PDA

View Full Version : 6th gen 3sgte motor for 5th gen celica

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-07-2013, 07:15 AM
I know this has been done but does anyone know if this will work?
Will the motor mount up to the stock 5th gen transmission?
Is there any extra things that need to be done so everything mounts up right?

Grot
04-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Search, my friend.

But yes the transmission in a GT/GTS will work.
And the motor will bolt right in.

Wiring and electrics are another story though.

If you have an ST, Fabrication will be required, and a new trans will need to be sourced as well.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Sweet. I have a 91 GTS Ebay has a lot of them that shiped straight from Japapn. but mostly come with the transmission. I hear its good to use the transmission but i dont how much of a pain it would be to take it from 4wd to frw. and the motors come with the ECU and wiring harness uncut. a little over a thousand dollars for it. would probably have to find a gaskit kit though since they sit for quite a while.

Grot
04-08-2013, 07:25 AM
IIRC all you need is a block off plate to convert the trans to FWD.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-08-2013, 08:13 AM
where would I find one?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Other questions on parts im looking at for added HP

Walboro feul pump ive herd its necessary

as for injectors and feul rail i have seen 1000CC injectors

Also to goin more HP they say eagle rods and Weisco pisons a must

what should I do about radiator? will say a radiator for a 1994 mount up to the stock mount brackets? I want to get a new thicker aluminum radiator.

theres an awsome thread I found. just trying to figure out the sixth gen parts i can get for my 5th gen.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/17-celica-forum/52814-5sfe-turbo-upgrade-info.html

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-08-2013, 08:20 AM
I know HKS is the best for doing all the upgrades but also the most expensive. I can find everything I need on ebay. intercooler kits to to turbos. how rebutible is ebay for getting good parts though.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-08-2013, 12:20 PM
where to find one?
or whats it take to convert to 4wd?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-08-2013, 03:39 PM
For transmission parts if I decide to keep the stock 5s trans. what could I do with it for the 3s motor?

4thgenceli
04-08-2013, 04:35 PM
where would I find one?

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to use a mr2 transmission to convert it to FWD. It should be linked somewhere in the Forced Induction forum. Search for transmission conversion, you'll find it.

Other questions on parts im looking at for added HP

Walboro feul pump ive herd its necessary

as for injectors and feul rail i have seen 1000CC injectors

Also to goin more HP they say eagle rods and Weisco pisons a must

what should I do about radiator? will say a radiator for a 1994 mount up to the stock mount brackets? I want to get a new thicker aluminum radiator.

theres an awsome thread I found. just trying to figure out the sixth gen parts i can get for my 5th gen.

Again, look in the FI forum stickies. There's a crapload of information there (including Thinking about swapping? READ THIS FIRST (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?81-Thinking-about-swapping-READ-THIS-FIRST).

Yes you'll need an upgraded fuel pump. Why do you want 1000cc injectors? Same question to pistons and rods? To pump that much fuel and use the pistons/rods at that higher HP ratings you'll need a standalone EMS as well. Check out AutoPWR radiators. I have one in my swap and it works great. Dual core, all aluminium.

I know HKS is the best for doing all the upgrades but also the most expensive. I can find everything I need on ebay. intercooler kits to to turbos. how rebutible is ebay for getting good parts though.

You get what you pay for.

where to find one?
or whats it take to convert to 4wd?

A metric ton of $$$.

For transmission parts if I decide to keep the stock 5s trans. what could I do with it for the 3s motor?

You can drive it. Hookecho did a 3sgte swap and used his automatic transmission for a while with no problems.

Now from a personal perspective, stop. Just stop everything. Step away from the keyboard and think about this. You're clearly all over place and need to read up a bit on the swap. Read through my project thread, you'll get some good laughs. You really need to search the forum and read through the sticky threads in the Forced Induction forum.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-08-2013, 08:20 PM
yep im still just in the research stage. I am currently deployed in the middle east and trying to see whats good to have. what works with what.
I bough the car a year ago and still isnt road ready. All it really needs is a head gaskit for the 5s motor. but im saying screw it the stock motor is too slow so going to go with 3s for when i get home.
and dress up the motor with nice aftermarket parts.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-09-2013, 06:00 AM
I am not looking to buy a front clip sonsidering ill just be needing motor, ecu, wiring harness. im going to take the sixth gen 3s n put it on my fifth gen celica. the shipping is way more and after your done you left with a bunch of spare parts. and im not really looking to hold onto metal.

If i were to do the fifth gen swap id be ok with it to get the bumper. but I hear the sixth gen motor is the best to go with. has more hp.

KoreanJoey
04-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Dude, the front clip will probably save you a lot of hunting for small sensors and what not.

Plus you could probably sell a lot of the JDM 6th gen parts to make back the difference.

It's not plug and play. You will have to do a bit of wiring OR send it out to get the harness adapted (if you're unsure of yourself, this is the route you should go).

underscore
04-09-2013, 03:52 PM
^ exactly the JDM body panels for both the 5th and 6th gen are fairly desirable, so you could get a fair bit of coin for them if they're undamaged. If you just want a stock swap, which from you're other thread it sounds like you do, then just leave it stock, replace some gaskets and put it in. The stock system is capable of bringing you up to ~275HP without serious modification, so there's no need for forged internals and 1000cc injectors. You will need a better fuel pump however I advise staying away from the Walbro 255 unless you know a reseller that deals directly with Walbro because there are boatloads of fake ones out there.

4thgenceli
04-09-2013, 04:20 PM
^^^ werd.

The only one you can really get away with purchasing a motor, ecu and harness for is the ST215. The ST165/185/205 has all kinds of little sensors and do-dads here and there you may not get with the motor/ecu/harness.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-10-2013, 07:24 PM
what can u do to the stock 5s motor to push 275 hp? Ive done alot of research and there is no aftermarket for the 5s motor. on stock internals you cant run that much psi on a turbo.
naturally aspirated wouldnt put out that much hp either.

only way to do internals is gt 3s head and have it machined to match water port. all sounds like a big headach to me. unless i have custom pistons made which god knows how much that would cost.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-11-2013, 07:13 PM
read my recent post. what exactly can u do to get 275hp out of that motor?

richee3
04-12-2013, 04:48 PM
read my recent post. what exactly can u do to get 275hp out of that motor?
He was referring to leaving the 3S-GTE stock, and it can do 275 whp. No need for bigger injectors or forged internals. And you can actually get quite a bit of power out if a boosted 5S. It handles boost surprisingly well. There are pistons available for the 5S, adding the 3S head isn't necessary at all. Either way, if you are set on a 3S-GTE, you'll definitely want a clip. Even if you were doing this swap in a 6th gen, you still need so many small things that you wouldn't get without a clip. Plus the extra cost of shipping the clip means you have an intact engine bay that has protected your very expensive motor during transport, and after selling any valuable parts and taking the leftovers for scrap metal, you've made plenty of money back.

4thgenceli
04-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Get a gen4 3sgte. It's rated at 280hp at the flywheel stock. I have mine restricted down to around 200ish (guessing).

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Ive seen the pistons. say there made for the 5s block with the 3s head. would i be able to use these without the 3s head? its pointless to do that mod considering all the 3s parts you will need and after said and done you basically just paid for a 3s swap.
JE and CP pistons ive also herd of weisco for the internals pluss eagle rods.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=5sfe+forged+aluminum+pistons&_sacat=0&_from=R40

My main question is can these internals be used without the 3s head? and after that the 3s turbo manifold can mount right up to the 5s block.

If this can be done. I would see about the walbro feul pump and maybe some supra injectors if i can find them.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-13-2013, 08:48 AM
ok thanks for aswering my question. If it saves me money im just going to rebuild my 5s motor and get the internals to turbo it.

For pete sakes I have a 350z so I just want a fun little commuter with a little bit of horsepower. and my Z is rated at 300hp stock.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Is it necessary to sleve the block for the forged internals? Machine shops are not cheap from what I hear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP-Pistons-Toyota-MR2-SW20-Celica-GT4-ST205-3SGTE-5SFE-/350355758683?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5192d49e5b&vxp=mtr#ht_2885wt_1161

spitfiremk16
04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
No its not necesary to sleeve the block for forged internals. How much power do you want to make with this engine? On a gen 3 you can make up to 330 whp with just a turbo kit on the stock fuel system. No need for upgraded internals or anything. And as others have said you NEED to upgrade your fuel pump to a walbro 255 or supra twin turbo pump.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Mind you the stock motor has 260+K miles on it. with a blown head gasket, the thermistat is dead, so i willing to bet I would blow it up if I did turbo it without rebuilding it first. What say you?
Currently on deploymnt going to get back to work on this project when I get home. Reason im asking about the forged internals cause ill be rebuilding it anyways so wouldnt it be wise just to go ahead and get forged? Theres total engine rebuild kits on ebay for like 300 bucks. but wondering whos had luck with what products.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-13-2013, 07:06 PM
most the money im making is going towads car payments on my Z. so trying to see what would be more financially smarter rebuilding the stock 5s for getting a 3s shiped to me.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Hey folks after some research. For the 5s Motor CP pistons and eagle rods are a pretty good set up. as for the head it makes for more torque than the 3s head. and i may see about getting the head machined down a little bit along with the runners in the intake manifold.

Ive also read since that the 5s crank is already forged alot of people use it in the 3s motor to create more torque.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-14-2013, 07:13 AM
here is the thread i read from an MR2 fourm on using a 5s crank for more torque
http://www.mr2.com/forums/turbo-engine-talk-modifications-swaps/Toyota-MR2-26120-why-use-5sfe-crank-3sgte.html

Smaay
04-23-2013, 06:50 PM
the 5S-FE has a longer stroke, thats why it makes more torque. its not the head at all, in fact the 5S head is more restrictive and the valve angle is not optimized for performance. its a DOHC but the intake cam is slaved to the exhaust cam. they are not independent like a 3S-GTE

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Yep sorry guys im been posting alot on the 5th Gen page. but I think im going to get a caldina half cut. its already set up for front wheel drive transmission. and i think ill have the crank machined down from the 5 and put it in the 3s.

but question is would it be wise to go ahead and purchase aftermarket pistons and rods?

underscore
04-25-2013, 05:49 PM
You'll have to get new pistons to run the 5S crank IIRC, as well as needing to get your flywheel holes elongated.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-26-2013, 07:28 AM
I can take crank to a machine shop to fit 3s rods and been told u can machine down end of the crank to match up to the 3s flywheel. Possible?

underscore
04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Well you would have to completely shave off the old holes, and then drill and tap new holes, so I'd assume no.

Smaay
05-20-2013, 03:34 AM
why would you spend money to put in a 5S crank when you are getting a caldina engine? just leave it alone!

alltracman78
06-21-2013, 01:14 AM
the 5S-FE has a longer stroke, thats why it makes more torque. its not the head at all, in fact the 5S head is more restrictive and the valve angle is not optimized for performance. its a DOHC but the intake cam is slaved to the exhaust cam. they are not independent like a 3S-GTE

The F head tends to give more torque at a lower RPM with the stock setup. Once you start modding that changes things.
Restrictive is bad for HP, not necessarily for torque. Look at 2 valve heads, they tend to make more torque than 4 valve heads, but they're more restrictive and not as optimized for performance.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
08-14-2013, 12:30 PM
I just check out the auto pwr radiators website they have the st185 radiato for the gt4 will it work with the 5sfe engine also?

4thgenceli
08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
There's plenty of threads on that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta