PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen: GT vs GT-S Seats

93celicaconv
03-17-2013, 05:16 PM
This spring is targeted to be my last work on my 4-year 93 Celica vert restoration (I have the mechanicals and the body & top work all completed, last piece is the interior reupholstery work and new plush-pile carpeting, refinish & paint wheels to match body colors).

I have an original leather interior in it now in grey. Seats are original GT seats (same as found in any GT model, just with leather). I think I found a local source for grey GT-S seats with power lumbar capability (cloth covered now). I intend to reupholster all seating and trim areas with 2-tone Katzkin Tuscany leather (since the exterior is black & white, I want the new upholstery to be in black & white leather).

Is there any advantage to getting the GT-S seats and re-upholster those in 2-tone black/white leather instead of my conventional GT seats?

One disadvantage is the back of the GT-S seats are not part of the upholstery covers - but rather a hard-shell plastic that will end of staying - and being grey, which I don't think I will like. But, The Captain just did a trial on a spare set of his seats with spraying on some black bedliner material that he says looks great, so that might be an option for me as well.

I don't have a place for the power lumbar control switch, but I think I can find a place. I just need to get wiring, relays, junction box fuse(s), etc., for it. I have a flawless switch for it already, just none of the other wiring.

Just don't know if getting the GT-S seats and getting all the wiring, then installing of of that, provides any significant difference to the seat comfort or the visual appearance that makes it worth it.

Looking for inputs from those who have had 5th Gen GT seats and GT-S seats in their past/present vehicles, on what your opinions are.

METDeath
03-18-2013, 12:50 AM
The power GTS seat is an amazing improvement over the GT seat. You can set the lumbar and the side bolsters to fit your needs.

For example, when I go to the Dragon I set the side bolsters to a tighter fit so that I don't get tossed around as much side to side. Plus I frequently adjust the lumbar depending on how my back is feeling, and it makes a world of difference.

They are one of the few things I salvaged from my GT when it got totaled.

I will actually take pictures of when I install the power lumbar seats in my GTS (non-power), and post a conversion thread. In my GT I simply tapped into the cigarette lighter for power and ground it out to the body under the arm rest.

93celicaconv
03-18-2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback, METDeath. If I may ask a few clarifying questions:

On any GT-S seat, there are both side bolster & lumbar adjustments (with the lumbar adjustment being either manual or power, depending upon the seat type)?
Is there a significant advantage for the lumbar adjustment to be power vs. manual?

METDeath
03-18-2013, 02:51 AM
There is no manually adjustable seat, it's either fixed, or power adjustable. My GTS currently has "fixed" seats, which are identical in structure to the ones that Cappy used in Duchess.

If your armrest has a cassette holder it can easily hold the switch, and still have a decent amount of storage space. Again, when I tear into my GTS I will take pictures of what all I do.

Edit: I will also probably have some usable wiring for you.

93celicaconv
03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
The convertible center arm rest - console cover has the thick, padded cushion over it (probably a good 3-4" thick), which goes over the conventional plastic center arm rest - console cover. I like that feature (keeps both elbows at about the same height, relative to driver door arm rest). So I know that particular spot is not a location that will work for a power seat switch.

I thought the only power seat control on the powered GT-S seats was for lumbar support. I didn't know those same power seats had power bolsters as well. I never saw a separate switch to operate the power bolsters. Where is the power bolster switch normally located on a GT-S?

4thgenceli
03-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I agree with Marshall, the side bolster and lumbar adjustments are amazing. I'm constantly changing my seats depending how I feel that day.

METDeath
03-19-2013, 12:52 AM
The convertible center arm rest - console cover has the thick, padded cushion over it (probably a good 3-4" thick), which goes over the conventional plastic center arm rest - console cover. I like that feature (keeps both elbows at about the same height, relative to driver door arm rest). So I know that particular spot is not a location that will work for a power seat switch.

I thought the only power seat control on the powered GT-S seats was for lumbar support. I didn't know those same power seats had power bolsters as well. I never saw a separate switch to operate the power bolsters. Where is the power bolster switch normally located on a GT-S?

When I say inside the armrest, I mean inside the lid. Not installed in the lid. The single switch does both, left/right is the bolsters, up/down is the lumbar.

93celicaconv
03-19-2013, 02:35 AM
When I say inside the armrest, I mean inside the lid. Not installed in the lid. The single switch does both, left/right is the bolsters, up/down is the lumbar.

OK, inside the console, under the armrest lid - now I got you. That's actually a pretty good idea. May get covered up by stuff being put inside the console, but still possible to do.

Found out I didn't have the GT-S power seat switch anyways - I guess I thought about it at the salvage yard, but dismissed taking one awhile back because those seats were pretty well shot and I wasn't sure I would ever find seats at the time. A salvage yard is looking over the seats tomorrow to let me know what they look like. Hopefully they are in great shape, but the car has been there over 2 years, so I'm not holding my breath.

METDeath
03-19-2013, 03:09 AM
Yup, now, if you have a tape holder instead of the CD holder, the tape holder works far better. I will make sure to take comparison pictures when I do my install (next week probably).

However, I'm guessing with System 8/10 they put in a CD holder instead. My GT came with the tape holder, my GTS the CD holder.

93celicaconv
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Regarding an OEM setup, did only the driver seat have the power features - and the passenger seat had no power (no manual either) lumbar & bolster adjustment capability? I'm gathering this from the service manual.

If so, has anyone customized the passenger seat to be a driver seat with passenger frames, so it would also have power lumbar & bolster capability?

METDeath
03-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes, and yes I did.

I actually just bolted a JDM GT4 driver's seat back with power onto my USDM GTS seat base as they had matching material and changing the rails is a bitch. The second seat switch was the one in the armrest storage.