PDA

View Full Version : 5SFE Rebuild and turbo questions.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Hey folks. Just wondering if anyone knows of good parts and where to get them to rebuild my motor. I have a 91 Celica GTS with the 5SFE motor has 265K mies on it so want to rebuild and turbo it.

What is a good Overhaul Gaskit set that can handle the extra power?
Good Aluminum Radiator?
Good turbo kit and intercooler kit to get?
Good suff to rebuild head and forged pistons and rods?

Also are there any better cv axles you can get because I have heard horror stories of FWD cars shattering axles when tuning 4 cylinders expeiallyon Hondas.

I origonally wanted to get the sixth Gen 3sgte to put into it but now I I have a 350Z and want to make my z my weekend car and the celica a commuter but with a little bit of power. I figure I have seen really fast MR2s with this motor so why not?

4thgenceli
03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Usually those really fast MR2's have a built up 3sgte (either 185, 205 or 215). Plus the MR2's have a transmission that was built with the motor to handle the power with an optional LSD unit. If you stick with your stock transmission there isn't much you can do for upgraded axles. You'll need a different transmission. 95% of people get the e153 (the mr2) transmission then they use hybrid axles (alltrac/mr2). I have this sort of setup in my celica and it holds the power well (at least when my car is running).

muscle_bound89@Live.com
03-04-2013, 03:16 PM
so that transmission will bolt right up to my 5s motor?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
03-04-2013, 03:23 PM
What is good for turbo set up on the stock motor? I have seen ebay turbos cheap in price but i also hear there no good. they have the intercooler kits and turbo manifold too all pretty cheap.

4thgenceli
03-04-2013, 04:02 PM
The e153 will connect to your 5sfe yes. You'll need to use a hybrid clutch setup (5sfe flywheel, 5sfe pressure plate, e153 clutch disc and throwout bearing (I think that's the right way). Personally I'd be wary of ebay setups. There's a thread around here somewhere of a guy who built a 5sfte. Look around for it, that'll give you a lot of information.

Smaay
03-04-2013, 10:30 PM
actually the fidanza flywheel will bolt to both the 5S and 3S so if you get one of those you can use a full 3S-GTE clutch. get the OEM gasket kit from toyota for a 98 Camry with the 5S. it will have all the gaskets that you need. as for rods and pistons you dont need to spend money on those. the 5S-FE will make 250HP all day long with a good turbo kit and proper tuning.

as for the turbo kit, you really need to do some research. the 3S-GTE manifold and turbo will bolt right up to your engine. nobody make a "kit" so you will need to have a fabricator mold you an intercooler kit to fit.

look at what the 6th gen celicas have done to turbo their 5S-FE engine. it will be the same for you.

celica91gts
03-14-2013, 10:13 AM
3sgte exhaust manifold is a strait bolt on for your car. ct26(stock) ct27(ATS) or ct20(i believe is the jdm one?) is a great small commuter style turbo. That is also a direct bolt on for a 3sgte exhaust manifold. you need a FMIC. You need bigger injectors and a wideband to get a tune, or that motor will go boom. Need to gap the spark plugs colder too. (same as the 3sgte gap i believe.) What 4thgenceli says is true. An upgrade for a 5th gen Celica transmission would be for the MR2 transmission with LSD, a toyota solora transmission, or a 6th gen celica transmission.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Also what couldI do fo a better intake manifold? can a 3s bolt right up too? or would I have to have the stock one ported?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
03-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Ok so looking around on Ebay for forged pistons so I could possibly turbo it. CP and JE seam to be the most popular. But to do so I need a 3sgte cylinder head to do it. What all modifications need to be done to do this or will it bolt right up? And this is on the 5sfe block.

What is the term "Wideband"? and what kind of aftermarket injectors could I get and a feul management system for compensation the injectors?
Any good feul rails to get ive always herd good things about AEM.

I will be doing a total engine rebuild. so pistons, rods, valve springs, lifters, water pump, timing belt, radiator.
Is any of this unnecessary. Ive never done this will be having friends help me but I need to know what are some good products.

4thgenceli
03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Look for a thread by Pressure2. He built a very stout and reliable 5sfte. That thread should answer most, if not all, of your questions. Also you'd want a wideband o2, not narrow. Wideband will give you a more accurate o2 and rich/lean measurement.

grifter30
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
If you go through all of this to rebuild this engine and you get a 3S head, valves, springs, pistons, rods, etc, you're going to spend as much money as you would just getting a 3SGTE and swapping. If you have the time and just feel like rebuilding an engine and want the experience of it, go for it. But, if you're looking to get the car on the road with more power, you'd probably be better off going for the 3S swap. There's also boatloads of info on it.

underscore
03-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Ok so looking around on Ebay for forged pistons so I could possibly turbo it. CP and JE seam to be the most popular. But to do so I need a 3sgte cylinder head to do it. What all modifications need to be done to do this or will it bolt right up? And this is on the 5sfe block.

What is the term "Wideband"? and what kind of aftermarket injectors could I get and a feul management system for compensation the injectors?
Any good feul rails to get ive always herd good things about AEM.

I will be doing a total engine rebuild. so pistons, rods, valve springs, lifters, water pump, timing belt, radiator.
Is any of this unnecessary. Ive never done this will be having friends help me but I need to know what are some good products.

I think you need to better lay out your goals and financial/skill/time limits, and then do some more research before you get too far into this. If you just want a slightly faster commuter the best thing to do would be to freshen up and swap in a 3SGTE, keep it stock, and you'll have more than twice the power you're currently making with very little headache and expense compared to the things you're listing off right now.

Also I'm not sure how familiar you are with these cars, but there isn't a whole tonne of selection when it comes to a lot of aftermarket parts when compared to more common cars. Don't get me wrong, there's enough aftermarket support to build damn near anything you can dream of, but the vast majority of the companies producing parts for our cars are ones most tuners have never heard of.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
03-27-2013, 05:42 AM
Yea im just weighing my options right now. I havent bought anything. Currently deployed and considering even keeping the car. I have totally redone suspension other than bushing. KYB struts new strut hats Ibach lowering springs, drilled and slotted rotors, new remanufactured calipers. my other car is a 06 350z. For the 3500 bucks its going to cost to just order a 3sgte motor I can add alot more power to my Nissan.

So in other words it would be better to put money in the nissan. I had the same problem looking up aftermarket parts for the 94 camry I had because they were the same motor.

underscore
03-27-2013, 04:57 PM
You should be able to get everything you need for a lot less than that if you shop around a bit.

4thgenceli
03-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm at about $4k for my swap. That includes the car purchase and the 3-4 breakdowns that sidelined it for months at a time.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Mine is a GTS bought it for 1500 these ones are pretty rare next to the all track and the GT4. And I would say i have another 3 grand into suspension (struts, strut hats, lowering spring, shocks), leather seats, carpet new sway bar links, tie rods and tie rod ends, new ball joints havent installed yet though. I would say about 4500 bucks into it so far and havent touched the motor yet. Your suspension needs to be good before you put a shit load of power to the motor.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-04-2013, 12:58 PM
from forms I just read do do the 5sgte hybrid. you have to get the 3ste head they lign up perfectly but have to drill out the ports for water chanels. 3s oil pump 3s ecu.

Im not really looking to dump a boat load into this motor or buying a 3stge at this point. But I would like to rebuild the motor and put a turbo on it and keep it as my commuter. I found rebuild kits on ebay for a little over 300 bucks to include all gaskets, water pump, timing belt, pistons.

But the problem im running into is I cant find forged pistons for the 5sfe motor. everything ive found is made for either the 3s or for the 3s head and the 5s block.

My goal would be to get about 250 hp out of the motor I read the 5s can hold 300 horse power and dont need anymore than that. from what else ive read is the 3s turbo manifold bolts right up to the 5s would the intake manifold off a 3s fit the same?

grifter30
04-04-2013, 10:03 PM
from forms I just read do do the 5sgte hybrid. you have to get the 3ste head they lign up perfectly but have to drill out the ports for water chanels. 3s oil pump 3s ecu.

If you haven't read the full info on this particular bit of work, you probably want to do a compare and contrast with just swapping a 3sgte into the car...

Im not really looking to dump a boat load into this motor or buying a 3stge at this point. But I would like to rebuild the motor and put a turbo on it and keep it as my commuter. I found rebuild kits on ebay for a little over 300 bucks to include all gaskets, water pump, timing belt, pistons.

with a 5SGTE, you're basically going to get rid of the short block on the 3S, replace it with a 5S block, and keep everything else the same. It's pretty much just a 3SGTE with more displacement. A 3S head means 3S intake, 3S exhaust, 3S computer, 3S sensors, almost 3S everything.

But the problem im running into is I cant find forged pistons for the 5sfe motor. everything ive found is made for either the 3s or for the 3s head and the 5s block.

I'm not sure if the 3SGTE head design makes a difference, but my guess is that pistons that work on a 5S GTE would work on a 5S FE since the blocks are the same.

My goal would be to get about 250 hp out of the motor I read the 5s can hold 300 horse power and dont need anymore than that. from what else ive read is the 3s turbo manifold bolts right up to the 5s would the intake manifold off a 3s fit the same?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd wager that you'll spend as much or more time and money on getting 250hp out of some form of a 5S compared to just swapping a 3SGTE in. If you haven't made a list and really started looking at the numbers, you really need to. You also need to look at how many people have done a 5SGTE, 5SFTE vs 3SGTE swap. You'll find a lot more people with a 3S swap because it is the easiest and most straight-forward swap.

Just my 2 cents.

crymson
04-04-2013, 11:18 PM
I remember reading that 3S pistons don't work on the 5S head. I looked down the road of building a 5S-GE at one point, and decided that the cost, and the uniqueness of the engine (finding parts, getting help, etc) wasn't worth it. I'm with grifter on this, go for a straightforward swap over building a 5s-gte, a 3s-gte is well documented, available, and produces roughtly 250 hp. Even better there is aftermarket support for the 3s if you decided that the stock hpisn't enough.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Ok so what would it take to just do the 3s swap using the 3s trans. and keeping my GTs to front wheel drive?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Anoth thing I see is people do away with the top mount inter cooler and go with the FMIC? why is this? I think it looks much cooler wtih top mount and get the GT4 hood with the hole in the hood.

underscore
04-05-2013, 06:17 PM
If you have the stock top mount you can suffer from heat soak if your car is stationary for too long. The easiest way to swap the car would be to buy a halfcut so you have everything you need, and then sell off the spare body parts after. It's cheaper to just buy the engine and wiring harness + ECU but then you may spend more time hunting for individual parts to make it work.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
man too much money for a half cut car. they charge like 4 gran for it and im not trying to hold onto a lot of parts.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-06-2013, 06:29 AM
my plan is to do the sixth gen swap. quite a few people say thats the better motor. and been told I can use the stock transmissioon so i dont have to worry about different axles.
any insight on this?

grifter30
04-06-2013, 07:27 PM
What do you mean 6th gen swap?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-06-2013, 08:41 PM
putting the motor out of the sixth generation celica and put it in the fifth generation.

underscore
04-08-2013, 09:47 PM
last I checked the 6th gen also has a 5SFE so you're effectively swapping in the same motor. Also I'm not sure where you're getting your pricing but a complete swap or halfcut should be a lot cheaper than that.

grifter30
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Hey man, I just want to make sure you know we're not trying to poo poo your plans or be Debbie Downer here. Folks here really want to help, but also want to make sure you know what you're getting into and that you're fully informed.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Hmm from research over the last few day. for the 5s motor the forged pistons that advertis there made for the 5s block and 3s head is complete bullshit. you dont need a 3s head to use them. I found a site ill post that has a kit for them. (pisons, performance gasket kit)

In fact the 5s head makes for more torque i would probably just have the head machined down and possibly the intake runners.

The 5s Crank is already forged and i just read on an MR2 fourm that alot of people get them for the 3s engine to create more torque pluss they are cheap just get one out of a junk yard and machine it down to fit forged 3s internals.

A deffinate shopping list will either be JE or CP piston with Eagle rods, new gaskit kit for the motor, walbro feul pump, ct26 turbo, 3s oil pan if i can find one, stainless steel turbo manifold n exhaust.
have not done any research for cam gears or any of that stuff yet.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-14-2013, 07:34 AM
both the 3s and 5s motors can make for good power. just depends on if u have the money to buy a new moror as opposed to rebuilding a 5s.
i think i may just rebuild my 5s n get a turbo kit for it. considering all the 3s turbo stuff bolts right up to it.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I was talking about the 6th gen 3s motor. Dont know if ill go through with a swap though not if I can just put some power to the 5s and just rebuild what I already have.
Ive seen 3s motors on ebay for 1500 half cuts are about twice that much.

i been looking on MR2 forms also and theres some good to know info on them. read my most recent post for mods for the 5s.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-15-2013, 04:38 PM
a couple more quetions for you folks. Now that I found out the stock crank is already forged. due to my car having 260K miles on it. would it be worth buying a new one? I seen them on ebay for like 250 bucks. or take it to machine shop to have it smoothed out a little bit.

As for for the transmission. dont know how much hp stock trans can handle. but do they have clutch kits and stronger axles you can get, light weight flywheels? My plan is to get new axles from auto zone when i get home cause they have a core charge for the old ones. I replaced cv alxes on my old camry and they were about 300 bucks.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Reason why I asked that ive herd many stories of people boosting the hell out of their motor and snaping their axels.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Hey folks. I know I may sound a little indecisive about my plans. but for what I have a car payment on a new car. for the money to get a half cut 3s mother i thinki would rather spend the money to go ahead and buy my forged internals and the turbo kit for the 5s motor. they both about pan out to be the same once they are tuned. the 3s is more of a high rev motor as compared to the 5s wich has more torque. its just about what you want I guess. Id rather rebuild what already have for the learning experience so when i take my auto mechanics classes im ahead of the curb.

underscore
04-16-2013, 06:26 PM
If you want a better oil pan get the Moroso one. The standalone and dyno tuning time to run a 5SFE+T alone will likely cost as much as most of what you need for a basic 3SGTE swap. But you seem pretty determined to just do a 5SFE+T so uh, good luck.

In fact the 5s head makes for more torque

The 5SFE has an F head which is designed for economy, the 3SGTE has a G head which was designed by Yamaha and is capable of much more power because it flows better, not to mention actually having aftermarket cams, etc available for it if you ever go that route, as well as the ability to tweak the timing more easily.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Why not. the 5s creates more torque than the 3s. as for the head you could shave it down a little bit.

underscore
04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Last I checked 200 was higher than 150, where are you seeing the 5S making more torque? Either way, that head is not as well flowing because it's an economy head, not a performance head.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-19-2013, 07:34 AM
http://www.mr2.com/forums/turbo-engine-talk-modifications-swaps/Toyota-MR2-26120-why-use-5sfe-crank-3sgte.html

Replacing the crank shaft from the 5s in the 3s creates more torque.

ill have to find the one about the head.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
CP pistons said they can custom make 5sfe pistons. or should i just get the ones for 5sfe block with the 3sgte head? either way many different fourms say you dont need to have the 3s head.

fussellbug
04-23-2013, 10:26 PM
The Toyota Caldina (japanese sport wagon) was made with the 3S-GTE and available in both all wheel drive and front wheel drive versions. This ebay item is a good example of a perfect engine swap for a FWD 5th gen celica:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-03-CALDINA-CELICA-MR2-4TH-GEN-ST215-TURBO-ENGINE-5SPD-FWD-TRANS-JDM-3SGTE-/370797710465?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5655440c81&vxp=mtr
With this engine and transmission all you would need are motor mounts (front/back) and hybrid axles from an AllTrac/MR2 to put it into your GT-S. That would make the total swap cost less than $3000 if you do the labor yourself. And for reliable performance, you can't beat a factory 3S-GTE. It will also provide the maximum aftermarket parts availability and ease of future upgrades.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 06:47 AM
THanks alot. I may have to get it. after talking to my dad. turboing the 5sfe is not really worth it due to having to take the motor to a machine shop because you cant just take it apart and put it back together. forged internals alone are going to be about 1200 bucks. add all the other stuff id be at like 5 grand.

I would like to use a 5sfe crank in this though. alot of people do this mod to get more torque.

as for hybrid axles. cant I just go to say auto zone and get some axles from the 2.0. there great cause you get a core charge for your old ones.

And one other question why do people swap to the front mount intercooler? if it was me just to keep it easy get aftermarket turbo manifold and down pipe. they have sainless steel ones one beay fairly cheap (more open runners) can get a full exhaust system on ebay for 600 bucks with the turbo manifold and down pipe.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 06:49 AM
also know where i could get the GT4 bumper and crash bar? there is one for sale on ebay but they want a grand for it which is rediculous. I have part number to get one new but still not cheap.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 07:04 AM
If I dont get the gt4 bumper im just going to get a lip for my GTS bumper they look pretty cool from what ive seen.
and cut out those stupid teeth looking things that are on the bumper.

http://www.bodykits.com/AIT-Racing/Front-Bumper/Toyota-Celica-AIT-Racing-Zyclone-Style-Front-Lip-Add_On-_-TC90HITYZFAD/620366/

fussellbug
04-25-2013, 11:15 AM
as for hybrid axles. cant I just go to say auto zone and get some axles from the 2.0. there great cause you get a core charge for your old ones.

The driver side axle from an AllTrac will work but the passenger side axle will have to be pieced together because of the length difference in the axles. The transfer case for the AWD transmission makes for a shorter inner axle on the AllTrac so you have to get the longer inner axle from an MR2 or Camry.

underscore
04-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Are you wanting the Alltrac/GTFour bumper, which is a lot like the 92-93 GTS, or do you mean the RC/CS one?

I would like to use a 5sfe crank in this though. alot of people do this mod to get more torque.

I'd leave it with the stock crank for starters and see how you like it, that'll save you some work and $$$. How much torque is it supposed to add on a stock 3S setup? I've never heard of someone doing that to a 3S.

And one other question why do people swap to the front mount intercooler? if it was me just to keep it easy get aftermarket turbo manifold and down pipe. they have sainless steel ones one beay fairly cheap (more open runners) can get a full exhaust system on ebay for 600 bucks with the turbo manifold and down pipe.

The front mount is for heat, the top mount can get heat soaked in traffic and such. So long as you have an Alltrac hood and make stock power you should be fine with it though. You won't need an aftermarket manifold as the stock one isn't a restriction until 500HP or something, so you can save your money on that as well. Just get a good 2.5 or 3" downpipe (be wary of eBay) so you don't get boost creep and matching midpipe and catback and you're good to go.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 03:55 PM
What about the Caldina? the one that was posted has the front wheel drive transmission with it. would i be able to use the GTS axles then?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 04:11 PM
The CS/RC bumber is what im talking about.
I found an alltrack bumper in my local junk yard but it was all warped and cracked alot of the GTS models came with them too.

Here is the MR2 fourm i found that has that mod. it basically strokes out your engine to a 2.2 leater. will give u more low end torque and help to spool your turbo faster in case you want to go with a bigger turbo. I talked to someone who has driven both turbod and non turbod MR2s and he said there was a lot of turbo lag and they both drove about the same. so im going to see about sending mine off to the machine shop. and maybe get the cp pistons and eagle rods. later on would do the feul system.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/turbo-engine-talk-modifications-swaps/Toyota-MR2-26120-why-use-5sfe-crank-3sgte.html

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 04:12 PM
so best believe ill be taking out the crank on my 5s and doing this mod.

underscore
04-25-2013, 05:47 PM
It depends if the gains are worth the cost, you can take the Caldina motor, refresh a couple gaskets and toss it in stock, or you can spend more money and get new pistons and get your crank machined with new bearings, machine the flywheel holes, etc etc. It's doable, but it costs a lot more than a straight swap and would be creeping you up near 5 grand again (but a lot better than a 5SFE+T)

I've driven a stock MR2 and two stock GTFours and the MR2 definitely has a bit more lag but it wasn't what I would consider to be a lot, they'll only drive the same when the 3SGTE is off boost, once that kicks in the 5SFE is dead. I can't say what a GT2 would do though.

As far as fuel you'll need to upgrade your pump regardless of which route you take, if you get a Walbro 255 be damn sure you're getting it from a good dealer because there are tonnes of fakes floating around.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 08:04 PM
what is the 3sgte rated at stock on horse power?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-25-2013, 08:08 PM
and whats the deal with drilling out fly wheel holes? you can get clutch kits pretty cheap for these cars.

is there anything else needed to do the 5sfe crank mod? and dont most of your rods come with new bearings?

underscore
04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Roughly 220HP/200lbft for the 2nd gen engine which came in the 5th gen Celica/2nd gen MR2. The 5S crank is different from the 3S so you'll need to get the holes drilled out a bit to run a 3SGTE flywheel/clutch kit on a 5S crank (the holes form a larger circle)

fussellbug
04-25-2013, 10:41 PM
What about the Caldina? the one that was posted has the front wheel drive transmission with it. would i be able to use the GTS axles then?

The Caldina used the E153 transmission which requires different axles. The GT-S axles probably wouldn't hold up to the higher horsepower anyway.

what is the 3sgte rated at stock on horse power?

The rated horsepower changed with each generation of the engine. The Caldina used the 4th and final version of the 3S-GTE and was rated at 256hp.

and whats the deal with drilling out fly wheel holes?

The end of the crankshaft where the flywheel bolts on has a different pattern on the 5S crank than on the 3S crank. You either need to machine the end of the crank to match the 3S flywheel or use a flywheel made for the 5S.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Im talking about putting the 5s crank into the 3s engine. wasnt going to mess with the clutch other than if i get an aftermarked clutch kit.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-26-2013, 07:22 AM
thanks ill keep that in mind when i start the project.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-26-2013, 07:24 AM
since id be having machined down any ways it would work?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-26-2013, 07:41 AM
For CV axles is their a direct answer as to what i can and cant use?

fussellbug
04-26-2013, 09:19 PM
For CV axles is their a direct answer as to what i can and cant use?

The direct answer is that you can not use your GT-S axles with the E153 transmission. You will have to piece together outer axles from an AllTrac Celica and inner axles from and MR2 or Camry

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-26-2013, 09:57 PM
ok off of what year mr2 or camry? more than likely ill be getting the caldna engine with the front wheel drive trans.

underscore
04-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Search for E153 into a 5th gen and you'll get your answers, or look up which MR2's had the E153.

since id be having machined down any ways it would work?

You'll need to get the flywheel holes machined out to fit on the 5S crank.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
04-27-2013, 04:01 PM
how to piece together the axles to fit my GTS hubs?
or is there any one type of cv axles u can buy?

zen
05-06-2013, 09:47 PM
alltrac outer axles (splines fit the hub), mr2 inner axles (splines fit the trans)they both mate up by bolting them together via 6 hex bolts.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Roger that. what year of MR2 axles should I get.
Should I go to autozone to get remanufactured axles or try my luck at junk yards?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-24-2013, 08:10 AM
It seams to be official im going to get a second gen 3sgte for about 1200 bucks. its comming out of an 91 MR2. hes going to throw in the axles for me (if i get new cv axles for the 5sfe tranny which i believe its the sw20 tranny will they work?). and has the conversion done for the 5sfe tranny done already. resurfaced flywheel. new clutch. aftermarket top mount intercooler.? not trying to hunt down all track axles

also getting the all track front bumper with fog lights and the bumper support for 45 bucks so cant beat that deal. really want the cs/rc bumper but the all track one still looks nice.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-25-2013, 05:10 AM
what do you have to do to use the mr2 transmission? on my celica?

dkrew
05-27-2013, 09:07 PM
I just blew the 5s on my fifth gen gt4 Build. I want to do a 3s drop but im low on funds at the moment . How ever a buddy of mine is willing to donate his old MR2 5s . Now my question is will the second gen 5s fit the fifth gen . As in a direct drop hypothetically it should right since its part of the Toyota s family . is it just the alternator bracket that needs to be switched and fuel rail or dose it get harder ?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-30-2013, 10:35 AM
from what everyone has told me it should be a simple swap they have done all the generations for the 3s engines in the celica. the guy im getting it from has his 3s bolted up to the mr2 engine. the sw20 trans from the mr2 is what you need. as for mounts Im figuring ill just buy new motor and transmission mounts from an all track if i could find them. not 100 percent though.

other than hybrid axles. but from research on ebay all the 5th gen axles should fit.