PDA

View Full Version : Power steering leak

4thgenceli
02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
WTF. This car is loving to piss out it's P/S fluid.

I can't quite tell where it's coming from. It could be the line to the reservoir or a seal (as the whole pump is wet).

How bad/involved is the a rebuild/reseal of the power steering pump? I only see 3 or 4 gaskets plus a bearing.

Shadowlife25
02-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Just D/C the belt until you can get it sorted Tim.
No PS is a pain, but not terrible.

Hipster Lawrence
02-26-2013, 01:11 AM
The ps pump is easy. Self explanatory.

Shadowlife25
02-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Indeed Larry, just saying until he has time to sort it, pulling the belt should take care of it spitting everywhere (or as much anyhow).

T-spoon
02-26-2013, 02:13 AM
Clean it up real good and if you can't spot any leaking try with the car running and if still not then have someone crank the wheel while you check it out and see where it's coming from. If it's a line to or from the reservoir that's leaking (or the reservoir itself), that could show up even without the pump running and of course running the pump will show you any high pressure line, rack or pump leaks.

AznKlique
03-03-2013, 02:54 PM
I've been dealing with a leaky power steering pump for a while now. I've managed to replace the high pressure hose, but looks like the unit is still leaking. I've been trying to remove the pump but the top bolt is near impossible to get to. Any recommendations on getting to that bolt? Is it better to go from the top or from the bottom? This leak is annoying the crap out of me! Also, should I remove the cross member?

fussellbug
03-03-2013, 09:01 PM
I found the easiest way to get to the PS pump was while I had the passenger axle out. That left me with enough room to get my arms up to the pump from underneath. If you replaced the high pressure hose with the pump in place, you may not have the banjo bolt tight enough to make a good seal.

AznKlique
03-04-2013, 04:34 AM
The area around the PS pump is totally gunked up and it's hard to tell where the leak is coming from. I'm going to hope its the orings on the pump and hope its not the rack. Is there a clear way of telling if the rack is leaking?