PDA

View Full Version : Engine Remanufactured Drop in Questions.

DanteDemont
03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
First off what's the best spark plug recommended for a 90 GTS sport celica?

Like I've had iridiums but I heard theirs a cheaper plug that runs better in our car.

Anyways I need to know a list of what I have to rebuy after I drop in the block.

Like gaskets, water pump ect...

I'm new at this an I think it would be easier to put alot of the parts on when the engines out but what all has/should be replaced?

Can I get a list I know it might be alot.
Thanks!!

l0ch0w
03-31-2013, 09:26 PM
NGK coppers. I know us turbo guys use heat range 7, but I think you probably ought to be using 5's or 6's. Not sure though.

grifter30
04-03-2013, 04:45 PM
There's other threads on here with a "what should I do with the engine out" list, but here's a quick list off the top of my head. Feel free to do a couple of searches to get additional input.me that

I'm going to assume that you're getting a used engine that runs and you're wanting to spruce the thing up so that it's just more reliable.
- Head gasket
- *valve cover gasket
- *rear main seal
- *oil pump + seals - I've seen a lot of people recommend an oil pump from a 98, but I'm not sure why.
- *water pump + seals
- *timing belt
- *timing belt cover gaskets
- *reseal oil pan
- exhaust manifold gasket
- intake manifold gasket
- throttle body gasket
- EGR gasket (or delete - there's a thread for this)
- *new thermostat
- new/rebuild power steering pump
- replace power steering hoses
- replace vacuum hoses
- Engine mounts

The ones with asterisks(*) are the one's I'd consider higher priority because they are relatively easy and can be a pain to replace when the engine is in the car and they represent things that can cause engine damage if they go out or stop working.

The head gasket is also a really good idea to replace but, in my opinion, the level of work and difficulty starts to really go up with this one. You'll want either some experience or someone there to help you knock it out. Also want to print out or have right there the steps from the BGB for the Head Gasket, which is really the disassembly of the head.

Also, with several of these components, there's o-rings and other small seals that get replaced such as with the water pump and oil pump. So you'll want to pay attention to what you're doing and just knock each component out one by one.

Luni
04-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Im a turbo guy, and I run iridums. I hate coppers. I dont like changing them every time I change my oil.

Luni
04-05-2013, 12:41 AM
NGK coppers. I know us turbo guys use heat range 7, but I think you probably ought to be using 5's or 6's. Not sure though.

Anything under 300whp is fine on 6s. Ive driven an MR2 that made 330ish WHP in Utah that was running on 6s with no issues. Ive also ran 7s at 250ish whp as well, just saying you dont NEED to run 7s unless you are beyond 300hp OR youre detonating (every engine is different).