PDA

View Full Version : Overheated this morning

Nitro_Alltrac
06-01-2013, 11:26 PM
After driving the All Trac to work yesterday, I hopped in it and ran down the street to the bank. While sitting at the drive thru, I noticed the temp gauge was into the red. I was only about a mile from the house so I hauled back home quick.

When I got home I shut it down and popped the hood. I had steam jetting out from under the alternator. At that point, things were so hot I couldn't really see anything. I did notice that there was some water bubbling just to the left of the oil filter/cooler but there wasn't anything steady and the steam jet was coming from further over where I couldn't really see what was going on.

I let things cool and down and went back to check things out. Of course the coolant level in the radiator was low so I filled it back up and started the car up, expecting to easily find a steady stream of coolant coming out. No such luck. I let the engine run for a good while, nothing. I even took it out for a drive up the street, stopped and sat in a parking lot for 10 minutes or so to replicate the bank stop. Nothing. The temp gauge held hard and fast in the normal range. Ran it back home, same thing, not heating issue.

So, anybody have any ideas of what I should look for. I changed my HFH out a couple of years and heavily insulated it. I can see it and it's fine. It looks like there is a hose coming off a nipple on the passenger side of the oil cooler that goes down to the right somewhere. I guess it could be that one but the lack of a visual leak is perplexing me. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

187flatliner
06-01-2013, 11:44 PM
your thermostat stuck, change it

187flatliner
06-01-2013, 11:46 PM
and next time, just shut it off as soon as you see it in the red, better to stay safe, dont ever just shut it off, just turn off the motor and keep the fans going to help cool it down, even if its a block down to your house.....wait till it cools then mob, safer that way

UtahSleeper
06-02-2013, 04:08 AM
+1

Also, maybe keep some water in the car.

I would replace the thermostat and just keep an eye on the coolant level, make sure your don't lose anymore.

METDeath
06-02-2013, 04:31 AM
+1

Also, maybe keep some water in the car.

I would replace the thermostat and just keep an eye on the coolant level, make sure your don't lose anymore.

Distilled water, has nothing in it.

However, it doesn't mean that it won't make your car smell like rotting garbage if it leaks into your trunk during the summer and sits for up to two weeks.

spitfiremk16
06-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Is the hose you referring to this one?http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y413/spitfiremk16/163434807ab7e62a203f6fb6d33461e7_zpsd96e84b9.jpg
The hose from hell on earth? (Hfhoe) between the bottom of the rear half of the water pump and the oil cooler? If you have not replaced it at some point I would recommend doing so. It should be replaced att the same time as the hfh. Also are you running factory toyota red coolant or green coolant? I have found from eperience that red coolant is much easier to detect a coolant leak with because it will dry up and look like red boogers around said leaking area while green coolant may slowly trickle out and stay fairly clear looking making it hard to see.

Luni
06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Most commonly overlooked item that will cause overheat in these things is the radiator cap. Get a new one from Toyota.

187flatliner
06-04-2013, 03:20 AM
yeah that to, but since he had said there was boiling water near the alt, i would check/change the thermostat as well

Luni
06-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Any place where there can be flow across an area of lower to higher pressure in a sealed environment there can be coolant boiling. Also keep in mind the overflow is also over there too isnt it?

Shadowlife25
06-04-2013, 10:35 PM
The overflow tank is on the air cleaner side.

Luni
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Ok, then it could have had an air bubble of some sort over there, or thermostat was partially stuck closed/open or something else. Just some ideas. All I know is when troubleshooting I always go for the Rad cap first.

Shadowlife25
06-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Ok, then it could have had an air bubble of some sort over there, or thermostat was partially stuck closed/open or something else. Just some ideas. All I know is when troubleshooting I always go for the Rad cap first.

It is the least expensive and most typical option usually. I would venture that his thermostat may need to be replaced though. The nice part is that it is pretty easy to take it out and test it on the stove with a thermometer. (The kind for a turkey is usually fine)
Another thing to consider as well is that you should make sure that you have the proper amount of coolant in the reservoir as well. Remember a few years back when the fella with the black AT was having overheating issues and it was because his overflow was dry?
Anyhow, let us know what the results are. :)

Nitro_Alltrac
06-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Well I got the thermostat changed this weekend. So far so good but now I've got a miss after it warms up but I think that is the distributor cap. I had it off while I was working on the car and it wasn't in the best shape. I'm going to change that out and see if that fixes that problem. Plugs and wires are pretty new.

As for the thermostat, I ran things till it got hot and no leaks. I'm going to double check for air in the coolant system this week and then button it up and see what I have. The radiator cap that I have on there is a couple of years old and is OEM. I'll see about replacing it as well. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Shadowlife25
06-18-2013, 02:34 AM
Don't forget to replace your seals when you do the cap and rotor on the dizzy. Also, just replace the rad cap. It's like a $5 part anyhow. :)