PDA

View Full Version : Replacing steering rack grommets

pdqubet
05-06-2013, 10:30 PM
My question is directed to anyone who has changed out the steering rack or replaced the steering rack grommets. Do I need/have to take off the center crossmember, the lower crossmember or both? The passenger side grommet looks straight forward, but the one that sits directly in front of the rear engine mount looks to be a nightmare. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Peter (NC)

93celicaconv
05-07-2013, 02:56 AM
It's possible to have two different answers, depending upon what you are trying to do. What are you trying to do? Remove the entire steering rack? Or just replace the steering rack grommets?

pdqubet
05-07-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm just replacing the grommets.

The Captain
05-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I pulled the crossmembers to make it easy. That way you can tilt the motor with a crowbar and stick a 4by4 between the trans and the firewall to hold it out of the way.

93celicaconv
05-07-2013, 06:28 PM
I pulled the crossmembers to make it easy. That way you can tilt the motor with a crowbar and stick a 4by4 between the trans and the firewall to hold it out of the way.

Agreed. Those crossmembers should be relatively easy to remove and reinstall. The north-south crossmember could be a little tricky if the bolts at the front (near the radiator) are badly rusted. Otherwise, the rest should not be. May need a breaker bar to break the bolts/nuts loose initially, but they will come off.

pdqubet
05-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks for your help Captain and 93celicaconv. I'll get to the fun in the morning.

pdqubet
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Update: I changed out the passenger side grommet with no problem. When I got to the drivers side, both the nut and bolt (which attaches the bracket to the firewall), I was able to remove with just my fingers! Ouch! For those of you readers who might have this repair ahead of you, THE TWO GROMMETS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Passenger side (Toyota part #45517-20110) has a circular inside diameter. Driver's side (part # 45516-20060) has a "D" shape inside. Live and learn. : )

93celicaconv
05-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Update: I changed out the passenger side grommet with no problem. When I got to the drivers side, both the nut and bolt (which attaches the bracket to the firewall), I was able to remove with just my fingers! Ouch! For those of you readers who might have this repair ahead of you, THE TWO GROMMETS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Passenger side (Toyota part #45517-20110) has a circular inside diameter. Driver's side (part # 45516-20060) has a "D" shape inside. Live and learn. : )

I'm assuming, from how I interpret what you wrote, that your drivers side fasteners were loose, not tight, correct? If so, that is amazing they just did not fall out eventually.

What was going on this caused you to want to replace your steering rack grommets anyway?

pdqubet
05-10-2013, 10:17 PM
You're correct, the drivers side bolt and nut, which holds the bracket in place, were so loose, I was able to extract them with my fingers. My steering was incredibly sloppy. I could go from 10 to 2 on my steering wheel before the steering reacted. I didn't even think about the brackets being loose. I focused on tie rods (which I changed and they were bad), steering knuckle (which was ok), the steering wheel nut (which was good) and so I turned to the rack itself. I took it to my Toyota guy and he and his other mechanic found the problem in about 10-15 seconds, at which time I felt like even a bigger dumb ass. He suggested replacing the grommets. Update #2: the driver's side grommet wasn't in that bad of shape, so I cleaned up everything and fastened it down. The steering is back to normal, as should be. Hopefully, it holds.