PDA

View Full Version : AWD conversion

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-31-2013, 08:04 AM
I found the rear differential with axles. what all has to be done to do this mod. there is like 4 bolts that it looks like it mounts up to the car. whould this take the place of the trailing arms? so all you would have to d is get the drive shaft and the hubs to fit the axles?

correct me if im wrong.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-31-2013, 08:32 AM
one i found was from an st205 would it still work?

crymson
05-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Short answer: If you want AWD, by an alltrac.

Long Answer: You also need an AWD transmission, floorpans, probably a modified drive shaft (looking between my Alltrac and GT-S the shaft is bigger on the Alltrac). Beyond that you'll need the mounting hardware for the rear diff, and some more stuff I've forgotten. This has been discussed ad nauseum, and the consensus is that it's simply not cost effective. You'll spend a lot of money to build something that will not function as well as the real thing or be as safe as the real thing.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
yep thats what i got out some other fourms.

Lonestag
05-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Just to go a little deeper, the 6th Gen did use the same body for the 2wd and Awd version, so a conversion is a lot less of a headache, still a big umdertaking, but not nearly as onerous as doing it with a 5th gen.

bloodMoney
05-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Eli is correct.

To get 4WD into a 6g, it just requires fabbing up the chassis mount points, cutting the spare tire well out and installing a fuel cell.

But your measurements for the mounts have to be spot on and cannot move during the welding process.

crymson
06-01-2013, 06:02 AM
the doing this to an st20x is much more interesting anyway, as were still 6+ years away from being able to bring st205's into the country. st185's aren't exactly common, but if you want one you will find it eventually.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-22-2013, 09:01 PM
To convert a 5th gen (18X) you have to have the correct floor pans from just under the front of the rear seat all the way back not to mention all of the rear diff parts, drive shafts, etc. There are one or two running around that have had this done but it really is more money than it's worth. This should show up in the Search. There have been several threads about this in the past few years.

It is much simpler on a 6th gen.