PDA

View Full Version : Power steering leaking..

Biggie1494
05-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Hey all!

So I noticed my power steering pump leaking the other day an I have no clue whats wrong with it :/
The high pressure hose was changed just a month ago so I know what not the problem..

Any ideas what it could be? Maybe the return hose?

Cheers :)

Biggie1494
05-18-2013, 10:01 AM

This was after running the car for 5 mins :dunno:

fussellbug
05-18-2013, 01:51 PM
If you just replaced the high pressure hose, the banjo connection from that hose to the pump could be leaking, especially if you re-used the old copper washers or didn't get the bolt tight enough. To find the leak, you'll need to wipe everything clean and watch for where the fluid comes out when you start the engine.

93celicaconv
05-18-2013, 07:07 PM
While you are at it, consider flushing your power steering fluid with the proper Dexron ATF. Your leak doesn't look very red at all - suggesting that fluid is very old and in poor condition. Valvoline makes an excellent Dexron MaxLife ATF that is synthetic (not advertised on the container). Won't get rid of your leak, but might keep your pump & rack operating better in the long run.

Biggie1494
05-19-2013, 01:13 AM
Okay cheers guys,
Any idea where to get new banjo gaskets and the valvoline fluid in aus?? :)

93celicaconv
05-19-2013, 11:32 PM
I believe the high pressure hose you changed, if it was a new hose, should have had those copper gaskets included with it. If it did not, you might want to ask the place you bought it from why those were omitted and see if you can get new ones.

Valvoline should sell products in Aus. Valvoline MaxLife Dexron ATF. Just check if you local auto parts stores sell it.

Biggie1494
05-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Nah the hose I got was a second hand one from the wreckers that was next to new, if you get what i mean?
so I guess I got what I paid for. Haha.

And I found the flush at my local auto store :)
$55 though.. :(

whonoesidont
05-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Not sure if this is too late to post on, but I would spray down the power steering pump with some parts wash to clean off the fluid. crawl under the car while its running and have someone turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left back and forth. The power steering system creates the most pressure when turning left and right during idle so the pressure should cause it to leak a lot faster than 5 mins. Then you should be able to tell where the leak is coming from. whether its from the power steering pump it self, high pressure line etc.

Biggie1494
05-24-2013, 09:05 AM
You're not late at all! Haha I changed the fluid which has seemed to stop the leak a little bit, an I cleaned it up while I was at it
So ill have a look at it later tomorrow , try an get a better look at where it's leaking from :)