PDA

View Full Version : I know it is not a celly, but it is a FX-16?

buffalohunter7321
03-02-2013, 09:23 PM
From the new old man!!!
I'm going on 65 and starting to forget things and one of them is not turning my head lights off in the FX. So here is my ?. Is there away of hooking up the key left in the ignition buzzer, to warn me that I left my lights on?
Or is there any other ways of doing this? Like when I turn my key off it turns off the power to the lights?
Jack

UtahSleeper
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
If they are powered by a relay, cant you just find it and change the source of the trigger (replace the constant power with ignition). Or maybe look up how newer cars do it for the buzzer. Any pics? I love those cars.

rizin
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Here is a simple idea.
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt108/rizin22/buzzer.png

buffalohunter7321
03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Need more of hands on learning type of how to go about doing this. What might seem simple to some is confusing too others! Others being me.
If they can do it on the new cars it can be done on the older ones too.

joe's gt
03-04-2013, 03:43 AM
Relays have been around forever. They are excellent electromagnetic, non-mechanical switches essentially. The diagram rizin showed you above is just a buzzer tapped into your headlight power wire and ignition wire. When your ignition switch is off and when your headlights are on, the current will flow from your headlight power through post 87a and 30 to ground resulting in a completed circuit and sounding the buzzer, indicating your keys are out of the ignition and your headlights are still on. When your ignition switch is on, the electromagnet in the relay will switch the connection from post 87a to 87 (where nothing is connected) so the buzzer won't have a complete circuit and nothing will happen. Your headlights will function as intended. If your headlights are off, regardless of what position your ignition switch is in, there will be no power fed to the buzzer, so it will not sound.

You could actually hook up a relay so it turns off your headlights instead of sounding a buzzer, post 86 would go to ground, post 30 would be the headlight power wire coming from the switch end and post 87a would be headlight power going out to the headlight. However, its a little more risky, because if your relay fails, your headlights go out. Where as with Rizin's method, you can just tap into the wire, rather than creating an opening in the circuit.