PDA

View Full Version : Rear disc....from a 6g?

Numbchux
04-18-2013, 06:14 AM
_

METDeath
04-18-2013, 12:34 PM
They are compatible, there is a thread about changing the rear trailing links on a 5th gen over to the 6th gen set up. There is also a thread about rear disc conversion, if I remember correctly both are stickies in the suspension forum.

Numbchux
04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
_

METDeath
04-18-2013, 07:52 PM
On the rears? I am 90% sure they are the same. I know the struts interchange just fine, not sure about the strut mounts.

Numbchux
04-19-2013, 12:23 AM
_

Galcobar
04-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Far as I know the fifth- and sixth-gen naturally-aspirated Celica knuckles are interchangeable, with one area of concern -- the centrebore. Now, it won't be an issue on the brakes if you're also pulling the rotors from the sixth-gen, but the wheels could be a problem.

If you're using hub-centric wheels -- which include stock wheels -- sized to fit a fifth-gen's hub, then the sixth-gen's larger centrebore means the wheel is unlikely to fit correctly over the sixth-gen hub. It depends on how perfectly the existing wheels fit onto the 54 mm fifth-gen hub. If there's any slack, then the 55 mm diametre of the sixth-gen hub shouldn't be an issue, but stock components are manufactured with tight enough tolerances that they are not compatible.

Numbchux
04-19-2013, 05:02 AM
_

METDeath
04-19-2013, 05:42 AM
That's interesting. I saw that difference, but don't have any reason not to use rotors that match the hub.

But wheels....hmmm. I'm using all Subaru wheels with the 54.1mm bore. I also am currently running hub centric H&R 15mm spacers (to keep those high-offset Subaru wheels off the strut). The spacers are aluminum, so it probably would be very easy to open them up another mm on the hub side.

It would also be pretty easy to mess up the round of said spacers and make them non hub centric. H&R probably makes a spacer for the larger bore.

That said, you can just go the slightly harder route and transfer over all the brake hardware and reuse your current hubs (I did that on my conversion on my 91 GT, known working vs unknown junkyard parts).

Galcobar
04-20-2013, 09:13 PM
I also kept my existing hubs, though my conversion from drum to disc was done with all fifth-gen parts. Since I had to remove and replace my hubs to swap the backing plates from drum to disc, I did have to buy a new O-ring for each hub.