PDA

View Full Version : Help me out with thoughts of what this could be.

jdm_celica_gts
06-26-2013, 02:49 AM
I changed a wheel bearing and after 40 miles a very nasty popping/grinding sound started. I thought it was the bearing so I took the whole thing apart and found the bearing perfectly fine, put it all back together and heard nothing. 50 miles later the same sound comes back, any ideas? When I rock the wheel left and right it almost sounds like its coming from in the transfer case. What could be worn or broken in there to cause such a sound?
Noise gets heard in first and second an after that it kind of stops. I'm clueless.

BlueDragon
06-26-2013, 04:19 PM
hmm.... is your cv retaining nut staying tight? Did your hub get damaged when the old bearing went out? I just had to replace mine when I went to do the bearing because I let it go too long.

jdm_celica_gts
06-27-2013, 04:39 AM
Cv shaft is new has about 200 miles on it. Hub nut has been backing off lately. Hub looks warn from the bad bearing rubbing on it too long. Where is a good place to order a new hub?

Nitro_Alltrac
06-30-2013, 04:26 AM
You'll most likely need to get the bearing from Toyota. You might find a used one but it could be iffy. I had to replace one of mine a few years ago when the bearing went and I got it from Toyota. I forget exactly how much it was but I'm thinking it was a couple of hundred dollars. Could be wrong though.

jdm_celica_gts
06-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Damn a couple hundred! That's crazy ha

Fox 21 Alpha
06-30-2013, 10:18 PM
I think a new hub from Toyota runs around $150. If I remember right I could fine rears cheap after market but no one had fronts or something like that.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-30-2013, 10:48 PM
A quick look on 1st Toyota shows the front hub retails for $180 and they sell it for $129. If yours is damaged, you can either replace the hub or keep throwing bearings at it.

fdfx3
07-30-2013, 08:26 PM
If it is an ST185 you're talking about you could allways get a 2. hand hub from a front wheeldrive Celica as these are the same.
I ruined the hub on my St185 CS due to being to lazy and not changing the worn out bearing, so I took the hub from an ST182 and it was exactly the same, only had to change the heat shield or whatever since the ff version has smaller brake discs.

jdm_celica_gts
07-31-2013, 02:02 AM
Yeah I was tempted to snag the hub off my 92 gts but then my gts which I'm about to sell will end up with a new hub.

Physlis
08-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Honestly if you need some time to fund the new hub and bearing, and you have access to a good welder and the bearing still rolls fine, I just welded the inner bearing race to the hub and cranked the CV nut back down. It's not the perfect solution but I've put over 500 miles on mine after doing it. The hub is screwed anyway so don't worry about messing it up. 3-4 tacks hold mine enough so it doesn't wobble, just make sure you cover the open bearing and add a little grease before reinstalling it on the car.

As far as parts, I've gotten my last few hubs from 1sttoyota and they've done great. My issue with the bearing/hub was I didn't have them tightened down enough. General consensus in the threads I've posted is tighten it down until you think you're gonna break it. Some guys run it down with an impact till it stops.

jdm_celica_gts
08-02-2013, 03:52 AM
Right now I just check my hub nut every 30-45 miles to make sure it hasn't backed off. I have about 400 miles doing that so far. A serious pain in the ass but its working to get me by for now.