PDA

View Full Version : Bad 92 5sfe fuel injector leak- What am I missing?

pytrbob
03-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Just replaced my head, on my 92 GT-S following the BGB and Chilton's instructions, and got everything back together (I thought), but last night I noticed a sizable leak coming from injector #3. Took fuel rail off and realized somehow I'd lost my big grommet on said injector. Replaced. Looked like she was fixed. Big breath of relief, cuz I'm supposed to be driving back home (1200 mi) today.

This morning I warmed her up, topped off fluids, got down the driveway and realized she wasn't charging properly. Back up the driveway, park her, get a trickle charger on her, charge and cool her down. When I restarted her to check if my alternator is putting out juice I smelled gas, looked underneath and found a friggin PUDDLE of gas from about 30 sec of idle. She's just pissing gas from multiple injectors.

So. Because I just had her apart and was really really careful about my grommets this time, I feel like I'm missing something, a procedure for seating injector grommets or something that I'm not googling.

I'm in the process of another dis assembly but I'm really trying to be on the road today (HA!) so I'm checking before I do exactly the wrong thing again. Thanks for any input!

93celicaconv
03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
This is a later model Camry 5S-FE thread, but perhaps it will be of help to you. Just don't rush things - even if you feel the need to do so to get home (why you changed the cylinder head 1200 miles from home, I'm not sure, but I'll bet that is another story).

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/339863-diy-fuel-rail-injectors-removal-4cyl-i4-5s-fe-gen4-camry-pics.html

UtahSleeper
03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Did you replace all the injector orings/groments after replacing the head?

celica91gts
03-14-2013, 09:00 AM
I had a really bad fuel leak once, it was a broken o-ring around one of my injectors. i just sniffed around under the hood and see where it smells the most. (don't get high though, you get a really bad headache.)

celica91gts
03-14-2013, 09:02 AM
BTW you have to loosen up the intake manifold to take off your fuel rail, to take out your injectors, to replace the o-rings on your injectors. While they are out get them cleaned. you don't want to do this more than once ya know??

Hookecho
03-14-2013, 12:43 PM
You don't have to loosen the intake manifold to remove the fuel rail/injectors.

Hookecho
03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
What is happening is a simple pressure leak. Either you are not seating the injectors right and pinching the seal or you have the wrong seals. Cold also be the o-rings. Pull the injectors from the rail and replace the o-rings and seals. Make sure there is no debris in the injector nozzle seat when installing them back in the head. The way I do it is to seat the seal in the seats and then install the injectors and rail as one piece.