PDA

View Full Version : Making a hard decision

crymson
04-13-2013, 03:31 AM
So now that I've bought Alexandra, I need to make a really hard decision. I can't keep three Celicas for more than a month. I have a deadline from my landlord/roommate to be down to two cars by the middle of May.

I initially was going to part with Gracie (my 5th gen GT-S), but its a gut wrenching feeling to do that.

So, I've assembled the list of things about each car, and am trying to decide which to keep. Keep in mind that the goal is to have a reliable DD, not a fun car. I'd love some feedback or input!

Hannah (2001 GT-S)
For Keeping:
> Utterly reliable - I have never had issues with her that weren't my fault
> Newer - Parts are readily available
> 2zz - great power, easy to drive, good highway mileage
> Looks nicer - definitely going to score more points with the ladies :)
> New tires that I like
> The breaks have good stopping power
> Sound system works great

For Selling:
> It's worth ~6500 dollars (only has 80K on her), that would pay off Alexandra in her entirety plus drop 2 grand in my pocket for parts. And it's only going to lose value as time goes on.
> She's *just barely* a little too small for me. I can't sit up straight in her, and long trips can be fun
> The thought of selling her hurts, but I'm not likely to cry when someone drives off in her
> Supreme gas is expensive, and i do mostly city driving, so the great highway mileage doesn't help me so much

Gracie (1990 GT-s)
For Keeping:
> I've dropped a lot of work into her and got her cleaned up. She needs probably a good week's worth of work and she'll be drivable.
> Runs on regular gas!
> She's not worth much (kbb only goes back to 1993, which a '93 like mine is rated at $1750, so I'm thinking $1500), but she's also not likely to lose much more value as time goes on
> She has all of the power options you want (everything but ABS)
> The suspension was rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago
> I would cry when someone drove off with her

For Selling:
> Her reliability is unproven, and she is going to need some work in the future (Compression is a little low across the board, and she burns rich.
> She has 265,000 miles, though the engine was replaced at some point (the vin is not California spec, but the engine is)
> She has the potential for becoming another project car

What do y'all think?

Murgatroy
04-13-2013, 03:37 AM
If the 5th Gen isn't road worthy, she isn't worth $1000. Cold fact of life.

The 7th Gen would sell faster. For more money, and put you in the black.

If you sell the 7th Gen, do you have a reliable daily driver that won't break every day?

Personally, I don't like to sell cars. I prefer to give them away. I am only slightly kidding, of the last four cars that have left my family, two were sold at a pittance and two were given away to someone that needed them more than I did.

I still have more cars than I need, by a lot.

If it were me I would ask which I need more, money, or a reliable car. If you need money, sell the 7th Gen. If you need a reliable car, sell the 5th Gen. You have an Alltrac, thus you can't have two projects, unless you are mentally deficient.

I am mentally deficient. I have two projects and a Mustang.

crymson
04-13-2013, 04:14 AM
I guess I should clarify "drivable" She doesn't have seats, or seatbelts, or airbags at the moment. And in Oregon a car must have all of its original safety equipment to be driven on the roads. I have all of these things, I just need to put them back in.

Hookecho
04-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Sell the 5th gen. Keep the 7th for sure. An Alltrac is a money pit and headache enough itself. Two 5th gens is a money pit from hell. Don't be stupid.

Tecker184
04-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I'd keep the 5th gen, the parts are cheap and that 5sfe will run forever if you keep oil in it. All of the zz engines had oil consumption issues as the miles go up. The engines also do not take well to be ran low on oil and there not cheap to replace.

If it were me the fact that it took premium fuel and I owned it out right would make me sell it right away. Where I live the older cars do not need to emissions tested just have to pass safety. That's also a huge plus for the 5th gen, those pesky check engine lights are annoying.

All said and done if the 5th gen isn't rusty I'd say keep it, you will most likely regret selling it. If your anything like me you will regret selling it and buy another one down the road.

METDeath
04-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Sell the 7th gen, get the GTS squared away as a daily, and stop doing extra stuff to it.

UtahSleeper
04-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Sell the 7th gen if you feel you can get the 5th GT-S road worthy in a short time. Less shit to breake when compared to the 7th.

Luni
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
You guys are fucking hipsters.

7th gen GTS is a way better car than a 5th gen.

Sell the 5th gen, 7th Gen GTS is an AWESOME daily driver. Keep the 7th gen and the alltrac. I guarantee you will work on that 7th gen less than a 5th gen with 265k miles on it. And the 7th gen will retain its value, it isnt likely to go down. For what its worth, to the right person a 7th gen GTS with 80k miles in good shape is worth more than 6500.

Luni
04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Just curious, how many of you 5th gen 5SFE powered guys are getting 33-35mpg out of your cars? Thats what I get out of my 7th gen. It totally offsets the fact that it takes premium fuel. And the fact that its quick enough to get out of its own way and way funner to drive than a 5th gen makes it a much better daily IMO. Im parital, cause Ive had one for the past 7 years, but I guarantee Ive done less maintenance work on my 7th gen than most 5th gen drivers have in 150k miles of use. (replacing my engine due to my own stupidity on the misshift doesnt count).

T-spoon
04-15-2013, 10:50 PM
(replacing my engine due to my own stupidity on the misshift doesnt count).

It kind of does count, because mis-shifting in a 5th gen is extremely unlikely to destroy a 5sfe, whereas that has happened a number of times with the 2zz6spd. But, for the most part your argument is a good one, and I'd also dump the 5g and keep the 7g and alltrac.

Murgatroy
04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
I get 33-35MPG on highway trips, with regular fuel.

UtahSleeper
04-15-2013, 11:35 PM
While I do love the 7th gen, it will lose its value. It is maintaining value right now, but it will only go down as his miles goes and age takes over.

I can't really speak for most 5th gens as I only had mine for a year, I was just looking at the financial side. Getting 6k is alot to get for upgrading 2 cars. Do you think you could get the GT-S trust worthy in quick time?

Hookecho
04-15-2013, 11:51 PM
I get 33-35MPG on highway trips, with regular fuel.

What kind of car do you have again?

Murgatroy
04-16-2013, 12:05 AM
What kind of car do you have again?

Oh that is right, I have a correct wheel drive domestic with impressive numbers backing up...

I guess I will just get out of the thread and go back to MF or something...

Hookecho
04-16-2013, 12:56 AM
You sure are uppity.

I seriously couldn't remember that you had a Moostang.

Luni
04-16-2013, 01:06 AM
While I do love the 7th gen, it will lose its value. It is maintaining value right now, but it will only go down as his miles goes and age takes over.

I can't really speak for most 5th gens as I only had mine for a year, I was just looking at the financial side. Getting 6k is alot to get for upgrading 2 cars. Do you think you could get the GT-S trust worthy in quick time?

7th gens have cult status already. Theyre hard to find in decent condition. Theyre getting to be in the same realm as an MR2. The blue book value is starting to mean nothing when dealing with them. Trust me, their vaule may go down, but it will level out, and possibly come backup. This happens to ALL cars that are out of production.

I still maintain the 7th gen is the better daily driver given that he already owns it. I guess its arbitrary and up to him as to which car he likes more, but since its an opinion thread, I maintain at this point, cost of ownership on the 7th gen will be less overall with more readily available parts, and it gets better gas mileage, is funner to drive, and is a safer car.

Again, just my opinion.

MCcelica
04-16-2013, 05:52 AM
I have to back Luni up, of course. I'm over 217k on mine. She gets abused everywhere she goes. She doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil as, contrary to popular belief, not all zz engines have oil issues. Back when I got my car, I should have paid $12,500. I got her for $6,500. I could probably still pull $4,000 out of her if I needed to. Not including oil, I still haven't spent what I paid for the car in maintenance items AND repairs. Guess what. She still runs like she's brand new too. So put that in your juice box and suck it! :P

crymson
04-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Well, my room mate has been in need of a car for a while, and I decided that it was time to get him out of a Honda and into a real car. So I'm selling him the 90 for $500.