PDA

View Full Version : V6 alltrac....4th Gen?

Numbchux
05-18-2013, 12:16 AM
So I posted in the V6 Alltrac thread, and it apparently didn't get seen.

Anyone know of a reason why that same concept wouldn't work in a 4th gen AT? There's one for sale with a seized engine near my parents' place for pretty cheap (assuming the body is as solid as his ad says), I'm thinking of picking it up and starting my search for a 1MZ donor....

T-spoon
05-18-2013, 05:44 PM
You could put a v6 in an st165 chassis, yes.

ChrisD
05-18-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure why you'd want to though?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

UtahSleeper
05-20-2013, 06:07 PM
I would think it should be just as easy since 2ng gen 3sgte's are drop in.

And I imagine the 1MZ would be for reliability. Dont they have the same or more HP and similiar weight?

Numbchux
05-21-2013, 04:52 AM
I'm not sure why you'd want to though?

Then move along. Obviously if you have to ask, you have nothing to contribute to this thread.

Thanks for the info from you two who actually contributed here. That's my thought too, the 3SGTEs are interchangeable, so this should be too....but I'd hate to get $2k+ into this project and who knows how much time to go for my first test fit and discover a massive oversight.

MrWOT
05-21-2013, 05:21 AM
To me, forced induction V6 or don't bother, unless the 3S was already blown and you had the whole setup cheap and can fab what you need.

Even then, without forced induction, the v6 won't match the potential of the 1G

bloodMoney
05-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Then move along. Obviously if you have to ask, you have nothing to contribute to this thread.

Thanks for the info from you two who actually contributed here. That's my thought too, the 3SGTEs are interchangeable, so this should be too....but I'd hate to get $2k+ into this project and who knows how much time to go for my first test fit and discover a massive oversight.

First, cool your jets. There are some people that are purists, and Chris has one BAD 165.

Second, instead of waiting to get 2k into the project, why not hit up a wrecker for a junk 1mz that you can use for a mock-up motor? Even if it costs you 200 bones, you could scrap the aluminum in that motor to make up your losses if it doesn't fit.

I think the only thing you'd really have issues with is the transfer case. Both the case and the block may need some massaging.

Numbchux
05-21-2013, 06:41 PM
unless the 3S was already blown and you had the whole setup cheap

There's one for sale with a seized engine ... for pretty cheap

Is this thing on?

First, cool your jets. There are some people that are purists, and Chris has one BAD 165.

Second, instead of waiting to get 2k into the project, why not hit up a wrecker for a junk 1mz that you can use for a mock-up motor? Even if it costs you 200 bones, you could scrap the aluminum in that motor to make up your losses if it doesn't fit.

I think the only thing you'd really have issues with is the transfer case. Both the case and the block may need some massaging.

Yep, transmission issue/solution is very well documented

Also, the purists should be happy, this thing has one foot already in the crusher.

The 1MZ donor isn't the expensive part. It would be very easy to profit on a partout and still have the necessary parts for the swap. But by the time I got this car, got it hauled somewhere, the transmission and axles needed, and then the other miscellaneous stuff needed for a decent test-fit, I'd be close $2k in it. I'd probably be able to make a good chunk of that back selling un-needed 165 parts once I knew it was going to work....

The Captain
05-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Is this thing on?

Yes, it's on. You deleted the rest of the sentence and for your convenience.

It said "unless the 3s is already blown AND you had the whole (V6) setup cheap"

The others perhaps trying to ascertain why you'd go through the headache of reinventing the wheel. You never gave us a reason why the V6. We're enthusiasts. We're curious. We want to know because we are interested in your project and your motivations. Does that deserve snippy answers or demeaning rebuttals? We're not judging you. Your thread was answered on the first post. Done. Should we lock threads when they're answered?

We're a small, caring, sharing community and we're here to help.

Thread locked. Question answered.

MrWOT
05-23-2013, 02:27 AM
Seized doesn't mean the engine is trash either.