PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Help

White87GTS
06-11-2013, 01:18 PM
My cruise doesn't work in my 93 GTS. It's the actuator/motor driven type, not the vacuum type. I guess my biggest question is; are the ABS system and the cruise related?

I've got an ABS light on. Cruise light will come on, press set, nothing happens.

Thanks for any help.

Physlis
06-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes, if the "brake" light is on the cruise control will not engage. The first thing I would suggest is disconnecting the brake fluid level sensor, if that goes bad (like mine did) it will instantly solve it. The sensor is built into your brake fluid reservior cap.

White87GTS
06-12-2013, 12:00 AM
It's the 'ABS' light that's on, not the brake light.

jdm_celica_gts
06-12-2013, 04:51 AM
Does the light come on when you first start the car or does it come on after you roll a little bit?

White87GTS
06-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Comes on when the car is started and stays on. Previous owner says its always been on, ad cruise has never wanted to engage.

Physlis
06-12-2013, 06:29 PM
If your brakes are functioning normally, and the light stays on, I'd still wager it's a sensor problem. Anything brake-related issues in the computer will knock out your cruise. I'd troubleshoot for you more but my only ABS-equipped car is down for the forseeable future, without it I have no idea what sensors are tied into which system.

White87GTS
06-12-2013, 11:11 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I got sticker shock when I saw the price of the ABS sensors.

Maybe I can pull the fuse to get it to go off?

Thanks for the help so far.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-20-2013, 02:57 AM
The cruise will work with the ABS light on. My All Trac has the wires cut on the front wheel sensors, the light was always on and the cruise works. I finally took the damn bulb out of the socket.
I've never fixed the ABS as I am not a big fan of the early ABS systems and the brakes work fine without it. I'll probably do the ABS delete at some point but it has not been a priority.

Look in the BGB for the cruise control troubleshooting steps. For the electronic kind, it has steps to get the system to flash codes. I used this to troubleshoot mine. It saves a lot of time and money in throwing parts at it. The BGB is available here: http://www.celicatech.com/bgbonline/

alltracman78
06-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Yeah, cruise doesn't need the ABS system to work.
The only thing that will get rid of the light is fixing it or pulling the bulb.

Jump Tc and E1 in the diag box, that will give you any codes for the cruise [also for the ABS, FYI].

Tecker184
06-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Anytime I've had an issue with my cruise it was the speed sensor on the speedo cable.

White87GTS
10-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Anytime I've had an issue with my cruise it was the speed sensor on the speedo cable.
We have a winner.

I know it's been a few months, but I figured I'd post up the fix in case someone searches with the same issue. A new speed sensor (VSS) fixed the whole problem immediately.

Thanks for the help!

MCcelica
10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks for posting your solution.