PDA

View Full Version : ST165 wiring harness options

ericfragola
05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone,

My project is an 88 st165, st185 block with an st205 head. Garrett gt35 turbo, fmic, TT supra fuel pump. ...the works.

So I ran into a lot of troubles with a shop wiring my brand new EMS. They stopped paying rent and my car seized in the closing and I wasnt informed. Anyways, I was lucky enough to get my baby back. But when I did, the original wire harness and new harness + EMS were missing.... :(

so im desperate to get my alltrac running. I know the n/a models have essentially the same harness layout. My question is. Which harness can I use to make one just to get the car running normal? I have a very beat up old 165 harness that I can use the plugs from for the stock ecu. Any suggestions for which motor to pull from that would require the least modifications?

I'm doing this so I csn get her back on the roads until I can afford another ems set up. I lost over 2k in the process with that shop....I paid for parts and labor all up front then it took 600 to get it out :( what a nightmare.

Thanks a million ahead of time!:)

UtahSleeper
05-22-2013, 08:31 PM
I would think most S based engine harnesses can be made to work, not sure if its worth the money and you may end up spending just as much gathering little parts to make things work.

What ecu are you planning to use to get things working? What MAF? I am assuming stock ecu......

ericfragola
05-23-2013, 06:16 AM
I was thinking the same, any S series. Was thinking about the 93 GTS. I will be doing a completely stock electrical system. I just need the car running at this point. I will be using the 93 ecu.

UtahSleeper
05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Is that going to work? My concerns would be the ECU being able to control and read the distributor.

If you can get the stuff cheap enough, may be worth a shot, not sure how well it will handle. The ECU may flood the engine since the injectors will be double the size of what it is use to running.

What aftermarket ECU are you trying to save for? Seems like the possibility of alot of time and money to just get it running, to just wipe it all out again.

ericfragola
05-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I will be using the stock 165 ecu. I have a spare. Also I have a spare 165 harness that is not fixable. I will cut off the ecu plugs on that, with a good amount of wire and use which ever S series harness will pretty much be the closest to the 3sgte. im assuming the 5th gen gts. Also, I will need all the relay box and everything to pretty much match.

ericfragola
05-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Well, I have the relay box scratch that. Im basically just looking for a bundle of wires to match my engines routing. I think the 5th gen gts should do fine if I cut off the ends and carefully match who does what to my 165 plugs

ericfragola
05-25-2013, 10:16 PM
So I picked up a 3S-FE harness out of a 90 camry, full harness from the junkyard with relay box and everything.

Lets see how this works out!

UtahSleeper
05-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Good luck!

Shadowlife25
05-31-2013, 06:09 AM
You could always give Dr. Tweak a call. He does excellent work and I am pretty sure he could make you a harness to your spec. Either way, it is worth giving him a call. Link for him is in my sig.

ChrisD
06-02-2013, 03:14 PM
I was going to say make sure it's a 4th gen. That will make the fuse box connections a lot easier. 3SGE would have been more ideal but 3SFE can work too. I'm not 100% sure what the cxns look like at the fuse end, but you can make anything work in the end. (heck I'm running an ST185 fuse box in my ST165)

For your specific q's- the distributor is pretty much the same on them all. Shouldn't have to worry too much about that. It's a special insulated cable.

For making your conversion, I wrote a how to on my process a while back that I follow, works every time. I can find it for you if you wanted when I'm at a computer next, or search it out. Basically, get the pinout diagrams for both your 3SFE and the 3SGTE and use that as your checklist. Go one by one, convert them / change things where necessary, cross each off as you do them. Use the engine control diagrams to compare. You'll find most are the same but you'll probably have to add a few circuits here and there.

Good luck!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

ericfragola
06-14-2013, 10:38 PM
I was going to say make sure it's a 4th gen. That will make the fuse box connections a lot easier. 3SGE would have been more ideal but 3SFE can work too. I'm not 100% sure what the cxns look like at the fuse end, but you can make anything work in the end. (heck I'm running an ST185 fuse box in my ST165)

For your specific q's- the distributor is pretty much the same on them all. Shouldn't have to worry too much about that. It's a special insulated cable.

For making your conversion, I wrote a how to on my process a while back that I follow, works every time. I can find it for you if you wanted when I'm at a computer next, or search it out. Basically, get the pinout diagrams for both your 3SFE and the 3SGTE and use that as your checklist. Go one by one, convert them / change things where necessary, cross each off as you do them. Use the engine control diagrams to compare. You'll find most are the same but you'll probably have to add a few circuits here and there.

Good luck!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Chris. I have my handy dandy toyota manual, with the layout of the 165s ecu pinning and the 3sfe's layout as well. I tore apart the ecu that matched the harness, and took out the plug that the harness plugs into on the ecu. disconnected each pin from the circuit board and now its ready to be matched to each wire accordingly from my old 165 harness (that the only thing slvageable is the ecu plugs. So here we go, time to mix and match!

ericfragola
06-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Amongst doing my comparing, i noticed the 3sgte has 20 extra pins that the 3sfe does not.

ericfragola
06-14-2013, 10:59 PM
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=4d26d896aa&view=att&th=13f44b2a1325ef67&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hhxx4ma80&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_2ZPqhD0_RWrXtTUGyMm4w&sadet=1371247155691&sads=qwpXANqj4lvOMVQi6zEqH05EhC4&sadssc=1

Here's what i'm looking at. The pictures of the pin outs were taken from my toyota book