PDA

View Full Version : name that part

celicaman97
02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Okay guys. It's a little blue thing with an electrical connection and a vacuum line connects to it, it mounts on the block under the intake, do I need it? The electrical wires pulled out of the clip , if I do I'm gonna have.to get a pigtail for it, also would you happen to have a vacuum diagram or some pics for a 1990 5sfe. Thanks !!

4thgenceli
02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Pictures say 1000 words.

But it sounds like it's your power steering idle up switch.

celicaman97
02-24-2013, 06:27 PM
If it is that do I have to have it ?

93celicaconv
02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Okay guys. It's a little blue thing with an electrical connection and a vacuum line connects to it, it mounts on the block under the intake, do I need it? The electrical wires pulled out of the clip , if I do I'm gonna have.to get a pigtail for it, also would you happen to have a vacuum diagram or some pics for a 1990 5sfe. Thanks !!

Define what you mean by "do I need it"????

If it mounts to the block itself, it is probably the EGR VSV (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Vacuum Switching Valve). But this device should have 2 vacuum lines connected to it. You mention "a vacuum line", suggesting only 1 vacuum line connection. If this is the case, then 4thgenceli is likely right on his thought.

celicaman97
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Actually it does have 2 vacuum ports, so it is the egr switch,

GT-Steezy
02-25-2013, 02:21 AM

If I can get to a scanner I have a printout from Toyota that shows the vacuum lines in relation to the engine. I spent hours in the junkyard trying to find one but they either broke or I couldn't access them. I didn't notice a difference before and after but it's one of those peace of mind things for me. It's there and working now.

TheHound
02-25-2013, 10:59 AM
the egr vsv you won't really need, unless you would like to pass emissions tests. (by this i mean, it will run without it..)

as for vacuum lines, have you tried downloading a repair manual for the 5s-fe? i found one online if you need a link for the .pdf download.

93celicaconv
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
the egr vsv you won't really need, unless you would like to pass emissions tests.

Interesting advice here. The 1990 Rev 1 5S-FE does not have a knock sensor. EGR is used to help reduce combustion temperatures, not only to reduce combustion oxides (CO, NOx, etc.), but to help prevent pre-ignition due to elevated temperatures in the combustion chambers. The Rev 1 5S-FE cannot adjust timing due to pre-ignition like the Rev 2 5S-FE (1992 on up) can. Of course, if this partciular 5S-FE is worn sufficiently that combustion pressures are low, probably not a big deal. But this would not be good advice on a health Rev 1 5S-FE.

celicaman97
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
That would be great GT and thehound, the engine has around 125,000 so yes I need it or no ? And I do not have pass any emission tests here

Shadowlife25
02-25-2013, 11:23 PM
If it is working, Leave it alone.
As 93CelicaConv pointed out, it serves a purpose.
That being said, why would you want to remove it? There is zero performance gain from doing so and in fact it can even be detrimental. (if it is the EGR VSV)
Just fix the harness section with a pigtail as you mentioned or simply get new pins and repin it so that it remains as stock.
If it is for the power steering, I would still say leave it as stock. You may not think you "need" it but it is a nice convenience add on. Especially in tight spaces.
Like any car, once you are in motion it is not of much consequence but lets face it, there are definitely times when it is great to just have it and not need it.

Best of luck :)

celicaman97
02-26-2013, 02:23 AM
okay, can i still get a link or download for a vacuum diagram ? my email is brandonallen.allen70@gmail.com

93celicaconv
02-26-2013, 02:52 AM
okay, can i still get a link or download for a vacuum diagram ? my email is brandonallen.allen70@gmail.com

You should have a vacuum diagram found on a sticker under your hood, which would show all your EGR & EVAP vacuum devices.

Otherwise, this might help you - just ignore the red arrows and wording - that was for another 5S-FE EGR situation.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/jarosin/5S-FEEGRSystem_zps4fcbf122.jpg

GT-Steezy
02-26-2013, 08:51 AM
I will get on finding that printout and I will email it to you. I could possibly upload it to the site if anyone feels it would be helpful.

TheHound
02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
i apologies for the bad advice, i thought it had already broken. if it does work then yes leave it on as everyone said. i'm running my celica without one at the moment because it broke.

i have just emailed you the link for a repair manual as well

celicaman97
02-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks! and what is the metal vacuum line that bolts on the back of the intake manifold with two bolts, what does the hoses go to ? i cannot find a diagram for that, thanks!

DanteDemont
03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
I will get on finding that printout and I will email it to you. I could possibly upload it to the site if anyone feels it would be helpful.

That would be very helpful actually.