PDA

View Full Version : headlights restoration?

Huaraches
03-29-2013, 05:19 AM
how can i go about restoring the shine and repair the rock chips on my fog lights and headlights ?

Galcobar
03-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Polishing glass is, to put it mildly, very difficult.

Though, the stock headlight configuration for North American Celicas used H6054 sealed-beam units, which you throw out when the bulb burns out. You can easily replace them with another seal-beam unit, or upgrade with higher quality housings which use a separate H4 bulb. The 200mm housings are the same basic design as the H6054, but since they're intended to be permanent are better made with thinner glass lenses (more light gets through) and sharper beam patterns (more light is usable).

Best to use a housing which has a beam pattern that conforms to the ECE (European) code, aka E-code. E-code puts all the light on the road and gives you a sharp, flat cutoff to avoid blinding other drivers; the US DOT beam pattern deliberately scatters half the light into the air to illuminate overhead signs (how many unlit overhead signs do you see these days?).

Autopal makes cheap but decent housings. Bosch and Hella are a step up in price and quality, while the top of the line is Cibie.

With a sharper beam pattern you can then use more efficient H4/HB2/9003 bulbs which produce more light. Philips Premium, for instance, provides 30% more light with no reduction in bulb lifespan. More powerful designs tend to make tradeoffs, such as Osram Silverstars or Philips Vision Plus providing 60% more light but lasting only 150 hours versus the standard 800 hours (Sylvania Silverstars are the same as the Osram but with a blue tint which reduces their output to only 10% over standard). The most expensive and recent high-efficiency H4s have recovered some of that life, with Osram Night Breaker Plus producing 90% more light than the standard H4 on a service life of about 225 hours.

Huaraches
03-29-2013, 07:56 AM
well i have some after market ones for the headlights.(minor chips some yellowish coming up on it) thinking of HIDs soon but what i really want to clear up is the fog lights (OEM) the glass on that is too ugly now and im sure i wont be able to find new ones. so if there is a method what will it mostlikely be. if rubbing the lampis needed im sure i can do that.

This E-code u speak of where can i find that

Galcobar
03-29-2013, 09:14 AM
You can't just stick HID bulbs into a halogen reflector without producing a misshapen beam which will blind other drivers. A fair amount of work -- and money -- has to be put into creating a solution to mount a housing for arc xenon bulbs in the space provided for an H6054 unit.

Though, yellowing housings suggests that you don't have a glass housing. Plastic, particularly cheap plastic, will yellow. As for E-code housings, you might find them at your local autoparts store, but you can certainly find the brands I've listed online.

Look up glass polishing and you'll see what's involved.

crymson
03-30-2013, 01:15 AM
If you decide to go HID, these guys (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=25) do projector retrofit kits, and get great reviews. They have some examples of people mounting these in pop-up headlights (I believe in a NA MX-5) One of the guys in my local Toyota club used them in a corolla and loves them. But they're not cheep, and if you do the conversion take the time to ensure that you have a good pattern and aren't throwing up too much light.

Huaraches
03-30-2013, 08:30 PM
i found these on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/7x6-Projector-Retrofit-Headlight-/221206830316?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3380f45cec&vxp=mtr would they work and they already come with the housing. i tried looking on that website but idk they dont seem to have a housing and im not sure witch is the right one

Galcobar
03-30-2013, 11:16 PM
No idea if those would work -- not enough information to determine whether they'd fit in the pop-up configuration, if the aim can be adjusted, quality of assembly, etc. Also note that bulbs, ballasts and wiring are not included.

The site linked by crymson has some nice gear, but none of it is designed to fit into an H6054 opening.

Huaraches
03-30-2013, 11:54 PM
is their any site that has the gear for H6054 opening.

celica9303
03-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Autopal h4 ecode 200mm housing. Ebay. Love mine even have ddmtuning HID kit. No issues.

crymson
03-31-2013, 04:06 AM
^^This is defiantly the path of least resistance, and probably the cheapest solution.

Galcobar
03-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Except whether it's E-code or DOT, the beam pattern of a halogen housing is not appropriate for an HID bulb. E-code produces a less wrong beam pattern, but it's still wrong. It's akin to strapping a Nissan transmission (the lens) to a Toyota engine (the bulb); just because you can make it fit, or even run, does not mean it's working properly.

crymson
03-31-2013, 09:55 AM
You're absolutely right, I didn't mean to encourage HIDs in E-code housings, and that wasn't clear. I meant converting to an H4 housing and bulb would be better than the stock setup, relatively cheap, and a straightforward process.

celica9303
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Beam pattern is fine in my e-codes. I now It's not proper but it works 1000x better than sealed DOT beams it came with.

If You come up with a proper solution for under $500 let me know, I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic or pulled over due to my lights.

As for foglight restoration, just get a different set

Huaraches
03-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Well I think ill end up spending aroune 350$ for H1 mini morimoto projectors with halos x2 and shrouds x2, 35 w HID buld x2, ballast x2. I wanted the denso ballast but its like 100$ more and also better bulbs but yeah my budget wont allow over 500$ so There goes the idea of quads.... Well I did have a question whats the diff with LHD and RHD ( I believe thats for European and austraila ) thats the option for the projectors

crymson
03-31-2013, 11:29 PM
LHD and RHD should not be confused with LHT and RHT (that's drive vs traffic), since generally traffic is opposite of the driver's side of the car. In the states we're LHD (Driver sits on the left) and RHT (You drive on the right hand side of the road).

Two thoughts for you: What's the point of a halo with pop-ups? The light is on and the housing is up, or the light is off and no one can see the housing. Second: Are those minimoto's bi-directional? If they aren't you are going to lose your highbeams. That may not be an issue for you, but you should be aware of it.

Huaraches
04-02-2013, 05:36 AM
hmmm what relay harness what i need for it to function with H4 bi-xenon?