PDA

View Full Version : Driver seat replacment

NYTEPSYCE
05-25-2013, 02:43 AM
My driver seat is starting to wear on the left side just under my leg with a piece of metal (not sharp) pushing on my leg and causing pain after a while. I am having trouble finding a seat, especially since it is the one that has the ergodynamic switch that adjusts it internally. Has anyone ever had their seats reupholstered?

93celicaconv
05-25-2013, 03:01 AM
First, I have no idea what year & model Celica you have, so the seat you are referring to is not understood.

Second, I have a pair of 5th Gen GT-S seats with power lumbar & bolsters. I am looking to reupholster those in leather for a driver & passenger setup in my 93 Celica convertible. Only source I have found to get new upholstery for these 5th Gen GT-S & All-Trac seats is by an upholstery shop willing to make a new OEM from a cloth pattern sent in. Not sure if that is what you are looking to do. Your current seat should not have a piece of metal that is cutting through the existing upholstery. Perhaps you should figure out what is wrong there and correct that before putting new covers on your seats only to have that piece of metal still in harms way.

crymson
05-25-2013, 04:15 AM
It sounds like the foam in your seats has deteriorated.

METDeath
05-25-2013, 05:12 AM
For the record any GTS seat bottom (rails, etc) will work for you. The foam is also the same for the All-trac/GT4 but the rails are not.

NYTEPSYCE
05-25-2013, 08:00 AM
It is for a 1990 Celica GT-S. Some of the foam seem to be gone where the piece of metal is underneath. There are also 2 small holes just above the metal piece. The metal piece is not sharp, kind of handle shaped, that is how it feels. The rest of the seat is in tip top condition, so the fabric and foam only need to be replaced on the left side of the seat.

NYTEPSYCE
05-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Yea, I need to look into that before I try to have the seat reupholstered. The metal is smooth, kind of handle-shaped.

crymson
05-25-2013, 10:02 AM
If you go to a good upholstery place they will offer (for a price) to replace/repair the foam in the seat.

93celicaconv
05-25-2013, 12:30 PM
I have 2 extra GT-S front seat bottoms (no rails, no backrests). They would have the cloth covers and good foam. I'm not willing to part with them yet, as when my complete seats get reuphostered, I want to have those available in case there is a foam flaw, to get the foam out of them. If I find out I don't need to do that, I could sell you one of the GT-S seat bottoms. But I am probably a month or two away from doing the reupholstery work.

The Captain
05-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Yea, I need to look into that before I try to have the seat reupholstered. The metal is smooth, kind of handle-shaped.

It's just the support. Check out my "secret project" thread. Show's the part in question. Sounds like you need to find a seat in the bone yard with a good bottom.

Facime
05-25-2013, 05:22 PM
If you take the upholstry off the seat you can usually repair the foam. Using a special spray adhesive just for foam and fabric (most upholstry shops sell cans of it) You want to coat both sides of the tear in the foam where the metal has pushed through, let dry to tacky, then mash the two halves bac together.

I had to do this exact same thing recently on a 90 GTS. I also glued some leather scraps to the foam up in the pocket where the metal bar goes to prevent it from ripping through the foam again.

obviusly its just easier to find a new foam bottom, but repairs are doable.

NYTEPSYCE
05-26-2013, 01:58 AM
That sounds like a doable idea. I could even cut out the foam of an existing seat (found a couple of leather seats where the leather was pretty much useless, but the foam seemed to be in good shape), and glue that in place of the foam that has broken down. I think I will try out your idea, thank you.

NYTEPSYCE
05-30-2013, 02:06 AM
Can i use seats from a '94 celica in my '90 gts?

METDeath
05-30-2013, 03:12 AM
The seat rails may not line up, however, you could certainly try. I know people put the 7th gen seats in 5th gens.

Shadowlife25
05-30-2013, 03:16 AM
They do but it requires some fab on the brackets. Not tough to do if you have measuring tape a straight edge and a welder.

NYTEPSYCE
06-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Well, just found never used original seat covers on EBAY for my 1990 celica that match the ones in my Celica exactly! Just have to find a auto upholstery shop that will replace the missing foam and put the covers on.

MCcelica
06-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Otherwise I believe the 7th gen seats fit correctly into the 5th gen. Aaron (VikingJZ) has some for sale here: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?57596-FS-2000-2004-7th-Gen-Celica-GT-Cloth-Front-Seats-*NICE*

Personal opinion, but 7th gen seats are much better than 5th or 6th gen seats. I've owned all the above.

METDeath
06-03-2013, 02:42 AM
Otherwise I believe the 7th gen seats fit correctly into the 5th gen. Aaron (VikingJZ) has some for sale here: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?57596-FS-2000-2004-7th-Gen-Celica-GT-Cloth-Front-Seats-*NICE*

Personal opinion, but 7th gen seats are much better than 5th or 6th gen seats. I've owned all the above.

I like my power lumbar seat better than the 7th gen seat. However, non power lumbar vs 7th gen, I'd take a 7th gen seat.

NYTEPSYCE
06-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I have the power lumbar seat so I am going with the reupholstery.

NYTEPSYCE
06-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Got the seat upholstery, only problem is that the pattern doesn't match. Mine has a slanted pattern while the one's I received have a checkboard pattern. The material is exactly the same though and I had a thought. The smooth fabric has a seem between it and the pattern fabric, so all I have to have done, beside replacing some of the foam, is to separate the pieces and use the smooth part with my present seat; the rest of the seat is in excellent shape. I'll still be stuck with a passenger and back seat upholestery, but I be there is someone on EBAY that could use them.