PDA

View Full Version : I think I have chipmunk power...

4thgenceli
04-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Trying to figure out where this noise might be coming from. From what I can determine, it's a speed / load based sound. I haven't been able to replicate the sound in first or second gear, hard or light throttle.

In third gear I can get the noise to present itself around 3k RPM. If I feather the throttle to keep around that RPM / speed range the noise is heard (driving by a curb or wall I can hear it nice and clear). Shift to fourth gear and keep the speed/load about the same and the noise is there. Off the throttle completely in either scenario the noise dissipates. Give it more gas and not cruise same thing.

I don't have any driving issues (performance, boost), other noises, excessive pulling (I have a slight pull to the right due to needing a full alignment again), or weird vibrations. Oil pressure is good as well. No grinding or groaning when cornering either.

I'm leaning to wheel bearing (again) or axle carrier bearing. I'm not sure how I can try to replicate the sound with the motor off. I'll try to get a video something tomorrow/Saturday and try to capture the sound.

Luni
04-05-2013, 12:43 AM
When you put your transmission back on did you lubricate the TOB pivot fork where it snaps onto the ball in the tranny? Ive seen that make sounds like that. This is a shot in the dark, as it COULD literally be ANYTHING.

The Captain
04-05-2013, 01:30 AM
Did you lubricate the chipmunk before you, um...put it in?

4thgenceli
04-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Yes Luni I put some white lithium grease on the release fork pivot ball and cup, some on the cup where the pushrod is and on the center shaft where the TOB rides. I used the lube that came with the clutch disc on the splines. I didn't over-lubricate anything, it was a thin layer on everything.

Interesting development. It's ONLY when at normal operating temps and clearly coming from the passenger side wheel well area (at least the sound). I took a left hand turn while gently acellerating (ie. red light turned green, took off in first, shilfted to 2nd around 10mph and continued up to about 15 mph while in the turn) and the sound instantly appeared. That's the first time the sound appeared when turning.

4thgenceli
04-05-2013, 02:32 AM
Captain, I don't need to lube the chipmunk :P

I'm thinking of picking up a small press to do bearings and other small things (instead of waiting 2 weeks for the father in-law to do them at his job or paying $60 at a shop to press them on). I've been trying to e-diagnose this (ie. googling the symptoms) and I'm turning up bad hub, bad bearing, hung brake or tie rod. Not sure how a tie rod can squeak...but like you said it's a crapshoot until I can get into it.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Sticking brake caliper?

4thgenceli
04-05-2013, 02:55 AM
Just quickly did a 12-6 shake on the front. Passenger side had some movement, but not much. Drivers side had quite a bit (enough where I could make noise). I'm going to get to a junker this Sunday (hopefully, or Saturday afternoon) and grab a couple 'new' front hubs.

Luni
04-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Bearings typically dont sound like that.

187flatliner
04-05-2013, 06:57 AM
bearing are more like small "thunks"...my drivers side just took a shit on the front lawn yesturday

Galcobar
04-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Check the exhaust, particularly the hangers. It's not uncommon for a crack in the exhaust hanger to rattle only at certain speeds and temperatures.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Check the exhaust, particularly the hangers. It's not uncommon for a crack in the exhaust hanger to rattle only at certain speeds and temperatures.

Heat shield touching exhaust was my issue at 3200 rpm.

4thgenceli
04-05-2013, 04:37 PM
It's not a rattle, it's more of a squeak (like brakes hanging).

Here's the route I just took driving the kids to school and back. It doesn't pop up until I've been driving for a while. All my hangers are OK. I don't think it's a sticky caliper, it doesn't go away when I get on/off the brakes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/Untitled-2_zpsfd7050a6.png

The first right hand turn (going down on the image) nothing. Second right hand, nothing. Slowly started to hear it driving down that road. Third right hand turn, nothing. First left, sound present. All the other left turns it was there. When turning it's not a squeak, but rattle with a grind. The only thing that I think it could be is the outer CV axle, the carrier bearing or wheel bearing.

4thgenceli
04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Skip to 3:25 and finish the clip. You hear the noise. I'm making a slight right hand sweeping curve. I couldn't get the grinding/rattling noise to happen.

AnEJ998mhds

KoreanJoey
04-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Check the exhaust and the heat shields. Sounds like metal to metal vibration.

187flatliner
04-06-2013, 12:11 AM
I almost have that same noise but not as bad.......been trying to figure it out myself.

4thgenceli
04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Does it turn into a grinding rattle from time to time? If I drive enough it turns into a grinding rattle that seems to correlate to wheel speed.

187flatliner
04-06-2013, 02:55 AM
not really a rattle more of a metal squeak. and i can just barely start to turn and i hear it, move the wheel the other direction and its gone....its hard as fuck to find....ive had 3 different shops look at it this last week....im going to change out the hub for a different one and hope that its just the hub going out

4thgenceli
04-06-2013, 04:04 AM
Yeah that's kinda what I'm facing right now.

Just drove from here to the inlaw's house. Made it all the way there and back with no noises. Driving over the lane markers with the drivers tire caused some noises though. Tomorrow she's going on stands for a full shakedown.

187flatliner
04-06-2013, 04:14 AM
do you have any play in the bearings at all?

187flatliner
04-06-2013, 04:17 AM
you know if you were to go to toyotafest...i have a black dash in ok condition

4thgenceli
04-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Crawled under there today. Wheels have minimal play in all directions (basically zero 9:3, very very slight 12:6) Gave everything a good shake and lateral movement test. I can't see anything loose or anything that would make that kinda noise. I did find a 23mm wrench sitting between the firewall and steering rack. Not the noise, but still don't know how it got there heh.

I'm going to tear apart the brake assembly tomorrow to see if anything is in there. It's only present when making right hand slight turns and sometimes on lefts.

187flatliner
04-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Could it be the Megan's?..... check YouTube for Megan coil over noises.

4thgenceli
04-07-2013, 01:16 AM
Didn't think about that. I'll clean out the coilovers and make sure there's no crap in there and check the hub bolt torque and the top bolt as well.

4thgenceli
04-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Update on this:

Drove to the bus station this morning. Took a left hand turn around 15mph (2nd gear) into a U-turn (pulling into a parking lot) and HORRIBLE clicking/grinding came from passenger side. It does appear my passenger side CV took a shit on me.

METDeath
04-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Update on this:

Drove to the bus station this morning. Took a left hand turn around 15mph (2nd gear) into a U-turn (pulling into a parking lot) and HORRIBLE clicking/grinding came from passenger side. It does appear my passenger side CV took a shit on me.

And that's why use a double pane glass table for those...

4thgenceli
04-08-2013, 05:33 PM
And that's why use a double pane glass table for those...

You lost me on that statement. Perhaps I need some more coffee...

187flatliner
04-08-2013, 05:40 PM
where did you get your axles from?

4thgenceli
04-08-2013, 05:58 PM
They're hybrid axles. MR2 SW20 non-LSD inner shafts, ST165 outer shafts. I got them off a member on ST162 a few years back. I can get an axle from CSK for $39, think that's my best bet.

METDeath
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
You lost me on that statement. Perhaps I need some more coffee...

You said it took a shit on you. You're supposed to have a table between you and the shitter... at least, that's what I learned from Drawn Together.

4thgenceli
04-08-2013, 06:27 PM
You said it took a shit on you. You're supposed to have a table between you and the shitter... at least, that's what I learned from Drawn Together.

Jesus.....I did NOT need that mental image thanks.

Ordered a new passenger outer axle. $62 shipped from RockAuto along with new front brake pads. Figure I may as well replace them now.

187flatliner
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
your best bet is to replace your hub bearing as well, you said you have play...REPLACE IT THEN.

im still trying to find a junkyard one.....there is a gts in the yards here but i need one with a 4 lug.

4thgenceli
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
It's already been replaced. There wasn't that much play, and the play that was there it was still in spec of the BGB.

187flatliner
04-08-2013, 08:24 PM
when did you get it replaced?....then if you did i would start looking at your axles.......weird problem.