PDA

View Full Version : Remanufactured Cylinder Head

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Is it worth gettina a new one considering if my engine has 260K pluss miles on it? Ebay has them for about 300 bucks and I can send in my old one.

This is for a 5sfe engine.

and can u get bigger cam gears for the 5sfe?

Doowstados
04-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I would say you're better off pulling a good junkyard motor.

DanteDemont
05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
How can you tell if you have a federal or a California vehicle?
My VIN number doesn't display at advance auto parts when they look it up, I'm not sure how to find out.
I got a 1990 toyota celica GtS an want to buy this cylinder head...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=171025266685&index=13&nav=SEARCH&nid=16257233848

METDeath
05-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Dante, you will have better luck creating your own thread.

93celicaconv
05-07-2013, 02:52 AM
How can you tell if you have a federal or a California vehicle?
My VIN number doesn't display at advance auto parts when they look it up, I'm not sure how to find out.
I got a 1990 toyota celica GtS an want to buy this cylinder head...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=171025266685&index=13&nav=SEARCH&nid=16257233848

Here is a California emissions 5S-FE cylinder head. Notice the tube on this cylinder head. Does yours have this tube? If yes, get the one below. If not, get the one you found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-CAMRY-CELICA-MR2-2-2-5SFE-DOHC-CYLINDER-HEAD-CALIFORNIA-VERSION-ONLY-/171025268601?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d1e67f79&vxp=mtr

Doowstados
05-08-2013, 08:26 AM
If you have a 1993 and older there is no difference in the heads. Check out one of the more recent posts in my project thread, I explain it more in detail there.

EDIT: here's the post:

Learned some new information today that I thought might come in handy in the future for someone.

Apparently only revision 2 5SFE Calif. heads actually have any differences from the Fed emissions heads (the addition of a port for air shrouded injectors).

90-93 (revision 1) heads apparently do not share this difference, so theoretically any 90-93 5SFE can be legally swapped into a CA emissions 90-93 car and hook up properly to the EGR system (provided you have the proper intake manifold). I called Aaron at Lithia and asked him to check to verify there was no difference in part numbers, and there was none. I also spoke to Eric and he verified that his 5FSE (92?) also does not have the port.

Sweet.

93celicaconv
05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
If you have a 1993 and older there is no difference in the heads. Check out one of the more recent posts in my project thread, I explain it more in detail there.

EDIT: here's the post:

One problem with this information. Rev 1 5S-FE engines were installed on 1990-1991 Celicas. Rev 2 5S-FE engines were installed on 1992-1993 Ceicas. Even still, 17639-muscle_bound89-Live.com should get the head the corresponds with what he already has (with or without a port being the determining factor) as that will be the only difference in any head he can get in the Rev 1 or Rev 2 (Fed or Cali) types. Pretty simple.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-16-2013, 05:30 AM
so it shouldnt matter which one I get?
im really debatin on investing the shit load of money ill need to do the 3sgte swap.

93celicaconv
05-16-2013, 03:03 PM
so it shouldnt matter which one I get?
im really debatin on investing the shit load of money ill need to do the 3sgte swap.

I'm confused by your response. Both ebay adds for the different heads for your engine are the same price. Why would you not get one that matches what you have? If you have the Cali emissions tube shown, get that one. If you don't get the other. They are the same price.

Regarding a 3S-GTE swap, that is a completely different question. Plenty of stickies in this forum of what has been done. If you are up to that direction, go that way. If not, get the head the rebuilt head that matches the head already on your engine.

jaydog82
05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
DO NOT BUY A REMAN HEAD FROM EBAY. I did and had nothing but problems, the first head was bad the second was not resurfaced correctly. Get a low mile junkyard head and have it done by a shop or have them do your original head.

Sent from my Nexus 4

jaydog82
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Also FYI I spent over 2k just rebuilding a 5sfe after a rod knock, its not worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 4

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-18-2013, 07:59 AM
how much was it to rebuild your head. Or can you possibly do it your self. if say you get new cams, valves and springs? Resurfacing shouldnt be but a couple hundred bucks.

jaydog82
05-18-2013, 05:00 PM
You don't need new springs unless yours are bad, if your cams are scored then the head is bad as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4

93celicaconv
05-18-2013, 07:02 PM
how much was it to rebuild your head. Or can you possibly do it your self. if say you get new cams, valves and springs? Resurfacing shouldnt be but a couple hundred bucks.

Cost is somewhat dependent on what is wrong with the head that is causing the rebuild. Normal rebuild work involves replacing valve stem seals and resurfacing the surface that mounts to the block (via the headgasket). If the valve lash is all taken up, most often it is better to get new valves than to purchase thinner shims. If the cams are scored on the lobes, the price goes way up in that you would need a new cam or cams (depending if you have more than one cam having lobe scoring). If the cam journals are scored, the head is junk, so don't bother with a rebuild. Say you provide the machine shop the valve stem seals (they often come with a head rebuild kit), and your block mating surface needs minor refinish work, the old head rebuild cost would be ~$100. If you want to have the head checked for cracks (lets say you had an internal coolant leak or oil leak), add another $50. If you need to replace a valve or two, add another $75. Almost anything else that could be wrong with the head, junk yours and find another.

Don't trash all heads sold on ebay - not all ebay sellers are putting out junk. But some are, so understand the risk. Check seller feedback before getting anything like this on ebay.

Savage heads from a pick'n'pull usually are going to be good, as long as the salvage yard can tell you the engine ran fine when the vehicle came in. Ofter time cars that were in obvious crashes with otherwise good appearance tells you the engine is probably good. But if you take a head off of a salvage car, it still needs to go get a minor rebuild minimum (valve seals replaced and block mounting surface checked for flatness and refinished if necessary). Good think if you pull the head, you will need to remove the cams to get the headbolts out, so you will see if the cams have any scoring anywhere. If one or more do, avoid that head.