PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a new downpipe

Nitro_Alltrac
06-29-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm currently running what is supposed to be an Aussie downpipe. It doesn't have the plate riveted to it like some I have seen but it is a quality unit. I bought it from a member at AT.net when I frequented that place. I've it on the car for 4 years or so and I'm not sure how much it had been run prior to that.

While changing the thermostat and getting the coolant bled, I discovered that I've got some cracks in the collector coming out of the turbo. I welded the worst ones up and they seem to be holding but I've found a few smaller ones a little further down that I'm going to weld too but I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to replace the downpipe.

I did a very quick Google search yesterday and I'm seeing a lot of horror stories about crappy Chinese made pipes. One guy over at AT.net had bought a pipe from Berk and it ended up being the same basic Chinese made pipe he had bought from Ebay before. I don't want to go that route. I want to get a good quality downpipe that I'm not going to have a lot of problems with. I know that getting a good one isn't going to be cheap but my quick search yesterday didn't show a lot of options at any price.

Let's see the suggestions.

ChrisD
06-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Berk has always made theirs in China. I've used them and never had an issue. Another option is you could see what Jeff at RacerX can make for you. But price will be higher than the chinese made ones of course.

ATS also makes one that is fine. Same with KO.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

MrWOT
06-29-2013, 07:41 PM
If you can weld why don't you just make a new one? Get some mild steel weld els and have at it.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Chris, I'll check in with ATS about theirs. I've met Scott a couple of times down here at some MR2 meets.

WOT, I'm thinking about that as well as a possibility. I was looking at the one I have right now and it looks like the cracks are developing in the welds in the collector area just off the turbo. I'm thinking that maybe I might be able to cut that apart, grind the old welds off and reweld it. I'll have to research that further though. The rest of the pipe is in good condition.