PDA

View Full Version : 93 celica 5s-fe BIG issue.

TheHound
02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
So i recently blew a head gasket in my Celica. we removed the head and replaced the gasket and put everything back together fine, except for the fact that we broke the EGR VSV.

After everything was put back together, we started it and it idles perfectly in park and neutral. revs freely and easily to 5k.
But when we put load on the engine the revs turn sluggish, it has no power at all, hardly gets up a slight hill and won't go over 40km/h.

the dizzy seems fine
The fuel pump is about 5 months old-no issue there
Sparks are strong
170 compression across all 4
5S-FE engine

it seems perfectly fine, revs beautifully when in neutral but as soon as its in reverse or drive it just has no power and wont rev.. any ideas?

93celicaconv
02-21-2013, 02:19 PM
The broken EGR VSV would not cause your symptoms. It will result in increased emissions though.

Compression is a little low for that engine, but not terrible. Are you absolutely sure you got your mechanical timing (timing belt - crank-to-cam timing) spot on? Or that it didn't jump a tooth due to insufficient timing belt tension? Did you check your ignition timing with a timing light using the procedure stated on the sticker under the hood?

These would be the first areas I would look into - fairly easy to check.

TheHound
02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
emissions will destroy me, i have no CAT either at the moment..

Are you absolutely sure you got your mechanical timing (timing belt - crank-to-cam timing) spot on? Or that it didn't jump a tooth due to insufficient timing belt tension? Did you check your ignition timing with a timing light using the procedure stated on the sticker under the hood?

yes we used the proper tools to get it all sorted and spot on, even took it to a well reputed mechanic and he double checked and confirmed it was all good. Yet he didn't want to work on the car to find out what was wrong..

KoreanJoey
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Definitely sounds like mechanical timing.

93celicaconv
02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
yes we used the proper tools to get it all sorted and spot on, even took it to a well reputed mechanic and he double checked and confirmed it was all good. Yet he didn't want to work on the car to find out what was wrong..

What is the ignition timing?

underscore
02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Silly question, how is your alternator and the belt?

TheHound
02-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Timing appears to be correct. the mechanic double checked all our settings, ignition timing was correct, timing marks on cam gears were correct, valve clearances were correct, the mechanic tried advancing it slightly and retarding it slightly but it didn't make a difference

as the check engine light is always on we suspect it's in some sort of 'limp home' mode

Alternator and belts seem fine.

KoreanJoey
02-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Check the codes and see what's the cause before you go any further.

TheHound
02-22-2013, 09:15 AM
thanks for all the replies

i may check out the codes, but i think the car has had its day, and will look into selling it for scrap/parts.

93celicaconv
02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
So you put all that work into it replacing a head gasket, and now with the check engine light on, you won't even get the DTC's stored in the ECU? That I don't understand - but it is up to the owner.

TheHound
02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
I am getting those codes first thing in the morning, but the car itself is in pretty bad shape, and the more i look at it the more issues we are seeing. next issue we will have after this is discover why the area for the spark plugs keep filling with water.

Lots of indecisiveness, for all i know i may end up buying a new engine.

93celicaconv
02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
next issue we will have after this is discover why the area for the spark plugs keep filling with water.

Are you saying you are getting water in the spark plug tubes, where the spark plugs at the bottom are getting submerged in water?

If so, that would be an interesting issue. I wouldn't know where the water would come from. Are your spark plug wire boots (that seal at the top of the engine's valve cover) is good shape and covering the spark plug tubes properly?

Galcobar
02-23-2013, 12:11 AM
When water's getting where it shouldn't, that's usually a head gasket issue. Might be that you have errant coolant in the combustion chambers which is working its way up the threads (it would be under pressure) of the spark plugs.

TheHound
02-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Are you saying you are getting water in the spark plug tubes, where the spark plugs at the bottom are getting submerged in water?

If so, that would be an interesting issue. I wouldn't know where the water would come from. Are your spark plug wire boots (that seal at the top of the engine's valve cover) is good shape and covering the spark plug tubes properly?

yeah that's what i'm saying, its like when the engine is running heaps of condensation builds up in there, which is very weird
the spark plug wire boots are in good condition

When water's getting where it shouldn't, that's usually a head gasket issue.
Noooooo hahah, we just replaced that :(

Galcobar
02-23-2013, 03:40 AM
In replacing the head gasket, did you check that the head and block were within spec?

TheHound
02-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Yeah, we did

okay so i just checked the diagnostics, and i got an engine code of 52.

TheHound
02-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Believe that is the knock sensor.. easy fix right?

KoreanJoey
02-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Should be.

TheHound
02-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Appreciate the help everyone, will let you know if it gets sorted.

93celicaconv
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
I would think the chances high that a wiring connection at the knock sensor was removed to pull the head out, and wasn't reconnected. Or if the connection wasn't removed, it got damaged during the head removal/installation process. There is a small chance the wiring in the harness was damaged during the work on the head. I would just check the wiring harness connection at the knock sensor - this likely will be a simple fix.

TheHound
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
I would think the chances high that a wiring connection at the knock sensor was removed to pull the head out, and wasn't reconnected.
Yeah haha, i am assuming this will be the issue as i don't recall reattaching a wire near there.. thanks for all the assistance. if the rain stops tomorrow ill go check it out and keep you all posted if i fix it or not! :)

TheHound
02-24-2013, 01:55 AM
It's fixed!! the knock sensor was not plugged in properly. we attached that, then gave the spark plugs a good clean and now we are in business again! gonna adjust the timing because the mechanic put it forward too much.

KoreanJoey
02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Sweet. Glad to hear that.