PDA

View Full Version : car starts then dies

arthur--jr
03-08-2013, 03:28 AM
My 1990 celica gts starts then cuts off after 5 seconds. Going change fuel filter tommorw hopefully it helps but I hope its not a fuel injector problem

MCcelica
03-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Does it only do it when it's cold starting? Or is it all the time?

arthur--jr
03-09-2013, 02:48 AM
well its kind of a project car trying get it running before spring its doing it all the time now just check if the fuel injectors had noid and they didnt. i had the car running for 5 mins the other day after i timed and that was it. now i start it then it dies

MCcelica
03-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Did the fuel pumps check out? Do you have compression test numbers?

This could be a lot of things still.

KoreanJoey
03-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Sounds like the pump. Or maybe the pump relay?

I can't remember on the 5S but sometimes the relay has to power twice (once for key on, then shuts off). Wondering if it's only working with key on and then not staying on when the car is running. Check for power at the fuel pump after start.

KoreanJoey
03-09-2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/6/5/document__-_fuelpump4afe5sfe.jpg

arthur--jr
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
fuel pump check out good its got power and check if the fuel injectors have noid and they do not so i hope its not the ecu. just need check the fuel pressure today.

KoreanJoey
03-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Does the fuel pump have power when it dies?

arthur--jr
03-11-2013, 01:35 AM
yeah it sure does

MCcelica
03-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Does it still die if you push on the throttle after starting it?

arthur--jr
03-11-2013, 11:18 PM
yes indeed it does. when i spray starter fluid in it just keeps running

arthur--jr
03-13-2013, 02:57 AM
could my idle air control valve be the reason of this problem of mine? dont it have something to do with the fuel injection system

MCcelica
03-13-2013, 07:36 AM
could my idle air control valve be the reason of this problem of mine? dont it have something to do with the fuel injection system

That's why I asked if it only did it when it was cold, or all the time. You said all the time. Plus, you also said that it still dies if you push on the throttle after you start. So the short answer is no, that's not your problem. (Also, the IACV doesn't have anything to do with the fuel injection. All it does is bypass the butterfly valve inside the throttle body when the engine is cold. That is why it idles higher when it's cold. Hell, even if it is dying because of a bad IACV, if you open the throttle it stays running).

Anyways, so it stays running when you spray starter fluid in... Have you actually checked the fuel filter then? (The main reason I was asking the other questions was to potentially save you some work). Because it sounds like it HAS to be a fuel issue of some form or fashion. I'm thinking possibly a big clog in the fuel filter that lets enough fuel through to get started, but then gets sucked back into the filter and blocks it off again... Of course it could be the injectors too. (The cold start injector gives it enough gas to start, and the main injectors can't give it enough fuel to stay running).

KoreanJoey
03-13-2013, 09:14 PM
This might seem like an obvious question but... no engine codes?

rizin
03-14-2013, 12:20 AM
One thing to check also is with the key on if you have 12v going to the black wire with a orange strip at the injector plug. I am not for sure if a multimeter or test light is fast enough to pick up the ecu grounding the second wire in the connector. Joey or other people would know better then me on that.

arthur--jr
03-14-2013, 03:56 AM
thanks for the help on this project of mind it's beginning to be a headache but I ain't go an give up on this celica of mine I have fuel filter coming in the mail I'm sure it's never been change since it was my sisters car that she neglected

KoreanJoey
03-14-2013, 08:05 AM
One thing to check also is with the key on if you have 12v going to the black wire with a orange strip at the injector plug. I am not for sure if a multimeter or test light is fast enough to pick up the ecu grounding the second wire in the connector. Joey or other people would know better then me on that.

Test light may work but it'd pretty much be on the entire time.

A good multimeter with a max hold option should work as well.

arthur--jr
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
yeah igot both and plus icould use my circuit voltage probe meter.thanks

arthur--jr
03-17-2013, 01:47 AM
found out my computers shot ordering a new one next week. computer not grounding out properly

KoreanJoey
03-17-2013, 06:01 AM
I have one... but it's a cali computer (2 o2 sensors)

arthur--jr
03-17-2013, 07:04 AM
yeah I'm all the way here in Michigan I'd buy it but I'm getting a good deal on new one for around 160 from o'reilys auto thanks for the help on my project i got post pics . I wanna buy an all trac next

MCcelica
03-18-2013, 05:45 AM
At least you got it figured out. Thanks for posting back.