PDA

View Full Version : ATF issue with 1990 gt 5s-fe tranny

Huaraches
03-24-2013, 10:58 PM
today i was checking if my manual transmission fluid and when i took of the plug at the top (not the drain plug.) quite a bit of ATF spilled out like half a quart. i let it level to were its not dripping anymore...those this mean i had too much ATF in it ? and am i ok by leaving it like that. when i put my finger in i can feel it right away. the car isnt jacked up and is on an even flat surface. i had put in 3 quarts when i changed it and cars front was suspended with towers in mid air (both front tires because we were changing my clutch.)

Hookecho
03-25-2013, 02:56 AM
A half quart to much didn't hurt it. You did right by allowing it to drain.

KoreanJoey
03-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Hell, even over filling a S53 trans a isn't going to hurt it. It's just a splash system anyways.

Huaraches
03-25-2013, 08:53 AM
well i was told having more than enough creates more pressure so what would be the side affects.

KoreanJoey
03-25-2013, 11:34 PM
The S53 doesn't have a pump, no pressure. If you really, really overfill it it'll splash out the vent on the top of the trans.

93celicaconv
03-25-2013, 11:54 PM
today i was checking if my manual transmission fluid and when i took of the plug at the top (not the drain plug.) quite a bit of ATF spilled out like half a quart. i let it level to were its not dripping anymore...those this mean i had too much ATF in it ? and am i ok by leaving it like that. when i put my finger in i can feel it right away. the car isnt jacked up and is on an even flat surface. i had put in 3 quarts when i changed it and cars front was suspended with towers in mid air (both front tires because we were changing my clutch.)

ATF? As in automatic transmission fluid? In your S53 manual transmission?

Did Toyota change the oil specification for that transmission somewhere between 1990 & 1993?

My 1993 Toyota Service Manual says the S53 manual transmission oil should be an API GL-3, GL-4 or GL-5 SAE 75W-90. That's not automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

Huaraches
03-26-2013, 12:46 AM
well thats what it had when i checked to see what i was going to have to put in there and i was told what ever comes out must go in. even the toyota dealer gave me that ATF and i asked if it had to be gear lub its a manual transmission and there like nah it uses that.

Huaraches
03-26-2013, 12:48 AM
after letting the ATF lv. spill out till it was just right my issue with 2nd went in smoother. although i was told it was a bad sychro.