PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen GT-S Front Seats - Leather Upholstery Kit

93celicaconv
05-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Anyone who has past experience/knowledge on this subject, I welcome your feedback.

There are several sources I found that provide complete leather upholstery kits for my 93 GT convertible. These places allow color choices & 2-tone options (which is what I want to do). Only issue is I would like to replace my front GT seats with front GT-S seats (both with power lumbar & side bolsters).

I can't find any place that makes replacement leather upholstery covers (OEM type) for the 5th Gen GT-S seats.

Has anyone ever found a leather kit that has the patterns for the 5th Gen GT-S (or All-Trac, I believe the seat covers are of the same pattern) seats?

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Captain took his seats apart and made the patterns off his old seat material to fashion new ones.

93celicaconv
05-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Captain took his seats apart and made the patterns off his old seat material to fashion new ones.

Actually, that is an idea. I would assume Captain didn't sew his cut leather pieces together though, did he? I wouldn't have the capability to do that. And that (along with making the patterns) is what most of the local upholstery shops are saying would be prohibitively expensive to do. But having the pieces premade would save some money.

I've been researching this issue for a few months now, and after sending this out, I did find a location (www.roadwire.com) that does appear to make leather kits separately for the 90-93 Celica convertible, 90-93 GT coupe, and 90-93 GT-S coupe. This is encouraging - I need to call them tomorrow. If they have all these kit options, perhaps they will be able to mix & match for me.

METDeath
05-12-2013, 10:01 PM
No, he ordered a kit from a guy on eBay and explained what he needed. Check his Duchess build thread.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-12-2013, 10:37 PM
There were a couple of guys at AT.net that had bought the kit that the guy on Ebay sells. I know one of them installed the kit and it came out pretty well. I had pictures from him some where but I don't know if I can find them.

acidice333
05-13-2013, 12:30 AM
For the ebay kits, you have to transfer over some hardware.

You may also need to do some sewing (or at least I did) to the rear covers and possibly fronts (depending on how you like the finish)

I did my driver seat first years ago, then last year I did my passenger seat and rears. The driver seat is sadly super wrinkly now, and the rest is starting to not look as new.

93celicaconv
05-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Roadwire verified their GT-S leather kit is absent some patterns, so they can't do the front seats on for a GT-S anymore. There is one more site that says they can do it, but I need to see that they indeed have done GT-S seats (1990-93) before. That one is www.bestleatherkits.com.