PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new stereo help

Grandmastalo
05-18-2013, 11:22 PM
So I got this new old stereo system (jvc kd-sh55) that I just installed into my car, 90 celica gt-s. Everything works fine but my power antenna doesn't raise anymore when the radio is on. Wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem (I've looked aimlessly around the forum as well). Without the antenna raising, my reception range is noticeably less than before. The system has a power antenna socket but the Celica doesn't have anything that fits that, and i tried just touching the 'power antenna' wires in the socket but no cigar. I was using this wiring diagram: www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Toyota/PDF/869033.pdf

grimmythereaper
05-19-2013, 03:53 AM
u could switch to the honda s2k antenna or try hooking the power anetnna wire the acc power wire, (red wire IIRC) unfornternaly a lot of after market companies didnt dig to far into our cars when they were making wire harnesses

crymson
05-19-2013, 05:24 AM
is your car system 10 equipped?
which brand harness adaptor did you use?

david in germany
05-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Celicas have 2 wires, one for power antenna and one for amp switched. Make sure you have them both connected.

Grandmastalo
05-19-2013, 10:12 PM
How do I know if I have a system 10 equipped car? And the system only has 1 antenna input so I just put the bigger wire in. The smaller input works as well but doesn't sit snuggly in the socket but definitely both work as an antenna because when i pull them out or plug them in, my radio reception comes back. But the antenna doesn't raise. I will retry hooking it up to the live wire, I tried it earlier but I think I was touching the wrong wires.

crymson
05-19-2013, 10:44 PM
system 10 systems have ten speaker in them, and little badges on the door that say "system 10' on them.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-19-2013, 11:20 PM
System 10 also has an amp under the passenger seat.

crymson
05-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Also, the larger plug is the rear retractable antenna, the smaller one is the "diversity antenna", it's in the roof above the headliner

METDeath
05-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Also, the larger plug is the rear retractable antenna, the smaller one is the "diversity antenna", it's in the roof above the headliner

I think you might be confusing "roof" with "rear hatch glass or front glass on a convertible"

crymson
05-21-2013, 07:05 AM
I think you might be confusing "roof" with "rear hatch glass or front glass on a convertible"

yes, yes I am.

Also worth noting that the antenna only extends when the radio is on with an aftermarket deck.

Grandmastalo
05-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Sorry I have been busy with finals and graduation. The issue is that the antenna isn't extending when the radio is on, or rather not extending at all. I was just curious if anyone had a solution since I'm assuming this is the main reason my radio reception is so bad. Surely I'm not the first to install an aftermarket stereo into this generation vehicle. I may try splicing the antenna wire with the acc again. Not sure if I had the correct ones, but according to the diagram I used above, when I had everything on, the antenna still didn't rise. Could I splice the "diversity antenna" with the other antenna wire? Would that give me the better reception?

crymson
05-30-2013, 07:21 AM
When I did mine it just worked. Looking at the wiring schematic I think you need the B/R wire coming off the stereo harness to power the antenna. Assuming your GT-S is system 10 equipped.

edit: B/R is Black with red stripe.

Shadowlife25
05-31-2013, 02:10 AM
Just plugging in the actual antenna wire (The one with the big metal end that looks rather like an rca cable) is not going to do anything for you since it does not do anything but extend the signal. You need to actually put POWER to it. You need to find the wire that goes to the power antenna and connect that to your stereo accordingly so that it will put power to it and raise the mast when the HU is turned on.
Check the wiring behind the deck first. Then double check it. Then if all is wired up properly, check in the back behind the plastic panel and see that the power antenna is connected to it's harness plug in the rear.
You can also check the archives and see my write up on the system10 as well as the others with the wire color codes. The basics you need are all there as far as wire colors and connections.