PDA

View Full Version : engine just installed wont turn over

celicaman97
02-22-2013, 12:33 AM
okay i have a 1990 celica gts, just got a 2.2 from the junkyard and i know its not locked up, i rotated it more than two full rotations and i installed it and now i cant get it to rotate to align the torque converter bolts, i need help ! could the torque converter need pushed back into the transmission ?? please help!!!

KoreanJoey
02-22-2013, 12:39 AM
You should be able to just push it in with your hand. If not you might have tweaked the the fit between the torque converter and the flexplate.

Also, are you sure that you've got the right order on the shims?

celicaman97
02-22-2013, 12:41 AM
what shims ?

celicaman97
02-22-2013, 12:47 AM
ive only tried turning it over with a breaker bar and socket, i havent tried the starter yet so im not sure if your talking about the starter shims

KoreanJoey
02-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Oh, sorry, I re-read your post. The shims I was talking about are on either side of the flexplate.

By the sounds of it your torque convertor was out of alignment with your crankshaft when you installed it and it's now bound up. Sorry to tell you this but you might have to take the transmission back out or at least loosen it in order to rotate the assembly and ensure that everything is lined up.

rizin
02-22-2013, 01:24 AM
He is talking about the shims between the flexplate and crank.

celicaman97
02-22-2013, 01:25 AM
So i can just loosen it up and seperate them and push the torque converter back in and then retighten ? if so i will be jumping for joy !!!!! i thought i would have to pull the engine again!!!!

KoreanJoey
02-22-2013, 01:57 AM
well hopefully you won't have to. as you loosen it keep trying to turn the crank pulley.

celicaman97
02-22-2013, 02:49 AM
i got it to spin finally! and connected 3 of the 6 torque converter bolts, and bolted up the two side transmission mounting bolts, i dont know if its because not all of them are bolted up or what but now it only spends a little bit

KoreanJoey
02-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Remember, one of the bolts is a different color, tighten that one first, that's the one that centers the torque converter to the flex plate.

celicaman97
02-22-2013, 06:25 PM
are the bolts for the torque converter short and kinda chunky ? and is the special bolt lighter or darker ?

celicaman97
02-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Okay guys i just want to thank you for all your help, i got the torque converter bolted up and it now spins good except for one spot each rotation its kinda rough but i can still do it by hand, i think its just from sitting for a few years at the junkyard, i also got the alternator and a/c compressor bolted up and all the transmission to engine bolts on, Now for the headache of vacuum lines and electrical connections and the fuel line,

Doowstados
02-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Are your plugs in? On the compression stroke you would have a harder time turning it until it reaches TDC, unless the plugs are out. If they're out, try squirting a little (little!) bit of oil into the cylinders to help re-lube the cylinder walls and see if that helps.

Did you rotate the engine before hand and notice this rough spot? If it wasn't rough before, I would check the TC installation again. If it's off you'll burn out the torque converter in no time flat, and damage the thrust bearing and crankshaft. In fact, as you're replacing the engine, I would be suspicious of the torque converter and check to make sure it's clearances are correct and that it is functioning properly by using the TC inspection guide in the BGB.

Ask me how I know about TC's destroying thrust bearings. :waveyoz:

celicaman97
02-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Well I got the starter and I had to get a new battery lastnight, but I took the plugs out and put a little oil down in each cylinder and unplugged the injectors just to kinda prime the engine and everything spun good. I didn't act like it was catching at all, and I think the plugs were in when I was doing it by hand, because it got easier after TDC

KoreanJoey
02-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Yeah, it was probably just compression. Sounds like you should be good to go.