PDA

View Full Version : Another new car thread...

4thgenceli
03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Yes it's another one of those threads :-\

With the wife starting her new position, we now have that buffer of cash flow and can afford the payment without stretching ourselves thin worrying if we'll make all the bills. We've been approved for a set amount and are shopping around. I've found these cars available.

2002 Toyota Highlander (http://www.chapmanmazda.com/Phoenix-Used-Cars-2002-Toyota-Highlander-H130076A.htm)
2003 Mazda6 (http://www.chapmanautomall.com/2003-Mazda-Mazda6-Phoenix-Az-DZ13031A.htm)
2005 Nissan Pathfinder (http://www.chapmanmazda.com/Phoenix-Used-Cars-2005-Nissan-Pathfinder-H130111A.htm)
2006 Toyota Camry (http://www.chapmanautomall.com/2006-Toyota-Camry-Phoenix-Az-H13787A.htm)

All of them have a good carfax record, but what's that really worth? I'm going to look at all 4 of these tonight. In order of interest, I'm looking Camry, Pathfinder, Highlander then Mazda6. Any input from the peanut gallery (hehe)?y

T-spoon
03-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Really can't stand that body style Camry. 07.. sure, nicer trans and engine too. I guess Highlander, assuming this is to replace the 626.. but meh to the lot of'm

underscore
03-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Dear god that Mazda looks bland inside. But maybe that's what you're going for? You've got two SUV's and two sedans, what are you wanting the vehicle for?

As far as Carfax goes, I take those with a grain of salt. A bad Carfax confirms that the car has issues, but a "clean" report only means that if something bad happened to it, it wasn't reported to insurance. My RC has a clean record but has obviously been in an accident, same with my girlfriends Prelude, and my friend imported a WRX from the US that was "clean" but ended up having a badly tweaked frame.

Murgatroy
03-06-2013, 01:44 AM
Not kidding. I swear.

I was listening to the TV the other day (cause I don't watch it) and they were advertising two Kias (really, two of them) for one low payment. You could choose from the Rio or the Soul. Yeah, I know. But two cars, for like $222 a month is the gig. I am sure your Kia dealer could do similar.

That is two cars. With a lower payment than I have.

Granted, I mean it is not like it is a real car, like a Vette or a Mustang, but it is a new reliable car with a warranty.

4thgenceli
03-06-2013, 04:21 AM
I won't touch one of those hyundai or kia scrap boxes.

The Camry was on hold for someone. They had a 2005 Expedition available. Test drove it and it felt good. No rattles, clunks or any other driveline noises. Had a tick, but it sounded exactly like the Hemi sitting in the driveway. I've never owned a v8, but from past experience (rentals, friends car, etc) it's a normal v8 sound that comes with these big trucks. Ran across the street to the Toyota dealer. They have a 2007 Mazda5 with 61k on the clock. Drove it and she felt good. Nice pep, smooth transmission (much like our current Mazda). Had a clunking coming from the rear somewhere and ticking from the passenger wheel.

Murgatroy
03-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Kinda hard to look two new cars, with two new car warranties in the mouth.

Had that deal been going on when I bought Harmony, I am not sure I can honestly say I would be driving a Mustang right now...

Hipster Lawrence
03-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Don't just buy whatever off the lot. You share as shit don't want an 05 expedition.

Murgatroy
03-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Don't just buy whatever off the lot. You share as shit don't want an 05 expedition.

This is what I have been trying to get at all along. Find a vehicle you like, looks good on paper and you can live with. Research that vehicle. Once you are a pseudo expert on that vehicle, transfer that knowledge to the car lots and keep looking till you find the best one at your price point.

Hell, I am not going to lie, I have been doing the legwork on my Mustang for well over a year before I pulled the trigger. It might have seemed spur of the moment, but I knew every spec and known issue of the car before I stepped on the lot.

Doowstados
03-06-2013, 07:34 AM
You can also get a brand new Nissan Versa for less than both of those. I would take zero miles, high MPG and a warranty any day even if it isn't the nicest thing in the world. Cheap interior but plenty of leg room, standard A/C, etc.

Anyway, didn't Kia/Hyundai buy a bunch of Nissan engine designs not too long ago? I've heard nothing but good things about the newer Korean cars.

EDIT: Here http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-sedan?next=header.vehicles.postcard.vlp.image

T-spoon
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
You can also get a brand new Nissan Versa for less than both of those. I would take zero miles, high MPG and a warranty any day even if it isn't the nicest thing in the world. Cheap interior but plenty of leg room, standard A/C, etc.

Anyway, didn't Kia/Hyundai buy a bunch of Nissan engine designs not too long ago? I've heard nothing but good things about the newer Korean cars.

EDIT: Here http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-sedan?next=header.vehicles.postcard.vlp.image

PUKE. I'd get into a Yaris hatch again before I'd touch a Versa. Heck, the two Kia idea is probably better than the Versa. Just sayin....

4thgenceli
03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
No thanks on the Versa :P

Hyundai/Kia has a lot of makeup to do in my books before I'll even look at one of their vehicles. Poor customer service, poor quality products are two reasons.

I'm by no means jumping head first into whatever car I find. We've been looking for a few months at vehicles. We know were were wanting a Toyota, Mazda or Ford. That dealership linked above I have purchased cars from before with no problems as well as her parents. We are ok with buying a car, but would an SUV would be great (more room, camping, hunting, etc). After we left that mazda dealer we went over to the Toyota to look to see if they had anything in our price range. Turned out they had a 2007 Mazda5 sitting on the lot right in the proper price range (actually smack in the center, I can probably talk them down another grand). Took it for a drive, there was a clunk coming from the rear suspension and a ticking from the passenger front wheel. Other than that it drove great, nice smooth driving and shifts.

We almost bought it on the spot, but didn't. We decided to be smart about it and still wait. We have a meeting tomorrow with our mortgage officer to see where we're at. The past 2 years we've pinched penny after penny. After the appointment we'll have a better grasp of where we're at. If we're qualified (which I think we are) we'll hold off on the car and buy the house then buy a car a few months later. If we're still a few months out, we'll buy the car.

underscore
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
My parents have the smaller Hyundai SUV, I can't remember what they're called but they absolutely love it, a friend has a Forte that he bought a couple years back and he hasn't hit any problems yet, (he actually put a turbo kit on it this summer if you can believe it). Hyundai and Kia have improved A LOT in the last few years, I would seriously consider them if I was looking for a new SUV/sedan. I would definitely buy one of those over a Mazda.

The Captain
03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Have you considered a 4th gen Celica?

Luni
03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Id buy a Kia/Hyundai over any of the cars you have listed. :p

joe's gt
03-09-2013, 05:41 AM
I'd roll in newer hyundais and kias. I don't know much about SUVs, but I have been very impressed with the design of my nissan maxima.

celica9303
03-10-2013, 01:18 AM
What's with you and rebadged fords?

4thgenceli
03-10-2013, 02:32 AM
This was all put off due to other circumstances anyway. Just gonna keep nursing the Mazda and not driving the Toyota until then.