PDA

View Full Version : North/South crossmember mount repair

4thgenceli
04-18-2013, 10:56 PM
What are the options to repair these mounts?

The way I see it I have a few options.

Radiator core support crossmember mount:
Option A:
Drill 2 holes (or cut an opening) directly over top of the current mount point. Remove and weld in two new nuts. Either close up the hole or leave it open.

Option B:
Cut out square around the two bolt holes, weld new nuts in place, re-weld back onto core support.

Firewall crossmember mount:

I can't think of any other way to do this except to cut out the current mount, weld new nuts on and re-weld the piece back in.

Please, no bullshit comments. This is a serious thread. I'm on the tipping point of giving up on the whole car and buying a blazer again.

underscore
04-19-2013, 12:07 AM
I'd cut from above at the front, and close it back up. I can't visualize the area around the rear right now so I can't help with that one.

4thgenceli
04-19-2013, 12:10 AM
I'd cut from above at the front, and close it back up. I can't visualize the area around the rear right now so I can't help with that one.

I'm leaning that way as well mainly because I won't be stressing the weld. If I can find a way to do this to the rear as well I would do it. I'm going to post some pictures tonight or this weekend when I get the crossmember off

4thgenceli
05-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Turns out, my mount points are in OK shape.

Galcobar
05-01-2013, 04:12 AM
So what was the problem that made you think replacing those mount points would be necessary?

4thgenceli
05-01-2013, 04:27 AM
During the marathon clutch job, one of the front and rear bolts popped when torquing them down.

When driving a few weeks back, there was a pop I felt down by my feet. Due to location I associated this with the rear mount point giving out.

Turns out, those new bolts I bought from Toyota failed. They stripped a good section of the threads.

As it turns out, this breakdown was either due to axle or wheel bearing, quite possibly a combination of both.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2