PDA

View Full Version : Fuse problems

shazabf
04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
hey y'all im new here and i drive a 1991 celica gt and i have a problem. 97% of the time when i put my car in reverse the fuse for the rpm,fuel,temperature gauge blows out and i dont know why also could anyone post a picture of the fuse box cover down by the drivers side footwell i dont know what fuse does what...

93celicaconv
04-10-2013, 03:14 AM
It would be nice to know if your 91 Celica GT has a manual or automatic transmission.

Given this unknown, be aware that the back-up lights in the back are on the same 15A Gauge fuse circuit that supplies the instrument cluster. So you must be blowing that 15A Gauge fuse, which accounts for your instrument cluster problems that result from going into reverse.

You may have a problem with one or both of your backup lamps that is causing a short to ground, or one of the lamp bases is corroded causing a short to ground. Or the wire in the back-up light circuit is shorted to ground (that would be a red wire with black stripe). Your back-up light switch on your transmission (depending upon what kind of transmission you have) may be faulty and causing this short.

Have you had any tranmission work done recently? Any work done that may have affecting the wiring along the driver-side rocker panel area, or in the trunk area? I would first check your back-up lamps to see if the source of the problem is with one of them or one of the bases. If not, it gets a little harder to find the short you have in your system.

Oh, by-the-way, your 15A Gauge fuse is fuse #4 in your fuse holder by the driver side kick panel under the dash (middle row, left column).

shazabf
04-11-2013, 06:37 PM
My car has a manual transmission sorry and no there really hasn't been anything done that would affect my wiring and the guy before me had put a new clutch in it but that was a while back and this problem just started happening

93celicaconv
04-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Have you check your back-up lamps, sockets, or wiring at this point yet?

DanteDemont
04-18-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm having the same issues, is there a thread already made?
Or maybe links of pictures of the wiring system/fuse box diagram?
Mine doesn't have then =\

KoreanJoey
04-19-2013, 02:19 PM
For the sake of troubleshooting, try removing the reverse lamp bulbs and see if it still occurs.

shazabf
04-26-2013, 06:22 PM
So I'm not sure if this could've been it the whole time but I was driving and my tachometer starts acting up and everything that the fuse controls starts shorting then smoke starts coming through the vents band my car shuts off and I check under my hood and I see my engine wiring harness smoking up... Guess that was my problem the whole time......

93celicaconv
04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
So I'm not sure if this could've been it the whole time but I was driving and my tachometer starts acting up and everything that the fuse controls starts shorting then smoke starts coming through the vents band my car shuts off and I check under my hood and I see my engine wiring harness smoking up... Guess that was my problem the whole time......

That's too bad you didn't work through the issue associated with the reverse lamp switch circuit earlier to find the location of the short. Now, you've likely damaged the entire engine harness due to that short melting the wire casings of wires next to it within the harness. Although, maybe the silver lining is you need to find a good replacement harness at a salvage yard (needs to be from a 1990-1991 GT w/manual transmission), as this kind of replacement may very likely solve your problem (provided this most recent incident didn't damage other systems, like your ECU).

shazabf
04-26-2013, 10:28 PM
well fuck but theres only one wire thats fired in the harness and is electrical stuff from a salvage yard a good idea????

93celicaconv
04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
well fuck but theres only one wire thats fired in the harness and is electrical stuff from a salvage yard a good idea????

There was only one fried wire - that was when your fuse went out and protected the other wires, so only your instrument cluster, reverse lights, etc., stopped working. This last time you said your engine shut off. If that was the case, or is still the case, you likely shorted out several more wires.

Does your engine start up and run fine right now?

shazabf
04-26-2013, 11:31 PM
yes that all that happened. i tried to start it once more and it cranked but didnt turn over and there was a lag between the time the key was on start and when the engine cranked of about 3 seconds and then i let it cool down for 30 minutes and it started up no problem then turned it off because i was scared it would mess it up more i had it towed home and i have not tried starting it since

shazabf
04-26-2013, 11:32 PM
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=f3896d19a2&view=att&th=13e486714a4df136&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=1433418177367244800-local0&zw

heres a picture of the harness and if you look you'll see one wire without the plastic on it

93celicaconv
04-27-2013, 05:01 AM
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=f3896d19a2&view=att&th=13e486714a4df136&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=1433418177367244800-local0&zw

heres a picture of the harness and if you look you'll see one wire without the plastic on it

Your link is requiring us to use a Google username & password - which I don't have an account for. There are several picture sites (like PhotoBucket) which you can use to post pictures on this site. There is a sticky in this forum with instructions on how to do that. I would suggest you use that method to post pictures.

shazabf
04-27-2013, 06:26 PM
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a564/Shazab_Farooqui/IMG_20130426_161419_zps41d7b9f8.jpg

Sorry about that! Here it is

93celicaconv
04-28-2013, 01:56 AM
One wire for sure is burned. You have to find where the source of the short is yet though. That burned wire is between the burned wire's fuse (or battery connection) and the source of the short. That wire got hot the entire length from the short to the fuse. Chances are it burned the insulation off of some additional wires it was in contact with. I wonder why that wire got that hot to burn before the fuse went out. You didn't, but chance, put in a larger than 15A fuse the last time the fuse burned out, did you?

shazabf
04-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Yea I'm gonna open it up and find the burn and no I always put a 15A I had a box of them on hand but I never really went into reverse and when I did I would pull the fuse out and go into reverse

93celicaconv
04-28-2013, 02:53 PM
That being the case, you likely have another wire that shorted to the wire that blew your fuse, and likely that wire is now cause you havoc. This is a tough one, sorry about that.

shazabf
04-30-2013, 05:27 AM
Yea I know it's pretty complex but today I started it and rice it to my garage and then put a new fuse and put it in reverse 7 times and the fuse didn't blow and it seemed fine but after that I opened up the plastics of the harness and am currently putting electrical tape on the damaged wire