PDA

View Full Version : Sputtering and dying..

Physlis
03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
So recently Prime's started having an issue where he'll sputter once and the CEL comes on and goes right back out, or he'll just up and die. Sometimes after dying he'll fire right back up, other times it takes a minute.

I'm kinda stumped cuz he runs fine, power's all there..I bought a new fuel filter and I'll try to install it tonight, I'm being told it might also be my coil going bad, fuel pump, or maybe part of the dizzy. Any ideas?:thinking:

4thgenceli
03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Do you have gas?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

T-spoon
03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
If fuel pump is going off, maybe the relay for it. If possible you might want to try jumpering the FP one of the times it won't fire right back up and see what happens

Physlis
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
I have gas, plenty of it. I don't know if it's the fuel pump shutting off, just one of the possibilities I came up with out of mechanic consesus at work. Normally I would try to jumper it but its only happened in the middle of my commute to work in heavy traffic, my only goal at that point is to get started and get out of the way...

I'm going to try and use a diagnostic tool to see if it pulls any codes. Hopefully something will come up or really hoping the new filter remedies it.

4thgenceli
03-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Personal joke :)

I was having problems with my car and it turned out I was just out of fuel :)

I agree with what Spoon said, bridge and try to keep the pump running. Also wouldn't hurt to check for vacuum leaks

Physlis
03-19-2013, 07:45 PM
I figured as much, kinda like talking to tech support when they ask if the computer is turned on/plugged in, lol

Physlis
03-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Couldn't find a shop that had an OBD I tool and didn't get the filter changed because the temp dropped dramatically after work. I did however check the FP relay in the engine bay and discovered that I didn't have one installed! Idk what happened to it or how long it's been gone but unless it disintegrated I have to question if I ever had one. Ironically I had one sitting in my glove box that I had pulled from a car some 6+ years ago, or at least I figure that's what it is because it's the correct 4-prong. I plugged it in, even though it doesn't seem to fit quite right, and I didn't notice any difference when I started it. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

UtahSleeper
03-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I forget the pins, but under the hood you have a diag port. You jump 2 pins (TE1 and E1......I think, not sure at the moment), count the CEL flashes

mckenziejr
03-21-2013, 12:56 AM
i had the same problem just the other day... a complete tune up solved the problem(cap, rotor, wires, plugs and fuel filter). also jump te1 and e1 and check what codes keeps popping up and then pull the 15amp efi fuse to clear the codes

92 celica
03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
To check the codes it's te1 and e1 jumped and my fuel relay is just a jumper and that's how I've seen all of them for these cars in junk yards

Physlis
04-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Ok, so until saturday night all was fine. Then a block from my friend's house Prime dies again and refuses to restart. I call for a ride and leave him in a nearby parking lot overnight. Sunday morning I go back out and he fires right up, then proceeds to die at the same light just as it turns green:cussing:...This time though I get him restarted and hammer it the whole way home.

Once home I jumped the plug and I get codes 14 and 24; ignition and intake air temp sensor. Fair enough on the temp sensor, I just had it sitting in the bay because with my shortened "winter version" of my intake I had nowhere to put it. So I cut a hole in my 2"-3" step-up rubber hose and stuck it there at the TB. Reset the codes and fired him up again, but he still died within a couple minutes.

Checked codes again and was still getting 14. Plugs are new, wires are relatively new, next thing in my mind was the coil so I dug for the coil pack out of my AT and swapped it over. Reset the codes again and now he seems to be running fine again, even a little smoother...

Hopefully that solves the issue, I'll keep updating if it happens again.

UtahSleeper
04-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Hope that fixes it. I imagine diagnosing a coil isn't always the easiest.