PDA

View Full Version : Final preperations for 3S swap. Need some input.

Atticus
06-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I have an 89 Celica GTS with a gen 4 3sgte in it. It has the plug in at harness from Dr Tweak, ST162 N/S crossmember (modified to fit the rear mount), custom turbo back exhaust, fmic, asis radiator, and ST165 shifter cables.

I'll be swapping the engine into a 5th gen Celica GTS pretty soon so my question is what exactly fits my 5th gen and what will not. I'm pretty sure from the research I've done that I still need a 185 crossmember along with 185 shifter cables but please correct me if I'm wrong. I couldn't find an answer on the exhaust. I'm pretty sure that fits but would rather be 100%. I read somewhere that the radiator won't fit. I took a look at it and compared it to my 184 and it looks like it will fit. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

What I know will fit:
-Axles will fit since it has a 5th gen hub on the passenger side.
-Harness will plug right in.
-Front and back engine mounts.
-Intercooler along with piping.

Any help will be appreciated.

METDeath
06-08-2013, 09:50 PM
What transmission are you using? If you're using an E153 or modded E150F. Then you will want the ST185 cables and cross member. If you're using an S5x transmission then you are good to go.

4thgenceli
06-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Its a e153 with a trd lsd.

You may need to rewire the fuse box to your 5th gen one. Its the box in the engine bay by the air filter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

alltracman78
06-09-2013, 12:12 AM
What about the wiring for the fan, by the right strut tower and the interior wiring. I doubt it's identical to the 5th gen.
Intercooler/piping probably won't be a direct bolt in, will need some persuasion.
The exhaust will also probably need a little modding.

Atticus
06-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Can't I just use the same fuse box that comes with the harness? And if I remember correctly the engine harness plugs right into the ECU and so does the interior harness unless that plug doesn't fit. But why wouldn't it? Would it be easier to send the harness to Tweak again and have him add and remove plugs to make it a plug-in-play harness for the 5th gen? I really don't want to do any wiring myself or at the least keep it at a minimal. Anything else I should know?

187flatliner
06-09-2013, 07:52 PM
its always easier if you have the funds to have another do it so its plug and play

Atticus
06-09-2013, 08:40 PM
I was thinking of sending the already crafted harness by Tweak for the 4th Gen Celi and have him modify it to a 5th Gen. I figured that would be easier for him and cheaper for me. Not 100% on it though. I need to talk to the Doc.

spitfiremk16
06-09-2013, 10:10 PM
I would send it to him and have him mod it for a 5th gen Chassis as the wiring is sure to be different. If you want to use the transmission that is attached to the engine now you will need to get a celica alltrac/ gt four st185 chassis transmission crossmember and mounts for it to bolt up. You will also need the appropriate axles. The inner axles you have now should work but you will have to get some st185 celica alltrac outter axles if you do not already have them. Your exhaust and intercooler piping will both have to be reworked unfortunately or scrapped altogether and have new exhaust/intercooler piping made up to fit the new chassis you will be putting the engine into.

4thgenceli
06-09-2013, 10:53 PM
The axles will work. I know this because when he picked up the car, we went to a junkyard and took a hub & knuckle assembly from a ST184 and installed it on the ST162. The axles I installed were ST165 outer axles.

The list of items you'll need to address Abraham are:

Wiring
-Fuse block in the engine bay is different on the 5th gen to the 4th gen. Not sure what needs to be re-wired. You could use the 4th gen BGB I gave you to help correlate the wiring.

Exhaust
-Not sure on routing between the 5th and 4th gens. Looking at the part number layouts and diagrams, they look damn similar (straight down the middle, 90 bend to the passenger side, 90 bend to the rear then out). Lay them side by side and see the differences. Visually online they look the same. You can always bring both exhaust systems back up to Phoenix and take them to the shop I had the exhaust done at. The guy there can re-bend the pipes to make them fit properly (re-weld the hangars, etc). Here's some parts diagrams (click on them for larger images)

St184:

ST162

Crossmember
- I was under the impression because I installed the e153 transmission I would of needed the st165 crossmember. I didn't. The crossmembers on there are St162 crossmembers. Check out Jasmine's project thread and you can see what I had to do to make it fit (simply enlarged a hole on the crossmember to motor mount bracket, nothing crazy)

Intercooler mount & piping
-I'd remove the front bumper & crash bar assembly off the 5th gen and check out how it compares to the 4th gen.
I'm going to be down in Tucson the week after the 4th of July if you need some extra hands.

Atticus
06-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Wiring
-Fuse block in the engine bay is different on the 5th gen to the 4th gen. Not sure what needs to be re-wired. You could use the 4th gen BGB I gave you to help correlate the wiring.

I'm going to take a look at it and see what I find.

Exhaust
-Not sure on routing between the 5th and 4th gens. Looking at the part number layouts and diagrams, they look damn similar (straight down the middle, 90 bend to the passenger side, 90 bend to the rear then out). Lay them side by side and see the differences. Visually online they look the same. You can always bring both exhaust systems back up to Phoenix and take them to the shop I had the exhaust done at. The guy there can re-bend the pipes to make them fit properly (re-weld the hangars, etc). Here's some parts diagrams (click on them for larger images)

Both look damn near the same. I will have to take a good look underneath both cars and check out what the differences are. I currently don't have my 184 but will by the end of the week.

Crossmember
- I was under the impression because I installed the e153 transmission I would of needed the st165 crossmember. I didn't. The crossmembers on there are St162 crossmembers. Check out Jasmine's project thread and you can see what I had to do to make it fit (simply enlarged a hole on the crossmember to motor mount bracket, nothing crazy)

I was thinking of going that route as well and keep my mounts and use them with polyurethane inserts. Easier route for me since I have had no luck finding a 185 crossmember. Still will need 185 shift cables.

Intercooler mount & piping
-I'd remove the front bumper & crash bar assembly off the 5th gen and check out how it compares to the 4th gen.
I'm going to be down in Tucson the week after the 4th of July if you need some extra hands.

Once I get my 184 back in town I will have to take a look at both of them. Hopefully I don't have to remove the bumper and crash bar but if I do then so be it. Wanted to wait until the swap process.

Atticus
06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Just want to randomly throw this out there but man Jasmine has some wicked bumpsteer. Not sure if you ever noticed it but damn near almost gave me a heart attack today lol. Now looking at some tie rod flip kits before I kill myself :)

4thgenceli
06-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah she does. That's one reason i ran her at wastegate only. Running the tvsv system was almost uncontrollable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Atticus
06-11-2013, 09:39 PM
I plugged it in and the boost gauge still reads about 9 PSI. I didn't worry too much about it because I'm going to order a manual boost controller and UEGO wideband gauge very soon.