PDA

View Full Version : door locks

123crazy
02-23-2013, 12:22 AM
my driver side door wont unlock or lock.. i have to do it manually.. do i have to plug it in somewer or how does tht work??

crymson
02-23-2013, 01:18 AM
I'm not sure that I understand the problem. Do you have power locks or manual locks? do you have remote entry? and is this behavior new, or has it been doing this for a long time?

Galcobar
02-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Details really help when asking questions and expecting answers.

Did you install new door locks? Remove/replace the door panels? Drive into the mountains and get cold? Using a remote? When you say manually, do you mean with the switch on the inside or only via the key?

Lacking such information: yes you have to plug in the electric door switches for them to work. The plugs are inside the door, and in the relay box, and at the lock control module under the dash.

123crazy
02-23-2013, 02:37 AM
lol my bad.. their power locks. but the driver side wont lock and unlock unless u do it manually.. passenger side wont unlock unless the key is in the on possition or the car is running.. no i dont have keyess entry the switch inside

Galcobar
02-23-2013, 03:38 AM
One of the reasons people critique grammar is due to lack of clarity. Your responses aren't clear, both because they lack the information requested and because grammatical errors create ambiguity.

Does the driver-side lock operate when you press the driver-side power lock button?
Does the passenger-side lock operate when you press the driver-side power lock button?
Does the driver-side lock operate when you press the passenger-side power lock button?
Does the passenger-side lock operate when you press the passenger-side power lock button?
Does each door lock operate when you use the manual switch inside?
Does each door lock operate when you use the key in the respective door?
Does the passenger-side lock operate when you double-twist the key in the driver-side lock?
Do the doors unlock if you try to lock them while the door is open and the key in the ignition?

In order for someone to diagnose a problem via forum messages, you need to describe the exact circumstances under which the problem does (or doesn't) occur.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?47767-If-you-want-help-troubleshooting-READ-THIS.

123crazy
02-23-2013, 04:26 AM
The buttons work good. They both make a trigger noise. And only the passenger side lock and unlocks. The driver side does nothing

crymson
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Is the lock switch (the mechanical one at the handle, not the electric one) stiff? On mine the grease wore away (it's been ~20 years after all) and a little bit of white lithium fixed it right up, of course I had to take the door apart to do that.

93celicaconv
02-23-2013, 05:27 PM
The buttons work good. They both make a trigger noise. And only the passenger side lock and unlocks. The driver side does nothing

It's not clear to me exactly what is going on, but I am interpretting the following:

- the key lock (outside of the door, in the door handle unit) locks & unlocks each door manually properly
- the manual rocker bottons in the door handle area of the inside of both doors lock & unlock their respective doors on both sides properly
- the passenger door locks & unlocks properly using the electrical switches from either the driver or passenger side
- the driver door does not lock or unlock using the electrical switch on the driver side door (inside), but you can hear the door lock motor making a sound when you use the driver side door lock switch

If this is all correct, then I would believe the metal link between the door lock motor and the door lock mechanism is no longer connected to one of the two devices anymore. Somewhat uncommon (the link involving the outside door handle is normally the one that comes apart if a link separates).

The links in the door system are held in place to prevent them from disconnecting with a plastic clip on each end. Often, with repeated use, these plastic clips break, and when they do, there is nothing that holds the metal link to the mechanism tabs anymore, so the links just fall out of the the tabs. Replacement plastic clips can be obtained from the dealer, and some auto parts stores sell them in packets. The links are easy to reconnect with a new plastic clip. The hard part is getting to the disconnected links - requires removal of the inside door panel - and the door panel has several hidden fasteners and some of the plastic fasteners used tend to break when removed, or the door panel itself can break where the fasteners are inserted - you need to be very careful removing the inner door panel, especially if you have never done so before.

123crazy
02-23-2013, 06:35 PM
ok thanx

123crazy
02-26-2013, 12:23 AM
ok i took apart my door. and it apears tht i did not have the motor for the locks. nd while i was their i installed a alarm system. nd a new motor for the locks. nd it works like a charm thnx for terying to trouble shoot my problem :)

93celicaconv
02-26-2013, 02:58 AM
ok i took apart my door. and it apears tht i did not have the motor for the locks. nd while i was their i installed a alarm system. nd a new motor for the locks. nd it works like a charm thnx for terying to trouble shoot my problem :)

Are you saying the door lock motor mechanism was missing, but it is present and working on the passenger door? How did you hear the driver's side make a noise then when you used the lock switch on the driver door?

At any rate, I'm glad you found a replacement door lock motor mechanism, got it installed and working again!

123crazy
02-27-2013, 03:36 AM
i guess it was the nois of the relay i was hearing.. not sure. nd thnx