PDA

View Full Version : Power steering issue........again

pdqubet
03-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Can I bleed my power steering lines, and if so, how do I go about doing it? I have '93 GT Convt, manual. I rebuilt the pump (rebuild kit), installed new pressure hoses (2), return hose and new tie rods last weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

Peter
NC

4thgenceli
03-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Jack the front of the car up. Support it on stands so the wheels can be turned freely. Top off the power steering reservoir. Start the engine. Turn the steering wheel to full lock one way and back the other way. Repeat this a few times making sure your reservoir stays topped off properly.

Doowstados
03-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Jack the front of the car up. Support it on stands so the wheels can be turned freely. Top off the power steering reservoir. Start the engine. Turn the steering wheel to full lock one way and back the other way. Repeat this a few times making sure your reservoir stays topped off properly.

Yeah, if your reservoir doesn't stay full you'll suck air into the system and need to start over. You should also have primed the pump with fluid before you installed it to prevent wear from the initial start.

pdqubet
03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a bleeder valve somewhere. Again thanks

pdqubet
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Found it!!! The steering grommets that assist in securing the rack to the firewall had crumbled apart. The rack was moving back and forth as the steering wheel was turned. Helps to have a second set of eyes. Thanks again for the suggestions.