PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal goes very low before braking

1998celica
05-09-2005, 02:19 PM
I have a 1998 Celica Conv with 80000 miles and drive the car from Early May to Oct 1 because of the Winters here in Montreal, Canada. My Brakes are at 90% good and the braking system was cleaned up last year but I noticed the pedal has to go down alot for the car to start braking. I did not take the time to go back to fix it since I don't drive it much and would do it this year. I took the car out last week and have been detailing it every night ( 20 hours in all. I'm a nut when it comes to detailing cars) getting it ready to go to Toyota for the fiter and oil and verification. Since my brakes have been cleaned up and are at 90% left of the brake pads I think I have to bleed my system and it should fix my problem. What are your opinions on this? By the way the has been maintained at Toyota every 3000 miles since day 1 and the car runs and looks like it came out of the showroom today( ZAINO detailing products have a lot to do with it). Any info would be great since I will be going to Toyota tomorrow morning.

roman
05-09-2005, 03:26 PM
The first thing I would do is inspect the lines to make sure none are leaking and then thoroughly bleed the brake system. There is probably just air in the system, and it's pretty easy to get it out. If your pedal still goes down quite a bit before the brakes actually start working (assuming they were bled properly) then I would look into replacing the brake master cylinder.

1998celica
05-13-2005, 07:43 PM
The brakes are in top shape as per mechanic and we did also take a test drive .He told me not to compare the braking system on my 1990 Celica GTS
with 4 disc brakes to the 98 with ABS. They do not feel the same. The 1990 stops on a dime and the 1998 kind of rolls a little more. My car is ready for the summer and will have a blast driving here in Montreal

GT4SOM
05-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Thats because 5th gens p'wns yuo! haha I love the way my 2 5th gens perform. I would definately check your lines. Maybe bleed your brake system, there could be air trapped. Heres a heads up, if there ever is a leak in a break line, Fix it!! It does tend to losen up the caliper brakets bolts. :eek: