PDA

View Full Version : 93 Celica GT Excessive Engine Vibration

chris_trevisiol
04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Vehicle: 1993 Toyota Celica GT 2.2l Manual Transmission FWD
Complaint: Excessive Engine Vibration
-Occurs ONLY when unloaded I.E. In neutral throughout rpm range Idle to around 3500rpm, somewhat more balanced in higher rpm range.

Known Repair History W/IN 15XXX Miles:
-New Clutch
-New Axles
-Tranmission Rebuilt
-New Wheel Bearings, Struts, Springs, Tie Rods, Ball Joints, ETC. Literally if you can name a suspension component i guarantee ive replaced it.
-Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tune -Up, Valve Cover Gaskets, Distributor
-New Motor Mounts, Front and Rear L&R sides are fine.

Alternative Factors:
-Complaint is not engine accessory related.
-I.E. Power Steering was removed years ago along with AC Compressor
-Alternator is currently being rebuilt. Waiting on parts, Complaint continues w/ accessory's removed.
-Exhaust Hanger between Flex-Pipe and resonator is broken, may be contributing but is not main cause of vibration.

Now i cant remember when i first recognized this issue, since ive ignored it for a long time, and the most likely cause of this is the clutch pressure plate being unbalanced. (I believe it was a cheap part, hell its been a few years) Im just looking for other ideas here, another opinion before i decide to pull that transmission again.

KoreanJoey
04-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Motor mounts are toast? Low idle? Misfire?

93celicaconv
04-09-2013, 11:51 PM
-New Motor Mounts, Front and Rear L&R sides are fine.

When you say new front & rear motor mounts, are you referring to the front & rear of the car ends, or the front & rear of the engine ends?

chris_trevisiol
04-12-2013, 07:31 PM
New front and rear facing the vehicle, guess you could call them transmission mounts but there both brand spanking new. The two on the left and right sides are in okay condition, there not torn or cracked.
Idle is normal about 1200 cold and 700 hot smooth no misfires.

KoreanJoey
04-13-2013, 06:24 AM
Crossmember bushings?

Facime
04-14-2013, 08:33 PM
crazy, Im in your area and have the exact same issue with my sisters '90. I bet we find the answer to one we find the answer to the other. I tried similar steps to correct my issue and had the motor out of the car, replaced the clutch and searched for internal clues to no avail. After I put the car all back together and the vibration was still there I simply threw up my hands and gave the car back telling my sister to "live with it". Its rare I let a problem like that beat me, but damned if I have a clue.

Like you, I replaced the front and rear motor mounts, but not the left and right as I too determined they looked ok (maybe they arent though?). My crossmember bushings looked fine as well and using a prybar to isolate some possible causes could not find any reason to suspect anything in those areas. I also suspected the exhaust system of creating a vibration transfer, but ruled that out by running it with the exhaust system unattached at the midpipe with no hangers in play, and that affected nothing. Al my timing components were new as well, but I didnt replaced the dampner.

My BEST guess and biggest regret when I had the car apart was an unbalanced flywheel. There were the typical few mangled starter teeth and I simply fotgot to ask my machine shop to check it for balance. I SHOULD have just replaced it, but to be honest, I got lazy.

My plan was to let her drive the car for a while to see if she enjoyed owning it before putting more effort into it. Once the weather starts to get a little nicer more consistently I planeed to change out the flywheel and dampner and left and right mounts all at once in a last effort to get rid of the problem.

If you find anything else out please let me know, as Im interested to see what you come up with. Also, like I said Im in your area (Im 30 miles west of Corvallis) and willing to lend a hand if you need it. please dont hesitate to ask.