PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in buying a car

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Everyday I drive Blackhawk, is another day it pains me that she's going.

I have to make adult decisions and I can't afford to love her anymore. She still drives hard and brings a smile to my face.

I went to Columbus a few days back to look at a 2001 Corolla. Did a complete inspection on her, only found a burnt out Check Engine light.

Took her for spin and the engine revved high entering the freeway, then cutout and died. Could not be turned over. Tried jumping the battery, etc. and it got maybe a half-crank.

For fun, I checked the starter Relay. Pulled it and found that the breaker had popped, so I reset it. As I was plugging in the relay, the car tried starting on its own. Bad relay, hot wired, whatever; that car was hosed.

Then the dealer wanted to blame me for the damage while his mechanic laughed and him and said the car was effed.

That was my first test drive fail. Pretty epic, I think the oil pump failed and the wiring is fried.

I had an offer to buy an old lady driven, high mileage 2002 Prism LSi. I was very tempted as it was only $975, but it has a misfire when cold. Could be something simple, could be something else. I couldn't justify buying a car with engine problems on top of the two I'm selling.

Right now I'm headed to Toledo to get Tom his parts and get my hood. Blackhawk goes up for sale tomorrow for $1500. A post with parts is soon to follow.

celica9303
06-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Hmmmmm.......

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Second car had no compression on cylinder 1. 50psi, rings were toast.

Hookecho
06-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Are you against buying a truck?

celica9303
06-20-2013, 01:09 AM
No show...sucks to see you drove all this way and got no car or hood ......

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-20-2013, 04:45 AM

I need good gas mileage. That's one of the reasons the Celica is going.

MCcelica
06-20-2013, 03:04 PM

I want a truck...

Luni
06-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Just buy a fucking mustang. Every other toolbag on here who ditches their celica (or abandons it) just gets one. Join the club.

Lonestag
06-20-2013, 09:40 PM
And I hear mustangs get 40MPG in every day driving. At least I think Murg said that.

Hookecho
06-21-2013, 12:33 AM
It's actually 35mpg on regular gas!

It will be May 2014 before it starts getting 40mpg.

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-21-2013, 12:45 AM
I may tune up the Celica and keep her. More on that later.

Hookecho
06-21-2013, 01:53 AM
What exactly is wrong with the Celica?

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-21-2013, 03:08 AM
What exactly is wrong with the Celica?

24 mpg, rocker panel rust, no tires, bad alternator, ball joints, no AC, and a bad windshield.

I was having a hard time justifying money and labor into a car not worth a whole lot.

Hookecho
06-21-2013, 03:18 AM
I don't blame you for ditching it. No AC is a bummer.

MCcelica
06-21-2013, 07:21 AM
I don't have AC. That was one of my "Mod-delete-mods" on the way to the Dragon. Since I work nights now, I can't justify fixing it.

Luni
06-21-2013, 05:46 PM
24 mpg, rocker panel rust, no tires, bad alternator, ball joints, no AC, and a bad windshield.

I was having a hard time justifying money and labor into a car not worth a whole lot.

Just get a fucking Mustang and be done with it. All of the cool kids (Murg and Tim so far) are doing it.

4thgenceli
06-21-2013, 06:18 PM
I didn't buy a mustang... or did I? I don't remember much after last night.

T-spoon
06-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Steer clear of pre-03 1zzfe cars unless it's a fantastic deal and you don't mind dealing with oil consumption.

Grot
06-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Just get a fucking Mustang and be done with it. All of the cool kids (Murg and Tim so far) are doing it.

you forgot about me. but mine was cool. i got 10 mpg like a real v8. and make the same amount of power...

Murgatroy
06-21-2013, 08:08 PM

You know, I would have let you ride in it if you had asked.

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Steer clear of pre-03 1zzfe cars unless it's a fantastic deal and you don't mind dealing with oil consumption.

Yeah, every car I looked at, regardless of miles with that motor showed uneven compression and lots of blow-by.

Screw it.

I'm going to cut the rockers out, and patch them up with these vert-covers I got. I'll clean out as much cancer as I can, and seal the rest of the spots up. I ordered ball joints, and I'll unstick this damn rear caliper.

My compression across the board is 190psi on this motor. I'll pay the $4 and fix the axle seal. I'll invest $200 into repairing the AC system so I can tolerably driver her again.

I know the EXACT history on this vehicle. I've made her mine. Tires are tires. I'll buy a new set of 16" tires and touch the rims up. I can always keep them later if the car goes. Who cares.

I'll figure out this fuel consumption issue as well. I have an idea of what the culprit is, and I'll buy the $3 can of intake cleaner and be done with it. She's looking a little rough, but with a reasonable $500 in parts, she'll run better then she ever has.

When I have some money saved and a better opportunity comes along, I'll let her go. For now, Blackhawk is mine, and she's taking me back to California.