PDA

View Full Version : Just don't know what to do???

buffalohunter7321
03-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Ok a few weeks back I posted that my trouble lights where flickering or just coming on when trying to start my car or again they would stay off completely.
Update: I have removed the small dry cell battery and replaced it with a 675cca. amp battery and the issue went away. "but" now when I start the car and let it warm up and began to drive away the car starts to sputter and than dies and upon trying to restart it, it is like the battery is dead. I pulled the alternator and had it checked and it is producing 15/15 1/2 amps, so it is good. I checked all ground wires and cleaned them also the battery cables too!
The car will sometimes run really good at times but than it happens, the sputtering and than it dies and won't start for some time! Eventually it will start and run good. But this happened to me at a intersection and was not a safe place to be broke down at.
Any help is very much welcomed.
Jack

UPDATE: The car runs good until it runs the battery down and than starts to miss and die for lack of battery power. Now if the Alternator is ok and the battery is brand new, than what is wrong with my car?

jdm_celica_gts
03-27-2013, 04:58 AM
Year? Model?

buffalohunter7321
03-27-2013, 01:02 PM
st165 Celica all-trac, 1988

bloodMoney
03-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Jack, have you replaced the wire that runs from the battery direct to the alternator? You could have some bad harness wiring.

underscore
03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Yeah that sounds like a bad connection from your alt to the battery. Do you have a multimeter or at least a voltmeter?

buffalohunter7321
03-28-2013, 02:31 AM
Tomorrow I'll run a new wire from the battery to the alternator, its supposed to be kind of sunny and around 50.

I am just about ready to take off all the wiring harness cover and just replace all the wires that even looks bad whether it is or not. I need to brush up on my soldering skills any way, it might as well be now.

In installing the new battery I had to move the fuse box and was thinking that I might have pulled a wire lose from under neath because the bottom plastic piece is lose and is hanging. Could that have possibly caused the problem?

KoreanJoey
03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Dude, bench testing alternators is unreliable. Charge up the battery, fire it up and check the voltage between the alternator and the battery. If it's less than 14, it's bad.

KoreanJoey
03-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Also, make sure to test it after it's at operating temp. Could be a heat related fault with the alternator.

buffalohunter7321
03-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Will check that first and move on from there.

buffalohunter7321
03-28-2013, 05:56 PM
UPDATE:
Found the problem. The quick disconnect plug clip is broken off and allowed the plug to slip out of the alternator. I need to find a new plug in or a used one off of some one who is parting out a car, to replace the broken one. The plug still works but can not trust it to stay in while driving. Will have to use some of my Jet aircraft mechanic skills to keep it in temperately. Viet Nam stuff LOL
Thanks for all the help and advice.... Jack