PDA

View Full Version : Reliable Daily Driver

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I have thought about selling both my Camry and Celica and buying an actual reliable vehicle. If I don't find anything, I'll be driving the Camry across country.

Looking in the sub $3000 range. Looking for something under 15 years old, with decent gas mileage. I've been looking at Subaru wagons. Any thoughts?

85gtsblackman
06-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Don't get an auto subie and head gaskets are hit or miss

Most reliable thing is old toyotas so....

Hookecho
06-09-2013, 01:54 AM
Most reliable thing is old toyotas so....

Really?

UtahSleeper
06-09-2013, 04:42 AM
Just get a civic :/ I dont care for them, but they are reliable as hell and great gas mileage.

Or get a Corolla.........or sentra................just not anything american in that price range lol

crymson
06-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Just get a civic :/ I dont care for them, but they are reliable as hell and great gas mileage.

Or get a Corolla.........or sentra................just not anything american in that price range lol

I second civic for boring reliable dd. they're ugly as three bears spooning, but they are reliable.

a corolla is also a good choice, just don't buy a rolla with a 1zz in it. especially not for less than 3K

burnyd
06-09-2013, 05:32 AM
3rd gen celica for sure.

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-09-2013, 05:48 AM
I never seem to find a decent Civic that hasn't been riced or it's transmission shot.

My other apprehension is that I will find a Civic and then have it stolen in LA.

I should find a decent Corolla. I just need cheap for the time being.

MrMcQuacker
06-09-2013, 05:56 AM
I would say go civic but that wouldn't be the best choice. If you keeped it really clean you will be bound to getting it jacked for parts. If you riced it out then you still be jacked no win situation. Just go with an older school celica or corolla. a camery isn't that bad as well.

underscore
06-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Celica, Camry or Corolla. Since you already have two of those and don't seem to be satisfied, sell them and buy the third?

Car_Barn_Bandit
06-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Celica needs more work then she's worth now.

Camry is really great, but at 20mpg city in Los Angeles, I'm not looking forward to that.

I'll see if I can find a decent Corolla between 2001 and 2003. While I'll hate to lose the fun driving of either car, I need to save money and work off debts.

85gtsblackman
06-09-2013, 03:19 PM
3tc corolla, it's great on gas n shouldn't break

Facime
06-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Id look for an AE92 (SR5 or GT-S preferred). As a dirt cheap alternative you can buy a Geo Prism version (GSi trim for the 4AGE) for next to nothing and still get the reliability. You could pick up a 4cyl camry and have something familiar drivetrain wise at least but get better mileage.

To go against the grain I can also say that anything with GM 3.8 "series" motors that has at least had the coolant changed once in its life is probably a safe bet. We've had several in the family and they have all treated us well and still get reasonable mileage.

CriScO
06-10-2013, 05:58 AM
To go against the grain I can also say that anything with GM 3.8 "series" motors that has at least had the coolant changed once in its life is probably a safe bet. We've had several in the family and they have all treated us well and still get reasonable mileage.
And an intake gasket...

UtahSleeper
06-11-2013, 02:31 AM
3tc corolla, it's great on gas n shouldn't break

+1 Mine has been neglected for years and still runs great.

Tecker184
06-11-2013, 03:25 AM
93-97 corolla my vote I beat the ever living piss out of mine daily runs mint. Parts are stupid cheap and abundant. I get 30mpg religiously and I drive aggressively.

Civics are are also a great choice but if its going to be jacked for parts then its obviously isn't lol.