reading live sensor data? Of both are true, then it sounds like there is a problem with the dianostic port contacts, or there could be a problem with the ECU.

There are many things to look at before trying to replace the ECU though. Is your EFI fuse blown? Have you checked if your fuel pump runs and if you are getting proper fuel rail pressure? Have you verified that your Circuit Opening Relay (COR) is working properly? Those all would be more likely sources of a problem for fuel delivery than the ECU.

KoreanJoey
08-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Do you get a CEL when you put the car into the ON position?

sodap0p
08-18-2013, 07:56 AM
I had a problem with my celica st183. Turns out the rotor in the dizzy had burnt out. Tested the resistance and there was no electricity passing thru even after getting some sandpaper on it. New rotor in and all is fine :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Same issue with my RC. The cap looked to be in good condition but it wasn't.