PDA

View Full Version : Broken bolts continue

Nitro_Alltrac
07-06-2013, 11:34 PM
After getting the cracks in the downpipe fixed, I still had a ticking exhaust leak with I quickly figured out was a loose nut holding the manifold to the head. Nothing bad just needed retorqued. Got all of them done but one, the outer one on the driver's side. Working on this one, almost there and all of a sudden, it's pretty loose. The damn stud broke clean. I can get to it without out having to do disassemble the front of the engine with an extractor, it's just a pain in the ass. In 30+ years of working on cars I've NEVER broken this many bolts in total.

It cracks me up at work all of the screws and bolts that we buy from Japan because they can't find an American company to make the hard to the exact spec. After working on the All Trac for the past 7 years, I have to laugh at that. I guess the American fastener companies can't make the bolts break correctly or something.

rizin
07-07-2013, 07:39 AM
What type of down pipe? If it is just a ss after market one to much weight on the manifold bolts and maybe something is to ridgid.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-08-2013, 03:39 AM
It's a Aussie. I don't think it's the downpipe. When my son had the car he ran the front up over a curb and nerfed the cast iron cat set up. It had a hell of an exhaust leak so we took it to a shop that we had used before. They half ass did the work, screwed up two or three stud holes that I had to go back in, retap and use inserts. This wasn't one of those studs but it never felt exactly right when I torqued it. I think it was on the way out any and this last retorque finished the job.

4thgenceli
07-08-2013, 04:39 AM
I swear I didn't touch his car.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-08-2013, 11:32 PM
You don't have to Tim. This bastard does it all by himself.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Well for a change, that went well. After I got to looking at the old stud, the fuckers had put it in backward and there wasn't that much in the hole. I drilled through it while trying to get a hole for the extractor. I ran a tap down through it and put the new stud in and tightened it down. So far so good.

Good thing this happened actually. While messing with this, I checked the nuts holding the turbo to the manifold. Two were loose and one was gone. Took car of that too. Still have to put the heat shield back on and reattach the intercooler. Hopefully this little adventure is coming to an end. I'd like to make one more run through the Hill Country before heading back to WV.

celica9303
07-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Oh the joys of working on old toyota's.......I break bolts or studs every time I touch my Celica......
Which I sadly havent driven in a year :-(

Good luck Nitro!