PDA

View Full Version : Another "Is she dead?" Thread, with Pictures!! (Oh, and it's a turdcel...)

Lonestag
02-22-2013, 05:13 AM
Ok, so here we go.

I've had my 95 Tercel "Rattle Can" for about 4-5 years now. It has eaten a couple of transmissions (the autocrossing and myself might have been the problem there) but has been otherwise Eli proof. She has done thousands of miles for me, almost never dropping under 30mpg, under the most demanding conditons. Oh, and I paid almost nothing for her.

Then a couple months back, while Ash (the token fiance) was driving, the oil light came on, and then the car stopped. The oil light had been coming on at start-up for a while, but would always go out after a few seconds or a hard rev.

She had it towed home and I pondered my options.

Do I try to fix the oil pump knowing damn well that I might spend hours and hours under the car just to discover that the damage was more extensive then I realized?

Do I replace the entire engine?

Do I just give up? It's a cheap car, it's done a lot of miles (150k) and some of the later ones hadn't been easy...

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/0/3/9/ovr-fe2-h1-6-9-2012-mm_20-_20131_thumb.jpg

Well, I decided to at least take it apart and see what there was to see.

And here it was...

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/0/3/9/ptdc0027_thumb.jpg

The oil pump had exploded.

I have never done any repairs as extensive as an oil pump replacement. I had to replace the timing belt as well, which meant lining up the the camshaft and the driveshaft. Another thing I have never done.

So after four months and a half-assed heli-coil job later. It was all back together. Initial results were promising. Started it up without the accesory belts attached and after a couple of chugs, she started up.

Great! Lets take her around the block.

So I put on the lower timing cover and the belts and started her up again to take her around the block. The engine came to life, ran roughly for a few seconds and died. I wasn't worried. It stalled the first I started it, seemed normal after sitting as long as it had. Well, I turned the key again and click---nothing. The engine was locked.

So, i'm not sure where to go from here. I have to assume there is some greater problem, possibly worn bearings, though I wouldn't know for sure.

The car isn't really worth anything, just has a lot of sentimental value (ok, I've never sold a car, and I own like 8). So is it just time to move on to the next project? I would really like to have another daily driver to keep miles off my one nice car. Also, I really don't know if I can afford a whole new engine right now. And If I decided to do somthing drastic like a rebuild, It would be another six or ten months of working on a car that isn't a Celica.

I did notice when I was putting it together that the lower end could only be turned over with the starter. It was free for a lot of the range, but would lock up at one point, even with all the spark plugs out (I assumed it may have been building up compression). Could that be one of the bearings?

Sigh, I still have a lot to learn.

Hookecho
02-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Toasted motor was toast before. I'm sure the last time it ran dry and hot from lack of lubrication the bearings, rings, and cylinder walls took a thrashing. I'm sure there was plenty of debris in the guides that needed cleaned out. You pretty much just wasted your money.

Lonestag
02-22-2013, 03:16 PM
You pretty much just wasted your money.

The guy I work for feels the same way, my point was learning experiance blah blah blah...

At least I know I can do the work now.

I thinking I might save her, so many memories and really no rust...

Not many cars in my life like that.

Hookecho
02-22-2013, 04:54 PM
I've wasted money too so don't feel bad.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-22-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm wasting my money right now!

Pull a motor from a yard and drop it in. That's a good $150 with warranty. Run it till she dies again.

UtahSleeper
02-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Pull a motor from a yard and drop it in. That's a good $150 with warranty. Run it till she dies again.

+1 Finding that motor should be easy and cheap.

Doowstados
02-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Should be easy to swap too in a tercel, maybe a weekend job if you don't do anything to the new engine.

Murgatroy
02-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Hell, if you put some effort into it you can have the new motor living between the fenders in a day.

Then you can spend the second day replacing all the shit you broke on the first day.

More fun that way.

Doowstados
02-23-2013, 03:47 AM
Hell, if you put some effort into it you can have the new motor living between the fenders in a day.

Then you can spend the second day replacing all the shit you broke on the first day.

More fun that way.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it worked for me. Just be careful and don't lose bolts, that was my biggest problem.

MCcelica
02-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Sammich bags and a sharpie, yall. Sammich bags and a sharpie.

Lonestag
02-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Sammich bags and a sharpie, yall. Sammich bags and a sharpie.

Yeah, i'm with you on that one!

I'm just worried about finding a decent motor. Not many out there that were taken care of.

It would be fun to find a 5EFHE, that would be a handy little 10hp boost.

bloodMoney
02-25-2013, 09:29 PM
looky looky ELI (http://www.japandirectjapanese.com/product.php?productid=749&cat=2&page=1)

MCcelica
02-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks for that Chris. I'll be looking into an engine/trans/ecu swap for the 6th gen before she sees pavement again. Bookmarked for future reference.

Lonestag
02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Although I temporarily slipped far enough into insanity to consider it Chris, I already have one turblow project going, and I would love to regain this car's 40MPG abilities, so probably not this time.

bloodMoney
02-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Glad to help. :)